Do you workout with your significant other?

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My hubby and i have different work schedules and I end up getting done with my workout around the time he gets done with work. He has a lifting buddy he goes with. I do wish we were able to workout together more often, because i do enjoy it, but it just doesn't pan out that way.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Yes and No; I run faster so my husband runs when I run but he runs 2 miles and then walks while I run my 5-13 miles.

Weight training; he'll weight train with me but I'm usually doing the Tough Mudder Boot camp and he's just in the same room weight training with me. He WILL take over my stop watch monitoring so he can make me cardio longer than the 2 minutes on my workout ...he's ornery that way. :wink:

We do go mountain biking and hiking together, truly together.
  • khernandez331
    khernandez331 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    my husband and I work out together - keeps us motivated and accountable. He does his work out (mostly lifting) and I do mine (mostly cardio with a little lifting) It works for us and we love that extra time together :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I regularly work out with my SO - it was a really great motivator *most* of the time, though I've definitely noticed that there are times when I need to be alone and when he needs to do his own thing too.

We were in the same boat, where he was very fit before we got together and then chose to spend more time with me than at the gym while we were dating :)

When we first started working out together we would go for runs. Well, jogs. Well, kinda-sometimes-jogs. I was absolutely horrible and could barely go a quarter km. He was very supportive of me, though eventually as he got back in his groove we got to a point where he was much more capable than I was and needed to go at his own pace to get any sort of benefit from being out. I would get really upset with him if he ran ahead of me, and though he never complained, it was very unfair of me to hold him back like that... so I had to start running (or jog-hobbling) on my own to build my capabilities up without affecting his workouts.

Now he's moved into a building with a gym and we go run on treadmills together. That's really helped, since we're both still at very different paces, though I do miss running outdoors!
  • Swats915
    Swats915 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every chance we get!!

We started walking together last October. Now we run together, after work cuz I am not an am person, 3-4 times a week. We also hit up the driving range, play golf and do some cross training together. He is my biggest motivator and the reason I push myself each day. I love that on our runs I have his undivided attention for an hour and we talk the whole time. Together this year we have ran our first 5k and 10k and are training for a 14k and a half. We have always had a solid happy loving relationship but working out together has brought us to a new level of closeness and I couldn't be happier about it.

I hope it works out for you like it has for us!
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Our work schedules (I work from home, she's a retails sales manager) make it difficult to do so every day but we do try to walk and workout together as much as possible. We enjoy the time together and it makes us both feel better :)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    No...she thinks lifting will make her bulky

This. And it's frustrates me so much.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    nope.....i'm single.....I work out by myself....:)....it's great having no one around.....can concentrate better.....lol
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sometimes me and my wife works out together... But I dont go as hard as I should so I loose focus.. Thats why I go alone sometimes:brokenheart:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    We work out together almost every day. We like it like that. We are a little competitive but we also don't mind losing...at least to each other...so it works out.

i'm in the final stage of NROLFW and once done I will be taking on his lifting routine so we will be lifting together (right now we usually end up at opposite ends of the gym given our routines...him in the cage, me at the free weights....

but we both end our work out on the track or the treadmills for our run.
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If I had a SO, I would want to work out with him. And by that actually workout, not just weirdly watch him in the gym like some of the girls I see.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I thought I would HATE working out with my hubby because he's a big know it all lol, but I LOVED it. He pushed me further than I'd push myself, and I think probably worked out harder himself to show off. :blushing: We were only able to workout together for a few months, though, then life changed and schedules :grumble: . I really miss working out with him, so I say go for it! Have fun, and enjoy that time together! :drinker:
  • jennynewbury
    jennynewbury Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lol rather than being the girl who won't lift because it could make me 'bulky', I live in the free weights room at the gym and hubs won't go anywhere near it. On the rare occasion we go to the gym together he disappears off to do some cardio and I go and pick things up and we meet up at the end.

We tried working out together once, a mix of cardio and weights to attempt to keep us both happy - he refused to complete a last set of something because 'he didn't want to, I got mad at him and we agreed mutually that there were clearly some things we were not meant to do together! Plus its nice to have a bit of me time in the gym!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yep! Pretty much 6 days a week as long as the weather is nice :bigsmile: We'll cycle together 3 days a week, and lift 3 days a week (it's great - we push each other and act as spotters!) When the weather is not cooperative for cycling we'll do different cardio workouts (we each have videos we prefer, or I might go for a run) We can be competitive but so far it seems to only act as motivation for the other person - we're still supportive and enjoy the time spent doing something fun together :smile:
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    On my cardio days, I do the elliptical by myself. On weight days we do them together. He spots me and encourages me. He is a great weight lifting partner. When it wasn't super hot outside, we would go on walks together after work. Sometimes it helps to have someone else pushing you to keep going.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    definitely :) he's my favorite gym buddy :) I'm kinda the backbone in it though :p I'm ussually the one who says ok its time to go to the gym and then he follows along lol That and I coach him through his form because he's had less experience in lifting than I have :) But its great, we talk while we work out, encourage each other, and call each other out if we're not squating low enough, or pushing through hard enough :)
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I lift with my wife 3x a week, and it's awesome :bigsmile:

I was worried about losing my last little bit of 'me' time, but honestly, I haven't lost it at all. It's still just the iron and I (and my wife between sets).
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No, we are on totally different schedules. I work out first thing in the morning, 5am (before my brain realizes what I am doing) lol
    He has the flexibility to work out on his lunch break.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    If I had a SO, I would want to work out with him. And by that actually workout, not just weirdly watch him in the gym like some of the girls I see.

Oh so that's not just at my gym! There were 2 girls once that did that, sat on the benches or other equipment while their BF workout and it was so annoying hearing that chatter through my headphones. I politely asked them to move it at one point bc it was too busy for them to be sitting on crap people needed.