Substitutes for rice

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Actually that is exactly what is being claimed, and that is the ONLY point I am arguing. There are better options that are better for you and contain more nutrients than white rice. Plain and simple. I'm not arguing about what micronutrients you've met for the day, or what your calorie deficit is, or whether you're meeting your macros. All I am saying is there are better option that are healthier than white rice, and if you actually paid attention to what the OP was asking you'd see I was simply answering her question where as several men on this thread are just bickering and creating an argument to flex their muscles. Try actually contributing something useful to the OP's question. Do you boys really need to discourage anyone because they want a substitute for white rice, is that really something to get all huffy and puffy about?
    Then make the point without disparaging. Say "better choices are wild rice and quinoa" and state why. You DIDN'T need to say white rice is "garbage". When you do that, you're indirectly insinuating that people that eat it are "garbage eaters" and have no intelligence when it comes to food choices. Not cool.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Actually that is exactly what is being claimed, and that is the ONLY point I am arguing. There are better options that are better for you and contain more nutrients than white rice. Plain and simple. I'm not arguing about what micronutrients you've met for the day, or what your calorie deficit is, or whether you're meeting your macros. All I am saying is there are better option that are healthier than white rice, and if you actually paid attention to what the OP was asking you'd see I was simply answering her question where as several men on this thread are just bickering and creating an argument to flex their muscles. Try actually contributing something useful to the OP's question. Do you boys really need to discourage anyone because they want a substitute for white rice, is that really something to get all huffy and puffy about?
    Then make the point without disparaging. Say "better choices are wild rice and quinoa" and state why. You DIDN'T need to say white rice is "garbage". When you do that, you're indirectly insinuating that people that eat it are "garbage eaters" and have no intelligence when it comes to food choices. Not cool.

IDEA Fitness member

Most definitely an insult to both people and cultures.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Most definitely an insult to both people and cultures.

You mean like pretty much saying that the entire continent of Asia eats "garbage"? Yep. I'd call that pretty insulting, and frankly, ignorant. This quixotic quest for perfection gets pretty old.
  • wanderinggypsy
    Options
    Beverly Hills, I completely get what you're saying. Choosing quality foods is important, and the OP has been bombarded with jerks ridiculing him for wanting a substitute for white rice. Really? Isn't this site supposed to be a place people can go for advice and suggestions? Why all the hate? Maybe the OP asked because of health issues (insulin resistance, whatever) or maybe the OP just doesn't like white rice. Does it matter the reason?

That said....OP----I LOVE cauliflower rice and quinoa. You seriously couldn't go wrong with either. Best of luck in your search!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow. A LOT of people obviously woke up on the wrong side today.

Beverly Hills, I completely get what you're saying. Choosing quality foods is important, and the OP has been bombarded with jerks ridiculing him for wanting a substitute for white rice. Really? Isn't this site supposed to be a place people can go for advice and suggestions? Why all the hate? Maybe the OP asked because of health issues (insulin resistance, whatever) or maybe the OP just doesn't like white rice. Does it matter the reason? Everyone take a freakin' chill pill and just answer the dang question posed! If you can't be nice, then just shut up!

That said....OP----
    I LOVE cauliflower rice and quinoa. You seriously couldn't go wrong with either. Best of luck in your search!

OP was looking for low carb options, not really substitutes for nutritional/health reasons. It derailed to nutrition and oh, thanks for calling us all jerks :flowerforyou:
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We don't sub Califlower for rice all the time, but we do like it. we will use our Slicer Shredder attachment to grate it then you can microwave it on high for 2 -3 minutes. Works well, especially with things that already have a sauce on them.

We like it with Stroganoff, lemonade chicken, curreys, and others.

When we want more of the rice taste for our dish we often use a brown, long grain rice and add quinoa to it while cooking in the rice cooker.

And I only read the OP post so sorry if this has already been stated!
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Really I said the entire continent of Asia eats garbage? Please don't put words in my mouth. Now we are stereotyping that all of asia only eats rice? And you do realize there are many different "Asian" cultures as well. The cultures in which you are assuming have diets that are also high in vegetables and protein and very low in sugars and sweets. They also live completely different lives than most sedentary Americans who work a typical desk or computer job. Their primary mode of transportation is walking. There are big differences between our culture and theirs. To make the assumption "Asians eat a lot of rice and stay healthy so we can too". Does not work unless you are taking into account their entire diet and activity level. Asian cultures have a higher daily activity level than those here in America. Do I still think white rice is "garbage" yes I think it has been stripped of all nutrients, fortified with the vitamins that were removed, and contains no fiber. The reason its eaten in such high quantities in many Asian cultures is because of its affordability and accessibility which has in turn made the staple of rice part of their culture. Just like spam became part of Hawaii's culture, but I'm not going to tell you I think its healthy.

Here is a quick little article on taking into account the reasons Asian cultures eat rice and stay thin to the diet of Americans. As you will see many of the points I made are listed, and he lists a few others that are also fair to take note of.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/why-are-asian-rice-eaters-thin
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Really I said the entire continent of Asia eats garbage?.
    You INSINUATE that people that eat it are "garbage eaters" if you call it "garbage" which you did. Are you denying that? Don't sugar coat your statement. Either that or be much "clearer" about what you're trying to convey.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    You INSINUATE that people that eat it are "garbage eaters" if you call it "garbage" which you did. Are you denying that? Don't sugar coat your statement. Either that or be much "clearer" about what you're trying to convey.

IDEA Fitness member

I did NOT insinuate that people who eat white rice are "garbage eaters". I can say "white rice is garbage" without insinuating that everything you eat is garbage. I said the white rice itself is garbage and has no nutritional content. Stop attacking me, stop nitpicking everything I say, stop putting words into my mouth. Stick to answering the OP question and stop harrasing me about it because it's becoming extremely obnoxious by you and all the other men on this forum that get their tiny panties in a bunch whenever someone disagrees with them. Check your ego at the door.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Beverly Hills, I completely get what you're saying. Choosing quality foods is important, and the OP has been bombarded with jerks ridiculing him for wanting a substitute for white rice. Really? Isn't this site supposed to be a place people can go for advice and suggestions? Why all the hate? Maybe the OP asked because of health issues (insulin resistance, whatever) or maybe the OP just doesn't like white rice. Does it matter the reason? Everyone take a freakin' chill pill and just answer the dang question posed! If you can't be nice, then just shut up!

That said....OP----I LOVE cauliflower rice and quinoa. You seriously couldn't go wrong with either. Best of luck in your search!

right, we are jerks for pointing out that it is OK to eat carbs - unless you have some sort of medical condition - as long as you keep said carb intake within your carb/calorie goal for the day ...

Are you saying that if you eat white rice and eat in deficit that you will GAIN weight?

Some of us were also pointing out that Cauliflower has CARBS in it as does rice...so please tell me why the cauliflower carb is better than the white rice carb, and how your body distinguishes between the two?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you can't be nice, then just shut up!

Truer words have never been spoken...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I did NOT insinuate that people who eat white rice are "garbage eaters". I can say "white rice is garbage" without insinuating that everything you eat is garbage. I said the white rice itself is garbage and has no nutritional content. Stop attacking me, stop nitpicking everything I say, stop putting words into my mouth. Stick to answering the OP question and stop harrasing me about it because it's becoming extremely obnoxious by you and all the other men on this forum that get their tiny panties in a bunch whenever someone disagrees with them. Check your ego at the door.

If a significant part of someone's diet is "garbage" then are they not "garbage eaters"? Interesting.
  • ndj1979
    Options

how about "if you can't eat rice, then shut the F up!"

If you can't be nice, then don't e at rice"

oh..I can do this all day...LOL
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

right, we are jerks for pointing out that it is OK to eat carbs - unless you have some sort of medical condition - as long as you keep said carb intake within your carb/calorie goal for the day ...

Are you saying that if you eat white rice and eat in deficit that you will GAIN weight?

Some of us were also pointing out that Cauliflower has CARBS in it as does rice...so please tell me why the cauliflower carb is better than the white rice carb, and how your body distinguishes between the two?

To answer your question 1. Cauliflower has less carbs and is much lower in calories. To answer your other question your body does react differently to simple carbs as opposed to complex carbs, here is a little explanation of the process.

Simple Carbs vs Complex Carbs

High carb foods are defined as simple or complex based on their chemical structure.

The “simpler” that structure is, the faster your body will digest and absorb that food (think sugar, candy, soda, etc.).

The more “complex” that structure is, the slower the digestion and absorption process will be (think vegetables, beans, grains, etc.).

And this digestion/absorption rate is important because, the faster this process takes place within your body, the more it spikes your blood insulin levels.

For this reason, diets high in simple carbs have been shown to increase our risk of diabetes and heart disease, while diets high in complex carbs have actually been shown to help do the opposite.

Simple carbs also tend to be highly processed junk that lacks any nutritional value of any kind, while complex carbs are typically unprocessed, high in fiber, and high in various other important nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

And overall health and nutrition aside, simple carbs are also less filling, which means you’ll be hungrier sooner after eating them. Not to mention, that large spike in blood sugar will result in a crash soon after, and that crash signals hunger and food cravings.

So, as you can clearly see here for many obvious reasons:

Simple carbs should typically be greatly limited/avoided.
    Complex carbs should comprise the majority of your daily carb intake.
  • ndj1979
    Options

To answer your question 1. Cauliflower has less carbs and is much lower in calories. To answer your other question your body does react differently to simple carbs as opposed to complex carbs, here is a little explanation of the process.

High carb foods are defined as simple or complex based on their chemical structure.

The “simpler” that structure is, the faster your body will digest and absorb that food (think sugar, candy, soda, etc.).

The more “complex” that structure is, the slower the digestion and absorption process will be (think vegetables, beans, grains, etc.).

And this digestion/absorption rate is important because, the faster this process takes place within your body, the more it spikes your blood insulin levels.

For this reason, diets high in simple carbs have been shown to increase our risk of diabetes and heart disease, while diets high in complex carbs have actually been shown to help do the opposite.

Simple carbs also tend to be highly processed junk that lacks any nutritional value of any kind, while complex carbs are typically unprocessed, high in fiber, and high in various other important nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

And overall health and nutrition aside, simple carbs are also less filling, which means you’ll be hungrier sooner after eating them. Not to mention, that large spike in blood sugar will result in a crash soon after, and that crash signals hunger and food cravings.

hmmm correct if I am wrong but rice is a grain, so white rice would be a complex carb which should "comprise the majority of your daily carb intake" your words not mine...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Ironic post is ironic.

Also, in for the lolzz
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I did NOT insinuate that people who eat white rice are "garbage eaters".
    Then you don't understand the definition of the word then.
    I can say "white rice is garbage" without insinuating that everything you eat is garbage.
    A better way to convey it is "White rice is garbage TO ME." See the difference?
    I said the white rice itself is garbage and has no nutritional content.
    Which was refuted by me showing there was nutritional content. Making blanket statements that are untrue seems your moniker.
    Stop attacking me, stop nitpicking everything I say, stop putting words into my mouth. Stick to answering the OP question and stop harrasing me about it because it's becoming extremely obnoxious by you and all the other men on this forum that get their tiny panties in a bunch whenever someone disagrees with them. Check your ego at the door.
    You don't seem to like when you're corrected on a civil level. I've not attacked you. I've pointed out misinformation on your part and even stated that if you were going to "help" the OP, then you should have just stated "wild rice and quinoa" are good substitutes WITHOUT having to comment on your personal opinion on white rice. And it's not about ego. You're on a public forum giving out incorrect information on white rice. Your personal opinion DOESN'T trump actual facts.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

hmmm correct if I am wrong but rice is a grain, so white rice would be a complex carb which should "comprise the majority of your daily carb intake" your words not mine...

Ok let me correct you..White Rice has had the grain removed during the milling process. I explain the process in detail in a previous post. You know instead of just "trolling" the boards to instigate arguments and derail threads.
    You don't seem to like when you're corrected on a civil level. I've not attacked you. I've pointed out misinformation on your part and even stated that if you were going to "help" the OP, then you should have just stated "wild rice and quinoa" are good substitutes WITHOUT having to comment on your personal opinion on white rice. And it's not about ego. You're on a public forum giving out incorrect information on white rice. Your personal opinion DOESN'T trump actual facts.

Funny how you actually just said you dont nitpick all of my posts. Actually your posts are very aggressive and have nothing to do with the actual OP question. I am allowed to have an opinion without you nitpicking and then rewording everything I post. I also stated many facts throughout this entire thread including the nutritional content of white rice and comparing the content of better substitutions which unlike you actually responds to the OP. I've also posted the actual process for making white rice as well as various reasons why many Asian cultures have white rice as a staple and are able to eat it without the consequences many Americans might have from it. I don't think anything you have said has had anything to do with the OP question, its all been in response to my posts, thus attacking me personally. Just give advice to the OP and move along if you don't have anything to add. if you like white rice and have no substitutions for it, maybe this isn't the thread for you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Waiting to see the tangent...................

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Ok let me correct you..White Rice has had the grain removed during the milling process. I explain the process in detail in a previous post. You know instead of just "trolling" the boards to instigate arguments and derail threads.
    So you're saying it's a simple carb?

IDEA Fitness member