Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.

So can you present some evidence of blood markers of health significantly worsening after losing a bunch of weight but achieved it by eating "crap food"?

The health benefits of weight loss itself would likely outwiegh the food eaten in the short term. But I know thin people with health problems due to poor diet.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your opinion and stating it to the mass of people who are either going to agree or disagree with you.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.

So can you present some evidence of blood markers of health significantly worsening after losing a bunch of weight but achieved it by eating "crap food"?

Oh goodness, somehow you got off 'ignore'. Thank goodness I stumbled on this post.

I know. Seeing his abs really makes it hard for me to go back to focusing at work too!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    People wih Celiac Disease, Candida growth, diabetes and even thyroid issues benefit most from a Lower carb eating lifestyle. So maybe stop worrying about what everyone else decides to put into their mouth and worry about your own lifestyle.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Congrats on your opinion and stating it to the mass of people who are either going to agree or disagree with you.

Right? Next up: a forum on whether or not abortion is wrong! MINDS WILL BE CHANGED! I JUST KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    People wih Celiac Disease, Candida growth, diabetes and even thyroid issues benefit most from a Lower carb eating lifestyle. So maybe stop worrying about what everyone else decides to put into their mouth and worry about your own lifestyle.

Different strokes for different folks.

Celiacs is about wheat, not carbs.

Candida is about sugars, which I get are connected to carbs, but I can eat quinoa till my face explodes on the candida diet.

So I think you are mixing correlation with causation.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "clean" food? Eating clean just means eating foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. It excludes fast foods, processed foods, etc. That's all. It really is a term.

This.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

There are countless examples of obese and overweight people losing weight following the IIFYM approach (fit any foods you want into your macros and calories), who get blood tests and lipid panels when they are down to their goal weight and they have ideal cholesterol levels, immaculate blood tests, and amazing resting heart rates. It's amazing the amount of ignorance towards nutrition there is in this thread. Please go read some actual scientific papers on nutrition before you toss out statements that are categorically false...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Eating "crap" at a deficit doesn't equal poor physical healthy either.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I 99% agree. The 1% comes from the fact that I did try out paleo for about a month, and I did absolutely love it. I'm not continuing right now because it was too hard to maintain (college lifestyle) but I felt a million times better when I was eating paleo. More energetic, less bloated, etc.

I completely agree with you that eliminating certain foods has no impact on weight loss though. (And if it does, it's water/glycogen weight, not actual fat). I have no problem with people eating clean or paleo whatever if that's what makes them feel best. The problem comes when those people try to tell others that they HAVE to eat "clean" if they want to lose weight. It's simply not true, and there are hundreds of success stories here on MFP that prove it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    lately?
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Celiacs is about wheat, not carbs.

[/quote]

Celiac is about more than just wheat I'm afraid. My younger sibling has the disease and has to avoid barley, oats along with a few other foods that contain gluten. (Thank goodness for corn and rice products!)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for jonnythan to show up in this thread haha
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling people to go stuff their face with unhealthy food, no. All I'm saying is feel free to mix it up every once in a while. Eat foods that love. If you love eating these "clean" foods every single day, then go ahead. But most people I know who are dieting don't do it this way, because cravings eventually do kick in and mentally you'll start caving in, trust me. It's easy to say "Oh I've been eating clean for 7 days", that's cool, try doing it for the rest of your life.

I'm pretty sure I could survive the rest of my life without a Big Mac. I eat good food, like steak, and ribs, and fresh fruits and vegetables. I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that people should ease up and stop being so militant about things, but you can eat clean, quality food and not crave fast food or food that comes from a box, surprisingly enough, real food tastes better than the crap they shovel at you at the drive thru.

Rigger
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I 99% agree. The 1% comes from the fact that I did try out paleo for about a month, and I did absolutely love it. I'm not continuing right now because it was too hard to maintain (college lifestyle) but I felt a million times better when I was eating paleo. More energetic, less bloated, etc.

I completely agree with you that eliminating certain foods has no impact on weight loss though. (And if it does, it's water/glycogen weight, not actual fat). I have no problem with people eating clean or paleo whatever if that's what makes them feel best. The problem comes when those people try to tell others that they HAVE to eat "clean" if they want to lose weight. It's simply not true, and there are hundreds of success stories here on MFP that prove it.

And, my pretzel burger pushing aside, this is how I feel. I'm not sucking down Wendy's every day (Hell, I had a chicken salad for breakfast. I'm thinking a homemade turkey burger and salad for lunch. Black bean chili for dinner. Super dirty) and I'm all for people eating whatever they want...until they start demonizing food and tearing down other people are trying to insist that we're all full of toxins and demons and little aliens who cause negative emotion.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    I wish people would stop caring who calls what clean or unclean. Everyone has an opinion (yours is one as well) and it doesn't change anything.

this, and what is this guy doing on mfp he should be saving the world he is so much more smarter than all of us o wise one.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Whlie I agree with your fundamental (all caps) point, perhaps not everyone talking about eating clean is worried only about losing weight. I don't think of "eating clean" as a weight loss strategy as much as I think of it as a way to eat more healthfully... weight is not the only thing to consider in overall health.

All that being said, I don't necessarily "eat clean" nor eliminate all processed food from my diet...

I totally agree! I eat "mostly" healthy. I do want to lose weight, but my number 1 goal was to lower my blood pressure and come off my medications. As much as I would like to enjoy processed foods, fast foods etc more often, I can't.

I'm tired of some people thinking it is a one size fit all. It's not. There are more things to take into consideration than IIFYM.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options

this, and what is this guy doing on mfp he should be saving the world he is so much more smarter than all of us o wise one.

Made me lol. Brb putting on my cape.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Works great for me... I hate to eat healthy all the time.

Good work, op
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm not needed here.