Do not go to a Chinese Restaurant

Options

Replies

• maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food, but really only the bad for you kind...deep fat fried chicken with lots of sugar. Steamed broccoli = yuck. So I have been avoiding it.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I made homemade Asian food tonight. Kind of a mishmash of several different styles; Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. A huge plate: 615 calories, 76 grams carbs (almost entirely complex; veggies & whole grains), 11 grams fat, 56 grams protein.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have a craving for some sweet and sour chicken right now!

And an egg roll!
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    a little over 500 isn't bad at all! but if you really feel bad about it, cut down by like 75 cals per day the rest of your week or take a walk around the block a few times. i LOVEEE chinese food! i love buffets! it's nice because you can have a bite of anything you might want, and only eat the things you REALLY like and not waste calories trying to "finish" your plate.

last time i went to a buffet, probably a month or two ago, i left feeling satisfied and craving was gone! i usually save restaurants or chinese food especially for gym days! so that way, they fit into my calories! and i don't feel so guilty. haha. i plan on going to one next week, actually! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Must be the genes. I eat Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese each once a week. I just don't eat a wok full.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had Chinese food for lunch today! It wasn't a buffet, though. Buffets are tough in any type of restaurant.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Chinese food isn't necessarily fattening - no more than North American food is automatically fattening.

If your idea of Chinese food is six kinds of battered deep fried meat and seafood with some kind of sweet sauce - topped off by some greasy noodles and a fried egg roll I can guarantee you are gonna blow the diet. And if your Chinese restaurant is a buffet where you make nice fatty choices like the above noted candied meat, and you heap your plate then sure you will have issues. Stick with the steamed options, have a nice broth based soup and indulge in a wealth of veggies (steamed gai lan with oyster sauce - yummmm) Go for plain rice rather than fried. Noodles in broth rather than fried. And watch your portions and you will be fine. (And the leftovers won't do you harm either.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    we have a Chinese restaurant that will steam cook anything. So I order chicken breast steamed with broccoli or other veggies. If you have to go, this is a healthy way to make it work!!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Did you have the wontonwhore? I hear that's yummy.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I get Chinese take-out every now and then. Usually order up a big fat bowl of battered lemon chicken... just get what I really want and skip the other stuff.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Japanese = not much better. Had a greasy dinner saved only by a late night stint on the elliptical. Not making that mistake again.

what did you eat? most Japanese food is amazing - tasty, low cal, healthy....
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    The sodium, minus Msg won't leave me for about a week after and I drink water like a fish.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is yummy...no food is bad neither chinese nor japanese.I lost 118 lbs eating only indian food.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    SoVILicious, you crack me up. It's not wontonWhore (where is your mind!!) it's Wor Wonton, and in fact, I had it for lunch. Tasty broth, a bunch of bean sprouts, a couple of florets of broccoli, a few slices of carrot, a few poached prawns, some poached chicken, a little char siu (Chinese barbecue pork) and a half a dozen pork and shrimp wonton dumplings all in a big bowl. Add some chili and you have a great lunch.

Most better Chinese restaurants no longer use MSG and although sodium can be a issue, if you drink enough water its really not an problem.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    its a once a month thing for me so i dont care too much lol but i kno, its crazy, right????
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    your kidding me right............LOL...........I could kill 5K calories at one buffet..........you got off easy! :bigsmile:

I know!!! I don't go much any more but I do know that if I plan on doing chinese buffet, I don't eat all day before I go because I KNOW WHAT I'M GOING TO DO to that General Tsao! Ooooohhh and stuffed mushrooms.... and fried rangoon! Yummy!!! LOL...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Chinese restaurants are no different than any other restaurants when you are watching what you eat. Of course anything deep fried is going to blow the calorie budget for the day. Stick to the dishes that are primarily vegetables and are stir fried. Skip the noodles and go for the steamed rice, brown if they offer it. For an appetizer have the egg drop or hot and sour soup.

I can usually eat a huge plate of Chinese or Thai food and come away under 500 calories. I usually opt for seafood over other meats, as it tends to be leaner. I only take a small portion of rice, maybe half a cup, to keep the calorie counts low.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Japanese = not much better. Had a greasy dinner saved only by a late night stint on the elliptical. Not making that mistake again.

Sashimi is the way to go :)