Any short girls 5"-5.2", experience with weight loss.

Options

Replies

• ASB2683
    ASB2683 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently fluctuate right around 125. I am mainly looking to tone and just lose a few pounds of those love handles. I am finding it very frustrating that it's coming off so slowly! But I do realize that the less you have to lose, the slower it seems to come off. I revamped my diet earlier this year and lost 10 lbs between Jan and March. Gained a few pounds back when I started to let my diet slide. I am now back on track with my diet and started doing the JM 30 day shred on June 19th. While I've lost those couple pounds I had previously gained back, the real difference I am seeing is in inches on my hips, waist, and thighs. I just wish I was seeing more results in losing the "woman pooch"!
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a little less than the qualifications (clocking in at 4'10") and my starting weight was 160 here on MFP, after going solo from my highest weight of 168. Now, I'm going between 125 and 128 with a goal of around 120 and toned to the max. I've lost a ton of inches off my waist and am now rocking a pretty solid hourglass at 36-26.75-36 (starting from 38-30-40). I'm no where near done but I'm pretty darn close. I have yet to do before and afters as I'm waiting to shock myself :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and lost about 28 lbs between the end of May '12 and Feb this year. I'm back up 5 lbs, but not really worried about it since I still fit into a size 4 (the smallest size I've ever worn as an adult). I personally took it slow and started with getting back into the gym 3 times a week. Slowly my diet came in line and I added in gym days. I lost 10 lbs between May and September. In September I cleaned up the diet, started tracking a bit better and hit the gym 5-6 days/week. I started with more cardio than strength training, but I did have 2 days of Body Pump classes and some HIIT classes as well. By the end of the year I was down 24 lbs. In January I shifted my focus to strength training and did a more isometric lifting plan. I was still doing cardio (about 3 hours a week) and lost the last 4 lbs or so by mid February, but I had really hit the spot on fat loss. In mid-Feb I moved over to the Stronglifts 5x5 program to focus on strength and upped my calories to maintenance (1900-2000). I was happy with the slower loss since I enjoy eating and eating a higher calorie level supported my main focus of gaining strength. Personally, I like to focus on how I look and what I can do (lifting wise) rather than what the scale says I weigh.

Here are my progress photos. I am a little less lean now compared to February, but I think my body is happy where it is.
    776836fd-b1b6-43ee-bec5-e6772f7cd709_zpscb8dfb62.jpg

No matter how you get to your goal, make sure you enjoy getting there. This is not the first time I've had to lose weight, but I love what I do to maintain so I know it will be my last.
  • sawshuh
    sawshuh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm losing 1/2 to 1 lb/wk. On days I don't exercise and play video games all day, I aim for ~1600-1700 calories. On days I cook, run errands, and work out, I eat up to 1900 calories. I don't hate on the 1200 calorie a day people, but I personally refuse to play by those rules. I'll know when I'm done losing weight, and I won't have to adjust my calories much for maintenance.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'1 and I started at 165 and I'm now 161 this Monday will be my third week. I really am trying to lose 2lbs a week in hopes or reaching between 135-145 (not sure what I want). I do the 1200 a day and am trying to get to the gym a few times a week. Anyone around my height struggling or succeeding? I guess I might be a little to hard on my self since its only been a little over 2 weeks but it can be frustrating considering how much I've cut down and how slowly its coming off.

Any one with progress pics? Tips?

5'0" here, and my starting weight was 164 lbs in November - so we have very similar starting statistics :smile:. I'm 116 lbs right now, aiming for 105ish (loose goal).

Also, I'm still losing at 1300 calories + some exercise calories a day -- please don't feel like you have to eat so little!

I'm due for a new picture in a few days (I take these every month -- I highly recommend photos and measurements along the way!) but here's my photos from last month:

fdad89ec-8341-495b-bf5a-d4c08ebec15c_zps9da747b2.jpg
    29482a0c-03cd-493f-b887-a335e91a5061_zps5da17388.jpg
    daf243f4-2634-4283-bd2a-b0bb2f82f3de_zpse0843ed8.jpg
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    22_year.jpg

I love that you did this comparison photo. You look even better now :flowerforyou:!
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jullicious
    jullicious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the one advice i have, for everyone, is not to rely on the scale so much. I'm 5'1 at 135, my goal is 125. i work my butt off 5-6 times a week. at some point i realized that as my inches went down, my weight went up. haven't been on the scale since! take measurements all over ur body and let the scale go :)
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    5' 2" here :) I've lost 16 pounds in the last 3 - 3.5 months
    I eat about 1700 cals a day (TDEE-25%) and I lose consistently
  • candyturbo
    Options
    I am not sure why people are taking a nasty tone in response to the lady suggesting you eat more. There is a legitimate point where eating too little can stall a weight loss. I think the other lady was trying to be helpful not trying to shove ideas down anyone's throat like others here have suggested. What works for each person is very different and you do have to try different things until you find what works best for you. I am 5'1" and have lost about 70 lbs with about 40 more to go. For me, finding the right calorie and exercise target was trial and error. It seems that 1200-1400 calories is good for me for weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week if I am not severely restricting carbs. I can eat more calories (up to 1800) if they are lean proteins and if I restrict carbs and exercise at least three times per week. It can be frustrating to experiment until you find the right mix that works for you, but hang in there.

I read where someone else mentioned that 5 lbs on a short person is very different from 5 lbs on a taller person. I agree, especially if you gain it in one spot like me -- it can make the difference in clothing size. I can honestly say the most rewarding part of my weight loss so far has not been in seeing the numbers on the scale or the BMI. The single most rewarding moment was when I finally decided I needed new clothes because the others hung on me like a sack. I went to the store, chose two sizes smaller than my old clothes and went to try them on. They were too big!

Go by how you feel and whether you like what you see - whether it be in the clothes you can wear,the tone of your body or your energy or stamina.

Good luck!
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    PetiteLittleFlower Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, started at 148lbs and am currently at 122lbs struggling to get these last few off!
  • mflinn84
    mflinn84 Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi shorty!

Here are my (short person) stats and what is working for me:

Height: 5'
    Weight: 135 lbs

In two weeks, I have lost 5 lbs on MFP. MFP has me on 1360 calories per day now. My settings say that I would like to lose 1 lb a week, but I have a fast metabolism so I guess I lost more.

Here is my advice: the faster you lose weight, the faster you can put it back on. If I did 1200 calories a day AND worked out, I'm sure I would faint/have insulin spikes/binge eat and other bad stuff. Then I would probably gain.

I used to want to punish myself/my body for getting heavier than I wanted. I punished myself by not eating enough, guilt tripping over not walking enough. Now, I'm nice to my body - vitamins, gardening, healthy food, and whaddya know? The extra padding is coming off!
  • drveale
    drveale Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'1.5 and am 36 years old, with 3 kids ages 13, 10, and 4. I was at my heaviest this January at 179. I weighed in this morning at 159. I did Zumba 3 times a week in the month of January and lost 9 pounds that month, but I stopped completely and didn't focus on losing weight again until the end of May. I was stuck at 170 for months. In the beginning of June, I started Intermittent Fasting where I eat the amount of calories MFP suggests (started at 1200, now at 1365), but I would only eat in a certain eating window. For example, I eat what we call "break fast" around 12 or 1 and lunch at 3 or 4 and dinner before 8pm. Because I don't snack during the times I am fasting and I only drink water or coffee, I have consistently lost weight each week. I have more energy than I've had in years. I don't exercise much at all, but when I do I try to walk at least 2 or 3 times a week. This past week I added circuit training for 15 minutes at the Y, but I'm on the fence about how long I'll stick with it. Walking works find for me. I like how I feel and my clothes are all too big. I've lost 11 pounds in about 6 weeks. My short term goal by August is 150, but I want to eventually get down to 135 (my weight before I had kids!). Keep at it. Do what works for you. Good Luck!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 years old, 5'1 and currently I am eating 1700 + exercise cals back. I lift 4x a week and will be doing some sort of light cardio on off days (elliptical, treadmill, yoga or tai chi).

Heaviest was 245lbs. Currently fluctuating between 174 and 180, but still losing inches.

Before this month, had macros set to 40/30/30. Changed for this month to 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fats.

Similar stats here. Height is 5'1
    SW 200
    CW 174

Been at it since Jan 2013, some weeks I stay at the same weight but the overall trend is still going down so I stopped stressing. I do TDEE - 20% so I eat 2000 cals a day and practice IIFYM. I have been strength training since Feb so while the scale is moving slow I do see a BIG difference in my body shape.

Hang in there and be patient.
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    A very inspiring post for me. I am 40 - been on MFP inconsistently for a couple of years. I am just suuuuper busy. I am just a smidge over 5'2" by 1/2 inch... I started at 190+ am currently at 180 and have constant ups and downs in wt loss. My goal is to get down to 135 - that is a lot of fat to lose! I have problems with fitting in exercise. I have good practices with parking away from doors, taking stairs when I can, etc, but I don't log that stuff, and cannot seem to slow down enough to find a regular exercise practice. I see so many of you making great strides. I know I have a very long, long way to go. I was eating the 1290 since my exercise is so inconsistent - work schedule is irregular - and recently stalled out. I reconfigured using multiple calculators and figured out that I should be eating about 1600 or more... I can't do it. I end up eating sweets and crap food, then I just feel worse. I have gained 4lb in a week and still eating under 1200 on most days... I am a healthcare professional and I know better - makes me really reevaluate what we advise people. I am trying to become an example to my patients, and learn what really works for me and what doesn't. I have been consistently logging for over a month now, I know I need to work on exercise and nutrition. I do pretty well on sodium most days. Sugar is a weakness. I need to add a multivitamin. I need to exercise regularly somehow! I need to stop with the depression and stay inspired... thanks to MFP I am finding that. Great post! So many great successes. Hopefully next year about this time I can post a success story...
  • ravegee
    ravegee Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am twenty-one and under 5'0. I've been exercising every single for the past week and watching my food intake. I weighed 129 and am down four pounds. I switch up my cardio exercises daily. I work out on the elliptical for at least fourteen or fifteen minutes every other day. I walk on a treadmill every other day for at least a mile. I also work out on a stationary bike every other day, and I go walking on the track if it's pretty. I'm going to start strength training in a few weeks. Good luck on your journey. :smile:
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im 4'11,and im 35 yrs old under 5ft but I thought maybe close enough , lol...I started trying to lose at 136lbs..and then joined MFP. I now weigh 100.6 I am at goal.

MFP has my BMI at 20% and my BMR at 1066 cals a day.

Its taken me since August of last year.

workout on the treadmill just 20-60 min a day w/ incline about 2.7-3.0mph incline about 6-8

for the longest weekends were free days, and I always gained around 4-6lbs every weekend and had to lose it back through the week
    . But now Im tired of doing that. So I am at goal and what I want to do is carry the good habbits into the weekend as well, so Im
    not a yo-yo.

I noticed it was hard to get the ball rolling at first but after the first 10 lbs it really was alot easier, and the last bit was hard to lose too.,I noticed if sometimes like once a week I ate way over, that didnt seem to matter...but eating over for 2 days made a difference on the scale.
    Im wanting to tone now. and keep the weight off. Feel free to add me if you need some friends :O)
  • irism211
    irism211 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm noticing when I up my calories about 3 times a week to 1500 and the rest of the week stick to my strict 1200 I'm losing weight. I think zig zagging my calorie intake its giving my metabolism a jump start.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd month in my weight loss progress. I'm not your height (a bit taller 5 6") but I started at around 195ish (always fluctuates) and a couple weeks ago I was 188. I exercise and follow a deficit but what I've noticed what helps is to measure. You may not lose weight but you could be losing inches :) That's what I've found so don't worry about the weight so much but record your inches as well :) (I record once a month)
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!