Pregnancy-How many weeks after delivery did you lose weight

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That's weird... 3 pages into a post about weight loss after pregnancy and there are already 3 women who "could not produce enough milk" to feed their babies? That seems like a lot. Like percentage wise.

Self selected audience would be my guess about that. People who read the jerk post and could not produce milk were probably the most offended of all, thus making them more likely to post instead of lurk and increasing the percentage of 'could not produce' posters to that above the general female population.

/shug, just a theory

Edit: to add clarity

Thanks cause I expected self selected population skew if the thread title said it, but yeah I guess I can see how one really inflammatory comment can get the ire out of selected people who just happened to be in here for other reasons.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That's weird... 3 pages into a post about weight loss after pregnancy and there are already 3 women who "could not produce enough milk" to feed their babies? That seems like a lot. Like percentage wise.
    I couldn't. I tried. I pumped and pumped and took some.. thistle stuff that was supposed to help.
    It still makes me sad I couldn't ever produce enough.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds with my first and lost 32 the first week I was home. The women in my family are circus freaks. I breastfed and the rest fell off quickly too. But everybody is different. I actually had a girlfriend who left the hospital wearing her pre-pregnancy jeans and she was like a size 2. I'm not kidding. I have another friend who gained 75 pounds, had a 5-pound premie, and spent two years trying to get the weight off. Women's bodies are all different and you shouldn't feel pressured to snap back quickly. I was just lucky.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Troll.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to chastise the op for not breastfeeding. When will people realize that those that formula feed aren't necessarily doing that by choice?? And if they are, so what? Babies thrive just as well off of formula as they do with breastfeeding.

Studies on autism and formula feeding are correlative and do not show that formula feeding will cause autism in children. Some of those studies are not blind studies and lend themselves to a significant amount of experimenter bias. There was even one based on self-report from an internet survey. Very reliable.

Breast may be best, but it does not give you the right to shame women who don't breastfeed.

To the Op, I similarly lost about 25 pounds two weeks after I gave birth 2/14 of this year and then I was at a stand still. The weight is coming off slowly but surely but I know that eventually, I'll be back to my pre-pregnancy weight and then some.

Yeah but let's not rubberband all the way back to the OPPOSITE stance. I'm sorry but I just don't agree with the former statement I bolded or I would not have made the sacrifices I did to nurse my children. Plus it completely contradicts your next statement that I bolded.

Maybe we should go back to the original topic since maybe people popping in here will likely be more knowledgeable about that and less likely to grasp for any old facts to beat the heck out of they guy who conveniently left the scene.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I had my son 3 weeks ago and have already lost the 25 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.

I am now dropping additional pounds and can't tell if it is still pregnancy weight coming off, or if it is my low calories that I've been consuming.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for weight loss either way!, but I was just wondering when everyone else stopped losing pregnancy weight???

I'm sure it is a combination of both and different for everyone, but I just want to know after how many weeks my body will stop losing pregnancy weight and start losing fat?

Edit: I am not breastfeeding, only formula.

I'll get the studies linking early autism and formula in non breastfed children...brb.

Breast milk is the most important nutrient dense food the baby can eat for the first 16-18 months of its life.
    3 weeks and on formula?!
    also the hormonal cascade you get from it ensures your health and longevity.
    Genetically we are here to procreate the human race so youve popped a kid out but you sholdnt stop at that.

I'll get the studies for you and post but i'm staying out of this conversation.
    Selfish moms piss me off.

You have NO right to judge her.........none what so ever. I breastfed my kids and it was my choice to make like it is her choice to make not too.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Edited to add:

OP, I'm sorry that that a$$hat joined in your thread. Post-partum is SUCH an emotional time anyway - the last thing you need is someone being a jerk!

I'm not sure if my experience is anything to go by, since I did nurse both my kids and so my recovery was a bit different. But I will tell you that you should take it easy on yourself. How quickly you lose your weight is dependent on so many variables - how much you gained, how sleep-deprived you are (makes it so much harder, and OF COURSE you are sleep-deprived!), whether you had a c-section or not, etc. etc. I wouldn't even think about it for quite a while yet. Just focus on healing from delivery, taking care of your baby, and nourishing yourself with good food. The weight-loss will come in time. :)

I really enjoyed reading your insight and couldn't agree more.
  • Mlkmaid
    Options
    I'll get the studies linking early autism and formula in non breastfed children...brb.

Breast milk is the most important nutrient dense food the baby can eat for the first 16-18 months of its life.
    3 weeks and on formula?!
    Genetically we are here to procreate the human race so youve popped a kid out but you sholdnt stop at that.

Oh HELL NO!

I'm saying this as a mom who breastfed two kids: 14 months and 19 months.

To come in here with autism fear mongering and then call someone selfish without any of the facts? Shame on you! What if she's a breast cancer survivor or had a breast reduction and can't BF? What if she had supply issues and can't BF? What if she works full time and is unable to pump? What if she just doesn't want to? It is HER choice.

No mother who carries a child inside her body with all the discomfort, pain and inconveniences that go with it, who go through whatever form of childbirth it takes to get that child out, and who then spend day and night putting its needs above their own can be called selfish.

And no one should EVER berate a new mom who is going through pain, exhaustion and hormonal extremes by knocking their mothering. Again, shame on you.

OK, I know a little about this subject as I have an autistic child, a very hard of hearing child, and I breastfed both my sons for over a year. The eldest I breastfed for 15 months. The second son for a little over a year. The eldest had skin issues, stomach issues, ear infections, etc., etc. -- everything breastfed babies are NOT supposed to get. He was diagnosed with autism and multiple learning disabilities at about 3. The youngest was rarely sick, never had ear infections but wound up damn near deaf. Did my CONSTANT breastfeeding give me healthy, perfect children? No. BREASTFEEDING IS NOT A PANACEA!!!! And no mother should be pressured to breast feed their child.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just as my son turned 1 got back to my prepregnancy weight that I was before I had him, I gained over 50lbs & I still have 50 more lbs to get to, to be at my very 1st prepregnancy weight from 5 years ago. I'm hoping to be there & below by next summer. I wasn't really ever trying to lose weight till now, so since having him 1 year ago, I'm down 53lbs. :)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Troll.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to chastise the op for not breastfeeding. When will people realize that those that formula feed aren't necessarily doing that by choice?? And if they are, so what? Babies thrive just as well off of formula as they do with breastfeeding.

Studies on autism and formula feeding are correlative and do not show that formula feeding will cause autism in children. Some of those studies are not blind studies and lend themselves to a significant amount of experimenter bias. There was even one based on self-report from an internet survey. Very reliable.

Breast may be best, but it does not give you the right to shame women who don't breastfeed.

To the Op, I similarly lost about 25 pounds two weeks after I gave birth 2/14 of this year and then I was at a stand still. The weight is coming off slowly but surely but I know that eventually, I'll be back to my pre-pregnancy weight and then some.

Yeah but let's not rubberband all the way back to the OPPOSITE stance. I'm sorry but I just don't agree with the former statement I bolded or I would not have made the sacrifices I did to nurse my children. Plus it completely contradicts your next statement that I bolded.

Maybe we should go back to the original topic since maybe people popping in here will likely be more knowledgeable about that and less likely to grasp for any old facts to beat the heck out of they guy who conveniently left the scene.

How am I contradicting myself?? I said that formula feeding does not cause autism. I never said that formula feeding is superior to breast feeding.

You are entitled to your opinion. However, show me a peer-reviewed study where formula-fed babies do not thrive.
  • Mlkmaid
    Options
    "I'll get the studies for you and post but i'm staying out of this conversation.
    Selfish moms piss me off."

You should have stopped talking after the word "conversation". LOL. Women are not selfish because they choose not to breastfeed. Some women have to work and are unable to pump. I nursed both of my sons for over a year but I could never pump - too painful. They also wouldn't take artificial nipples anyway so there was no point. No bottles, no pacifiers. ME - exclusively. They went from ME to holding cups! Further, there are many, many women who simply cannot breastfeed for medical reasons. Women who have to take various medications, for example, cannot breastfeed because their milk is essentially polluted with chemicals from their meds and consequently unsafe for their baby. Some women don't produce enough milk because of hormonal issues. Yes, there are some who just think it's gross or don't want to be tied down ....... and while it is not the path I chose, all women have to make this very personal choice for themselves. I'm a little confused why a man would think he actually knows enough about the subject to opine on the topic.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    Congrats on your baby! I've had 4 babies in my lifetime, my last at 38! Adopted another at 50! I breastfed all mine for a long time & lost all my weight by the 6 mo. checkup. I only weight 110 when I was in my 20's so I gained 40lbs w/ea baby. But I would walk & excercise & it fell off. My last baby I was almost 40, & gained 60lbs. It took longer, but I did it. Since hitting menapause I've gained 5 lbs. every year for the last 5 yrs, I'm working to get it off now w/excercise & low carb dieting. Good luck w/your sweet baby.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    I saw where there was posts of breastfeeding or formula. Whatever you choose, just be happy w/it. No one has the right to make you feel less than. Love you.
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    I had my son 3 weeks ago and have already lost the 25 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.

I am now dropping additional pounds and can't tell if it is still pregnancy weight coming off, or if it is my low calories that I've been consuming.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for weight loss either way!, but I was just wondering when everyone else stopped losing pregnancy weight???

I'm sure it is a combination of both and different for everyone, but I just want to know after how many weeks my body will stop losing pregnancy weight and start losing fat?

3 weeks and on formula?!

People who comment without knowing all the facts piss me off. You have no idea why she chose to use formula over breast milk, and there could be any number of reasons to do so, which do NOT include selfishness.

Hey guess what? I formula fed both of my kids...both of them are healthy and strong. Personally its not being selfish, its determining what is right for you. The thought of my kid sucking on my boob totally grosses me out. Some moms need to open their eyes.

I don't agree with judging based on if the mother has health issues which don't allow her to breastfeed, if she HAS to go to work because her kids would not be able to live without her going to work and the pumps don't work for her ( they don't for me) . BUT, and I don't care who you are, if the ONLY reason you are denying your child the best food it can have is because "The thought of my kid sucking on my boob totally grosses me out" THAT is a selfish reason. If you are too immature to realize that this is what boobs are for, technically the only reason why you actually have them, please don't have anymore children. Forumula fed babies can survive and do just fine, but yes, if you have no medical or other REAL reason why you are UNABLE to feed your child formula, try to do whats best for them. I breastfed my son for only 4 months because I had a serious health issue and had to stop because of the medication I needed, and I am currently still exclusively breastfeeding my 6 month old daughter. YES its hard and takes dedication and preserverance, but that is what moms are for. GAWD! /end rant
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    37w check up I was 216
    date of delivery I was 212
    I think 2w pp I was down to 196
    by my 6w check up (actually closer to 5w) I was back up to 204

**** note I was 210 when I got pregnant so I didn't gain much weight
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    Oh yea and to answer the actual question

Pre-pregnancy #1 133lbs
    End of Pregnancy #1 40w3days gestation 172 lbs
    14 months post partum Goal weight of 110 lbs

Pre-pregnancy #2 118lbs
    End of pregnancy #2 161 lbs
    Immediately after birth #2 143lbs
    Currently 6 months post partum 127lbs
    Goal weight WILL be 115 lbs
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Dan really derailed and hijacked the whole purpose of this thread. Just remember that was started by a childless man. Don't let him polarize us mothers.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

People who comment without knowing all the facts piss me off. You have no idea why she chose to use formula over breast milk, and there could be any number of reasons to do so, which do NOT include selfishness.

Hey guess what? I formula fed both of my kids...both of them are healthy and strong. Personally its not being selfish, its determining what is right for you. The thought of my kid sucking on my boob totally grosses me out. Some moms need to open their eyes.

I don't agree with judging based on if the mother has health issues which don't allow her to breastfeed, if she HAS to go to work because her kids would not be able to live without her going to work and the pumps don't work for her ( they don't for me) . BUT, and I don't care who you are, if the ONLY reason you are denying your child the best food it can have is because "The thought of my kid sucking on my boob totally grosses me out" THAT is a selfish reason. If you are too immature to realize that this is what boobs are for, technically the only reason why you actually have them, please don't have anymore children. Forumula fed babies can survive and do just fine, but yes, if you have no medical or other REAL reason why you are UNABLE to feed your child formula, try to do whats best for them. I breastfed my son for only 4 months because I had a serious health issue and had to stop because of the medication I needed, and I am currently still exclusively breastfeeding my 6 month old daughter. YES its hard and takes dedication and preserverance, but that is what moms are for. GAWD! /end rant

Please do not try to force your lifestyle views on others by decrying the choices of others by calling them names and judging their REAL reasons, not good enough, regardless of motivation behind those reasons. It's their choice. You are not morally superior due to your personal choices/beliefs and they are not morally inferior due to theirs.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

You know what's worse than the post made by a man...
    Stuff like what you just posted.

Seriously. Why can't women just be kind to another. It doesn't matter what a womans reason for not breastfeeding is, another mother has no right whatsoever to judge that.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    You know what's worse than the post made by a man...
    Stuff like what you just posted.

Seriously. Why can't women just be kind to another. It doesn't matter what a womans reason for not breastfeeding is, another mother has no right whatsoever to judge that.

Agreed.

http://ctworkingmoms.com/2013/06/11/end-the-mommy-wars-special-photo-edition/