Clean/Dirty...missing the point

Options

Replies

• lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    Seriously? Get cancer and see the list of foods and food additives you're supposed to avoid. Somehow, I think food corporations just laugh at people like us, fighting over the ignorance of toxins in our food supply. Want to stay ignorant, fine but you're eyes will be opened to our toxins after you get cancer. 80% of cancers are linked to environmental toxins.

I don't care what someone else eats, but I do believe we have a right to go into our grocery and know what's in the processed junk. Gmos, potassium bromate, and other nasties.

[quotant to start by saying that I hate the terms "Clean" and "Dirty" when it comes to food.

Oh, the arguement about what works best for weight loss. I feel a lot of people on here are reeeeeally missing the boat with the whole "clean vs. dirty" discussion. Is eating clean going to help you lose more weight, lose it faster, and have the flatter stomach? IDK.....probably not. Whether you have a sustained diet of corndogs and potato chips or one of organic blackberries and raw kale salads with no dressing, if you are eating less calories than your body exausts, you will lose weight. Calories in, calories out....it's science.

That being said, I eat more whole foods than I do pasta and pizza. Why? First off...I can eat way more of it, and I love food. More importantly, I DO believe that heavily processed and preservative laden foods can have long term negative effects on your body and increase odds of health risks. Aren't there more important things than just weight loss to consider when discussing a diet? Why are you trying to lose weight or be fit? To live longer?....To avoid chronic or terminal disease as you age?....Just to feel better during the day?

Hmmm........
    So you understand the science of calories in versus calories out.

Yet, you state your belief that "processed and preservative laden foods" have some type of long term negative effect on the body and increase the odds of other health risks? Where is your science to back that statement up?
    [/quote]
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Get cancer and see the list of foods and food additives you're supposed to avoid. Somehow, I think food corporations just laugh at people like us, fighting over the ignorance of toxins in our food supply. Want to stay ignorant, fine but you're eyes will be opened to our toxins after you get cancer. 80% of cancers are linked to environmental toxins.

I don't care what someone else eats, but I do believe we have a right to go into our grocery and know what's in the processed junk. Gmos, potassium bromate, and other nasties.

oh geez.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    CLEAN eating vs. DIRTY eating for dummies:

CLEAN: 5 second rule when the food falls on the floor

DIRTY: You fail to retrieve the food off the floor within the allotted 5 seconds
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I don't want to remain ignorant. Please provide me with any evidence that 80% of cancers are linked to environmental toxins.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options

DIRTY: You fail to retrieve the food off the floor within the allotted 5 seconds
    cm-39268-050cb463153f8a.jpeg
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Made my day ha!
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    Ppl need to stop trying to convert other ppl as if they've been privy to certain information since they were born. Sometimes ppl just need to learn through trial and error. The OP was right about a lot of things he wrote, only issue I have is man sometimes ppl just need to learn on their own. If ppl have different definitions of 'clean' eating let them have that. If ppl believe they lost weight because they started eating clean and refuse to acknowledge or understand weight loss is about cals in and cals out let them have that. We all have to learn through trial and error. Not many ppl here have been fitness and nutrition gurus for most of their life.

Be patient with those who don't know or understand. Send them a PM with some good advice if you have knowledge that they don't have.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Ppl need to stop trying to convert other ppl as if they've been privy to certain information since they were born. Sometimes ppl just need to learn through trial and error. The OP was right about a lot of things he wrote, only issue I have is man sometimes ppl just need to learn on their own. If ppl have different definitions of 'clean' eating let them have that. If ppl believe they lost weight because they started eating clean and refuse to acknowledge or understand weight loss is about cals in and cals out let them have that. We all have to learn through trial and error. Not many ppl here have been fitness and nutrition gurus for most of their life.

Be patient with those who don't know or understand. Send them a PM with some good advice if you have knowledge that they don't have.

Sending a PM is nice and all, but it is beneficial to spread that knowledge in the main forums to clarify wrong information.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    another one of these threads? whatever happened to discussing "Food and Nutrition". Rather than venting about how other people talk give your side with evidence and let people do what they want. I eat whatever fits and make healthy choices, but some others eat strictly clean. If they want to let them, it's their body and their point of view. Let it be. I wish these I hate paleo, why clean eating is bs, etc threads would stop and people actually gave constructive criticism which is what this site is for.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Thanks for the post. I certainly wouldnt call myself a guru, but I have learned a lot. I recently got into fitness and health about 2 years ago and have tried to educate myself as much as posible. Through trial and error as you said :) I do try and take it seriously and am always looking to learn something new. Unfortunately, not everyone else feels the same way.
  • raydolph
    raydolph Posts: 43
    Options

Winner! /thread!
  • renwicker
    Options
    another one of these threads? whatever happened to discussing "Food and Nutrition". Rather than venting about how other people talk give your side with evidence and let people do what they want. I eat whatever fits and make healthy choices, but some others eat strictly clean. If they want to let them, it's their body and their point of view. Let it be. I wish these I hate paleo, why clean eating is bs, etc threads would stop and people actually gave constructive criticism which is what this site is for.

Not sure if this is directed to my original post or not. If it is, I'm sorry to have sparked yet another Clean eating debate. Not my intentions. I was merely trying to state that I think sometimes people get caught up on weight loss and strict diets...and only eating a certain way. Certainly find what works best for you. I wasnt slamming clean eating or paleo or whatever. Most of them have great things to offer. Thats one of the reasons they are so popular. My post was supossed to start a convo on food and nutrition. Instead its a pissing match of whos smarter.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    f26.jpg
    Yep.
  • wideeyedla
    Options

Also this.
  • wideeyedla
    Options

Totally agree with everything EXCEPT calories in/calories out, with the stipulation that it is true for healthy people with no underlying issues like Metabolic X, insulin resistance, or AI and neurological disorders. The research that I have read while trying to get myself somewhat back to normal has been pretty clear, and refined carbs make it really hard for me to lose weight. My macros are crazy ;) My diary is public if anyone wants to look. Specifically, I am trying to get fibromyalgia (diagnosis of the month) under control. Since the AI protocol is the same, if it turns out to be MS or Lupus, I am still covered.

Again, I don't preach that my way is the be all and end all, but for others with my particular health issues, I would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

By the way, I don't do it perfectly, I do allow myself a day off a week (though I sometimes pay for it), and I am FEELING better, which is actually more the point than losing weight
  • renwicker
    Options

Totally agree with everything EXCEPT calories in/calories out, with the stipulation that it is true for healthy people with no underlying issues like Metabolic X, insulin resistance, or AI and neurological disorders. The research that I have read while trying to get myself somewhat back to normal has been pretty clear, and refined carbs make it really hard for me to lose weight. My macros are crazy ;) My diary is public if anyone wants to look. Specifically, I am trying to get fibromyalgia (diagnosis of the month) under control. Since the AI protocol is the same, if it turns out to be MS or Lupus, I am still covered.

Again, I don't preach that my way is the be all and end all, but for others with my particular health issues, I would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

By the way, I don't do it perfectly, I do allow myself a day off a week (though I sometimes pay for it), and I am FEELING better, which is actually more the point than losing weight

Aside from eating well, I have no advice. I've read and watched documentaries of some really severe ailments being healed by being on really vitamin rich diets. Like REEEALLY rich. Maybe look into Medical Nutrition Therapy. Its quite fascinating. (sure beats being on medication forever) Other than that, I am completely ignorant on situations like this, so I'm not going to pretend like I know. I wish you all the luck with it tho!
  • wideeyedla
    Options
    People have to find what works best for them. Truthfully I rarely eat clean... on a high fat/very low carb diet.

My macros are 50% fat, 25-30% protein, and the rest unrefined carbs from veggies and limited fruits
    I'm doing Paleo (which is one definition of clean) to sort out some health issues. So high fat/low carb has nothing to do with whether you are "clean" or not, unless you are living on Atkins products, in which case a Primal/Paleo person would say, "No can do for me, too much soy and sucralose." But they wouldn't call you dirty :wink:

And it doesn't really matter if you are clean or not. This is the only site where I have seen the word "dirty" used. I've never seen someone on another site say "Oh, that food is dirty." I've also never seen anyone claim to be 100% perfect. I'm having ice cream tonight, dammit. I'm going to justify it by calling it ketogenic cycling :laugh:
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For me clean eating is about being healthy from the inside out. Putting only the best of things into my body and the way my skin appears when I eat clean vs processed foods. Also the way my body works and functions when I eat clean not about the weight loss. You are right I think people miss the point

Exactly!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Well technically as far as weight loss (and not some other argument like a healthier diet for a lifetime) don't you think whatever the individual is able to stick to and finds easiest, works best for them?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    f26.jpg

Thought I'd find you on here posting that same ol' South Park pic. Way to keep it fresh.

clever.gif