"The Time to Make Fun of the Fat Girl...

Options
1235»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have heard horror stories of bigger people being taunted while running in public, and I admit it makes me self-conscious, since I just started running myself. But when I see bigger people working out and really putting effort into it, I'm always excited and happy for them.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    ...is not at the gym."

I wonder if some people don't start working out because they are embarrassed, that they are afraid of what people think of them when they are at a gym surrounded by people that have been there for years.

I want to say that in my experience, everyone at the gym is supportive and glad you are there. They may think, "that person has a long way to go." True, those thoughts happen, but that observation is quickly overtaken a thousand-fold by thoughts like, "I am happy they are here. I don't want to seem rude by saying on day 30 that I have noticed they are here nearly every day, and good job." Instead, I just think to myself that, "if they ever need help and I am asked, I will help. If they ever need support, I will be not just be supportive, but a fan."

Fitness is such a universally difficult thing that, I think, the one place you are free from mean critiques is in the gym, or walking/running outside. Everyone is pulling for you in these places. Everyone.

brilliant very proud of you!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I took a huge step today. Instead of being a coward and not attempting squats because I had only done them once (with a trainer who was awesome enough to show me around this new gym), I asked a couple muscly guys who were lifting some heavy dumbbells if they could check my form to make sure I was doing things right. They were so encouraging and nice, and a couple more even joined in our conversations. One even told me I'm a natural, haha. I told them I was pretty intimidated and felt awkward at first, but that they were awesome and thanked them for making me feel so comfortable :) I tend to have a lot of social anxiety, but I'm glad that I'm finally able to push it aside on occasion and that today was one of those occasions!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    ...is not at the gym."

I wonder if some people don't start working out because they are embarrassed, that they are afraid of what people think of them when they are at a gym surrounded by people that have been there for years.

I want to say that in my experience, everyone at the gym is supportive and glad you are there. They may think, "that person has a long way to go." True, those thoughts happen, but that observation is quickly overtaken a thousand-fold by thoughts like, "I am happy they are here. I don't want to seem rude by saying on day 30 that I have noticed they are here nearly every day, and good job." Instead, I just think to myself that, "if they ever need help and I am asked, I will help. If they ever need support, I will be not just be supportive, but a fan."

Fitness is such a universally difficult thing that, I think, the one place you are free from mean critiques is in the gym, or walking/running outside. Everyone is pulling for you in these places. Everyone.

Couldn't have said it better my man!!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Why do people think that if you are harsh once you are always a grey unpolished stone? Stones can be good.

Consider the stone

tumblr_lpd636LXoL1qcr6iqo1_500.jpg

Think of King Arthur. Rocks built camelot as surely as aspiration, hard work, and a poet's turn of phrase. Without the stone there is no sword. Without love there are no loyal followers willing to pile those rocks high for a better kingdom. Without poets there is no dream of a round table. I appreciate all the comments here.

Lying, robed in snowy white
    That loosely flew to left and right
    The leaves upon her falling light
    Thro' the noises of the night
    She floated down to Camelot:
    And as the boat-head wound along
    The willowy hills and fields among,
    They heard her singing her last song,
    The Lady of Shalott.

I think I'd have gone for a pyramid on the rock analogy - unlike Camelot, they're real *grin*.

But on the point of the thread, its title says that the time not to make fun of a fat girl is when she's engaged in a public show of 'hard work' to change her ways. That implies, to me at least, two things:

1. That it's fine to poke fun at a fat girl if she's not currently engaged in some public display of physical activity.
    and
    2. That physical activity alone = hard work, which I find a bit odd when the thing most responsible for getting weight off is diet, not exercise. The fat girl who isn't at the gym but who is rigidly sticking to a calorie deficit is also working hard, it's just not as visible to the critical masses.

That said, you turn a good phrase
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    The helpful ones are few and far between at my gym. I've found myself being rude, at least in thoughts anyway, because some cloths are just inappropriate for public, for any weight size. Looking forward to winter when they start wearing clothes again and the strip show stays at the gentleman's club instead of the gym.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lol tomato, not tornado. ;) Although, I'm sure my hair looks like it after a workout as well.
    Oops. :)

There are worse thing to be than a walking tomato. Tomatoes are bright and summer and the color of blush, and the envy of potatoes everywhere.

You could be a potato. Now that is sad.

*snort*
  • briannaaclark1
    Options
    Reading the majority of this has really restored my faith in that people are genuinely good. I always felt self conscious at the gym (I just use my stuff at home now) and I wasn't even ever that big to begin with. But I was very out of shape and I have asthma so I was extremely self conscious of having to get off the treadmill or track after 15 minutes because I couldn't breathe anymore.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This is my experience, even at a really big chain. I always felt supported while working out, and I am obese. I will say though I have seen more than one situation where some people are so self conscious that someone glancing at them while working out is suddenly perceived as a glare, or people talking and laughing while working out is about them. It is sad to see.
  • MoRaeNew
    MoRaeNew Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fail!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Here, Here!!! Love this as I was one who was afraid to go and then when I did no one even looked at me. SOOOO great!!!