Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Here is another one of my mom, she's about a pound away from her goal.

rqyttw.jpg

This is close to 95 lbs gone.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mama2seth - tell your mom she's got some rockin' legs! Yowsa! Congrats to her.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fire34116
    fire34116 Posts: 16
    Options
    I need to save this link so I can read about all of the amazing inspirational stories :flowerforyou:
  • karaharrison2012
    karaharrison2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can do it....I am 40 had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. At the time of my surgery I was 180lbs, after 6 months I had quickly put on 7 more pounds. The weight was coming on fast and I had read everywhere that weight was so hard to lose after menopause and after 40. I started MFP in June 2012 at my highest weight ever at 187 its April 2013 I have lost 50lbs so far and still losing. I never thought I could do it. If I can do it ANYONE can. I am happier now than I was when I was 20 years old weighing 120. Don't let people fool you....Losing weight IS possible after menopause. It takes work and determination, but if you really want it, nothing will stop you. I have a desk job and do very little physical activity just 1200 calories a day (which was very hard at first, but trust me you will get used to it) now I find it hard to eat over 1500. I never deprive myself just portion control.
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamabear204
    mamabear204 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    These stories are inspiring! I'll be 41 in 4 days and have struggled with my weight since graduating high school that I can remember but I don't remember ever really trying to do much about. Now I'm committed....it's time to do something! I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago after being blessed with my now 7 year old daughter. I'm not sure if people would say that I look my age or not but me personally, I feel like I'm 70! I don't want to look 20 but I just want to be and feel healthier than I do now and, of course, be able to keep up with my daughter and, of course, I want her to be proud of her mom and certainly do not want her to deal with the weight struggles, low self esteem, depressions, etc. that I have dealt with over the years.
    Edit to add: I'm about 5'2" and 187ish pounds....I know I was 199 going into labor and the day just a couple months ago that I got close to that number again was what told me it's time
  • simplyjustme
    simplyjustme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and healthier than ever! Do not throw in the towel it's not always about the number factor it also about the health factor and where you at mentally. Stay on the right track and you will get there. Keeping a healthy inside first helps form the outside. Keep yourself educated on what you are doing helps as well. I love telling people I am a grandma. That "You are a grandma" look is wonderful! Keep moving forward and don't give up.
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LisasLastTen
    LisasLastTen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound odd, but maybe I'm lucky. I gained weight when I was in my early 20s and didn't lose it again until I was 40.

So right now, at 44, I may have the best body of my life :-)

I would like to echo what an earlier poster said about weight training. Women can't be afraid of lifting weights. It will help maintain overall body tone and help keep the weight off, long term.

Love yourself at any age!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Well, it is encouraging to see the 100+ pound weight loss stories, or the 50, 40 or you fill in the number.

Your 20+ pound is just as encouraging. I am 58 and NOT giving up even though it is tough and harder than what it appears to others to do the same 35 or so pounds I've lost. Its a least better than NOT having started this journey.

You are 13 years younger than me....do not compare yourself or your journey to others and do not give up on yourself!!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I posted much earlier in this thread to keep track, and now I would like to share my success to date. I'm still a work in progress but plan to be at my goal by the end of the year.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SkimFlatWhite68/view/progress-pics-23kg-down-553291

I have (so far) lost about 24kg and 25cm from my waist - photos are in the link to my blog above. I'll be 45 next week and I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance (although I have a feeling I've kicked them to the kerb).

I've been weight training all year, with limited cardio - walking and bit of HIIT every week. Cut about 600 calories from my TDEE every day and bought a FitBit One.

EVERYONE CAN DO THIS! If I can - you can!!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I also posted on this thread earlier...........I'm 61..........5' 3"...........started Jan. 11, 2013 at 147.5............as of July 16----that's just a little over 6 months and I'm at goal.......120lbs................actually at 119.5--even better!!!

28 lbs. ...........not the largest loss, or the fastest..........but I got there with a way of eating and some exercise I can actually live with.
    Stick with it ladies...........you CAN do it!!!

Pedometer and food scale are the essentials. I did not eat back exercise cals.........wasn't doing anything super tough. You should strength train though, not just burn---even planks; start on forearms then work up to hands, wall push aways....gradually lowering--maybe to a braced chair, then the tub.......you'll be doing real push ups eventually!!! Lots of stuff on youtube---modify to fit your current level of ability.

I stuck to 1200 cals---sometimes 1400, occ. only 1000; had a mug of hot chocolate made with Hershey's baking cocoa EVERY day (skim milk and 1 teasp. sugar)---this keeps me sane as far as the chocolate cravings.

Best of luck!!!
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am 66 years old and refuse to stop trying to get my weight to my desired goal. Little by little, step <literally>by step. It might take a little longer when we are older but being determined has to help. Bless us all ! At least we're trying.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an inspiration you are! Thanks :smile:
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and almost as strong as I've been at any age in my life. It's really just a number ladies, you can do whatever you set your mind to.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 51...
    At 45 my fitness was awfull, and my weight was 10 kg more than it is now.
    I started running, and kept an eye on my food intake.

At this moment, my weight is then same as when I was 16... (From 18 till 45 it was always more...)

For me, postmenopausal it seemed easier to keep off the kilo's....
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and postmenopausal. I've also lost almost half the excess weight I've carried around for years, and am literally stronger than I've ever been after a year of working out. With the amount of exercise I get now I do think I could have lost much more in this amount of time if I had worked this hard when I was younger, but I'm just happy to have made the lifestyle changes I really needed to make! Earlier today I posted before and after pics from my year on MFP. We can do this at any age if we are willing to work for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052548-one-year-on-mfp-and-77-pounds-down-with-pictures
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!