Glee's Cory Monteith, found dead in an Hotel Room

Options

Replies

• koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

now that is REALLY rude.

Yes he lacked the talent, yet he inspired many kids who could identify with him (being awkward and untalented, it gives awkward untalented kids hope), plus I am sure you wouldn't do it any better and throwin **** at somebody isn't really nice.

actually this ^ :flowerforyou:
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    As a human being, I'm sorry he's dead, but honestly? He'd been using drugs and drinking heavily since his teens, he was in rehab recently - it's very easy to see that happening.

Also, in re: his talent - what talent? He read as very stiff, unnatural, awkward, on screen; his singing was subpar; his dancing was awful - not in a "my character can't dance, so this is intentional" kind of way, but in a "genuinely can't dance, has no rythm or coordination" kind of way.

I say this, not to degrade the dead, but because death does not make you perfect. It makes you dead. We should stop glamorizing the dead and glossing over their faults because of some primal fear of angry spirits or divine retribution.

My apologies if I've hijacked your post.

my thoughts exactly.

I agree, however it's still sad.

I never said that it wasn't. The loss of any life is tragic and terrible, but my issue is with the unyielding, fanatical defence of his many virtues and unending skill when he really didn't have any and, honestly, the only change is his death.

I didn't intend to be rude, I didn't intend to make light of this situation, and I most certainly didn't intend to be a ****. I simply intended to speak my mind.

I was agreeing with you + him passing was sad.
    I wasn't implying you we're rude or that you were making light of the situation and I don't know you well enough to think you're a ****.
    Sorry.:flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    I never said that it wasn't. The loss of any life is tragic and terrible, but my issue is with the unyielding, fanatical defence of his many virtues and unending skill when he really didn't have any and, honestly, the only change is his death.

I didn't intend to be rude, I didn't intend to make light of this situation, and I most certainly didn't intend to be a ****. I simply intended to speak my mind.
    now that is REALLY rude.

Yes he lacked the talent, yet he inspired many kids who could identify with him (being awkward and untalented, it gives awkward untalented kids hope), plus I am sure you wouldn't do it any better and throwin **** at somebody isn't really nice.

^^^ this.

Again, I didn't intend to throw **** at him. He's dead, it's a tragedy. I don't know; I wouldn't have been cast as Finn because I'm female. I have, however, been dancing since I was two, singing since I was five, and acting since I was eleven. I've had serious, hardcore training in all three, and while I haven't had the opportunity to perform on an internationally syndicated show like Glee, I'd like to believe I could hold my own.

He was a role model to many, and while I respect him for that, I find it appalling that death has made him a hero and a figurehead. He died, not because he was depressed or addicted or attacked, but because he used and abused alcohol and drugs as a coping method. This is not healthy behaviour and it's not something that should be treated as a stepping stone for his aborted carreer.

He's dead. That doesn't make him perfect. It makes him dead.

Is it rude to acknowledge that fact? No. It's simply accepting the truth. I'm sorry if that offends anyone's delicate sensibilities, but I don't like lying - and that's what it is. Making someone out to be better or more than they were in life because you feel guilt or regret or sorrow or shame at their death is lying, and I won't stand for it.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    As a human being, I'm sorry he's dead, but honestly? He'd been using drugs and drinking heavily since his teens, he was in rehab recently - it's very easy to see that happening.

Also, in re: his talent - what talent? He read as very stiff, unnatural, awkward, on screen; his singing was subpar; his dancing was awful - not in a "my character can't dance, so this is intentional" kind of way, but in a "genuinely can't dance, has no rythm or coordination" kind of way.

I say this, not to degrade the dead, but because death does not make you perfect. It makes you dead. We should stop glamorizing the dead and glossing over their faults because of some primal fear of angry spirits or divine retribution.

my thoughts exactly.

I agree, however it's still sad.

I was agreeing with you + him passing was sad.
    I wasn't implying you we're rude or that you were making light of the situation and I don't know you well enough to think you're a ****.
    Sorry.:flowerforyou:

I know; that was aimed at other comments. I simply didn't want to take up any more space on this thread. *hugs*
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

now that is REALLY rude.

^^^ this.

Again, I didn't intend to throw **** at him. He's dead, it's a tragedy. I don't know; I wouldn't have been cast as Finn because I'm female. I have, however, been dancing since I was two, singing since I was five, and acting since I was eleven. I've had serious, hardcore training in all three, and while I haven't had the opportunity to perform on an internationally syndicated show like Glee, I'd like to believe I could hold my own.

He was a role model to many, and while I respect him for that, I find it appalling that death has made him a hero and a figurehead. He died, not because he was depressed or addicted or attacked, but because he used and abused alcohol and drugs as a coping method. This is not healthy behaviour and it's not something that should be treated as a stepping stone for his aborted carreer.

Is it rude to acknowledge that fact? No. It's simply accepting the truth. I'm sorry if that offends anyone's delicate sensibilities, but I don't like lying - and that's what it is. Making someone out to be better or more than they were in life because you feel guilt or regret or sorrow or shame at their death is lying, and I won't stand for it.
    This story broke only a couple of hours ago and I don't see anyone saying he was perfect or anyone trying to make him seem glorious. I see you being a totally tactless about someone who has just died, someone who was loved, someone who started with nothing, struggled with addiction, and somehow still managed to 'make it big'. You're unbelievable.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have, however, been dancing since I was two, singing since I was five, and acting since I was eleven.

Since when did this become a pissing contest between you and Cory Monteith?

Sure, death doesn't make people perfect, but it sounds more like you just don't like the guy.

Edited to add: Clearly you've never dealt with the hell that is substance abuse and addiction, and I hope you never have to.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

You are 18. You know anything about life and I pray that you never have to deal with a monkey on your back like substance abuse. It can be crippling.

As for your critique of his 'skills' you obviously can't separate character from reality. Finn was his character and was all the things you described. Monteith in RL was none of the things you said judging by the many interviews I've seen him do.

I'm a diagnosed narcissist and have more empathy than you. You must be borderlining on the psychopath end of the scale.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    @ I will be the Swan: then Darling, if you are a fellow performer you must learn a really important lesson (specially if you are into Theater) we are a community, we support each other, we strive to be positive - we focus on the good side, and we don't talk **** (at least publicly) of one another. Being bitter won't get you anywhere. At no moment I tried to put him as a hero, saint or super talented guy. Yes he abused prescription drugs and alcohol, fame isn't easy, some are blessed to handle it the right way, some other can, and some just don't get their time in the spotlight - who knows why. Working on the insdustry isn't all about your talent or training, it is important yes and it should be the core of your performance, but as an actor so many other things come to game, your type, the way you (or your agent) brand / sell you, your connections, the friends you make, your work's Ethics and luck,

Maybe there is many actors who are just really lucky and book an amazing job that brings them to the spotlight, great for them, those of us who don't get to be lucky well, we keep working really hard, improving what we can to make it happen, and if it doesn't happen then we can be proud we fought for it and lived doing what we love.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    I'm a diagnosed narcissist and have more empathy than you. You must be borderlining on the psychopath end of the scale.
    Epic Quote is Epic.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

You are what is wrong with the world today. :)
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

now that is REALLY rude.

^^^ this.

This story broke only a couple of hours ago and I don't see anyone saying he was perfect or anyone trying to make him seem glorious. I see you being a totally tactless about someone who has just died, someone who was loved, someone who started with nothing, struggled with addiction, and somehow still managed to 'make it big'. You're unbelievable.

Thank you for your opinion and input. I'll try to stop being a tactless about the death of a national treasure.

But, may I just point out, I am permitted to express my opinions, too. I don't intend to be rude or tactless or cruel. . I don't intend to besmirch his name in any way. I stated my opinion - I did not say anything about him as a human being. I did not say anything untrue or cruel or wrong. I said that, as a performer, he was not on par with other members of his craft or of the cast. I've never met him, and I never will, so I can't cast aspersions or make statements about his character. All I can, and all I did, comment on was his skill as a performer.

If that offends or upsets you, then feel free to express your opinion. I will respect it. All I ask in return is that you respect mine.
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow some of these responses are actually disgusting. No one is say he was perfect, no one is glorifying him, and why are you attacking his talent? I actually liked his voice, I thought it was unique and raw in its own way. And obviously he had some talent if he was able to have as much success as he did. Clearly he had issues, but everyone does and addiction is one of the hardest things to stop. So what if he passed from an overdose? Would you be so snide if he had passed from a car crash or a heart attack?

Let him rest and have some respect.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    @ I will be the Swan: then Darling, if you are a fellow performer you must learn a really important lesson (specially if you are into Theater) we are a community, we support each other, we strive to be positive - we focus on the good side, and we don't talk **** (at least publicly) of one another. Being bitter won't get you anywhere. At no moment I tried to put him as a hero, saint or super talented guy. Yes he abused prescription drugs and alcohol, fame isn't easy, some are blessed to handle it the right way, some other can, and some just don't get their time in the spotlight - who knows why. Working on the insdustry isn't all about your talent or training, it is important yes and it should be the core of your performance, but as an actor so many other things come to game, your type, the way you (or your agent) brand / sell you, your connections, the friends you make, your work's Ethics and luck,

Maybe there is many actors who are just really lucky and book an amazing job that brings them to the spotlight, great for them, those of us who don't get to be lucky well, we keep working really hard, improving what we can to make it happen, and if it doesn't happen then we can be proud we fought for it and lived doing what we love.

I apologize if my comments came off as bitter. In all honesty, I'm not. I'm glad that his dream, however briefly, was achieved. He was obviously what the show wanted for the character he played.

I never said that you did. I stated my opinion on his skill, not him as a person, and I stated my opinion on the treatment that everyone recieves upon death.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Wow some of these responses are actually disgusting. No one is say he was perfect, no one is glorifying him, and why are you attacking his talent? I actually liked his voice, I thought it was unique and raw in its own way. And obviously he had some talent if he was able to have as much success as he did. Clearly he had issues, but everyone does and addiction is one of the hardest things to stop. So what if he passed from an overdose? Would you be so snide if he had passed from a car crash or a heart attack?

Well said
  • RodSuarez
    Options

I apologize if my comments came off as bitter. In all honesty, I'm not. I'm glad that his dream, however briefly, was achieved. He was obviously what the show wanted for the character he played.

I never said that you did. I stated my opinion on his skill, not him as a person, and I stated my opinion on the treatment that everyone recieves upon death.

As I said, just as a piece of advice, I hope you don't talk like that with any members of the industry (which in NYC/LA almost everybody is at least aspiring), it wouldn't be good for your own career.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

My apologies if my comments came off as snide, but honestly, yes. I would not have brought his history into the conversation, but the rest of it would still have been intact. My apologies if that displeases you, but my opinion is mine to share, and I intend no disrespect. I have a right to voice my opinion just as you have a right to voice yours. I simply ask that you respect mine, as I have made an effort to respect yours - whether or not it comes through has yet to be seen.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

You are what is wrong with the world today. :)

I apologize if I've offended you, but I'm certain that war, rape culture, abuse, kidnapping, terrorism, unjust arrest, and thousands of other plights are higher up the ladder of things wrong with the world today than I.

All I have done is state and defend my opinion on someone's skill and society's treatment of the dead. If you found it to be inappropriate, offensive, or despicable, then I accept and appreciate your opinion; I only ask that, in return, you respect mine. You needn't respect me, or even acknowledge me, in future events, but my opinion is my opinion, and that doesn't make me a horrible person.
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

My apologies if my comments came off as snide, but honestly, yes. I would not have brought his history into the conversation, but the rest of it would still have been intact. My apologies if that displeases you, but my opinion is mine to share, and I intend no disrespect. I have a right to voice my opinion just as you have a right to voice yours. I simply ask that you respect mine, as I have made an effort to respect yours - whether or not it comes through has yet to be seen.

However politely you word your responses does not change the fact that you're basically dragging his name through the mud. When you say things like "nothing I've said is cruel or untrue" right after you trashed his talent just makes you sound like a fool.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

now that is REALLY rude.

^^^ this.

What the eff are you smoking? This story broke only a couple of hours ago and I don't see anyone saying he was perfect or anyone trying to make him seem glorious. I see you being a totally tactless bellend about someone who has just died, someone who was loved, someone who started with nothing, struggled with addiction, and somehow still managed to 'make it big'. You're unbelievable.

Thank you for your opinion and input. I'll try to stop being a tactless c*ckhead about the death of a national treasure.

But, may I just point out, I am permitted to express my opinions, too. I don't intend to be rude or tactless or cruel. I am not smoking anything, nor am I drinking/huffing/popping/shooting up anything. I don't intend to besmirch his name in any way. I stated my opinion - I did not say anything about him as a human being. I did not say anything untrue or cruel or wrong. I said that, as a performer, he was not on par with other members of his craft or of the cast. I've never met him, and I never will, so I can't cast aspersions or make statements about his character. All I can, and all I did, comment on was his skill as a performer.

If that offends or upsets you, then feel free to express your opinion. I will respect it. All I ask in return is that you respect mine.

Again, your intent is irrelevant. You are definitely coming across as rude. tactless and cruel, and you have been trying to besmirch his name. You states your opinions as fact. You've indicated your complete ignorance about addiction issues. You've said plenty that has been untrue, cruel and wrong. The fact that you don't see that makes you a bellend. It seems to me that you may have been jealous that someone you thought talentless was famous and not you. Jealousy is ugly. You are gorgeous on the outside, love, but inside you seem to be a septic tank.

I respect your right to have your opinions, but I don't respect the opinions you've expressed. You need to grow up an stop being so bitter.

I honestly haven't. If it comes off that way, I apologize. I am aware of what addiction does, very much so. I'm not jealous of his career, or of him; we wouldn't have been in the same pool as I'm younger than he is and of a different sex.

I thank you for accepting that facet of this conversation, and, once more, I apologize for any offence I've caused. I am not bitter, nor am I jealous, nor am I a psychopath, an another comment suggested. I expressed an opinion, and that's all. Opinions differ; lives differ. What I think and how I think it is not analagous with what you think and how you think it. It doesn't make me a monster. It makes me a person.

As a teenager, many parts of my brain are still developing and growing. I hope that, when finished, you find their - and my - progress to be satisfactory.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm merely speaking on behalf of his skill in regards to what I've seen of it.

That's what I don't understand. What are you responding to? If there are hundreds of tweets saying "RIP Cory Monteith, your death has suddenly made me realize that you were an awesome dancer and your voice totally outshone the rest of the cast and that's the only reason I miss you," I haven't seen any.

No one is praising him for being flawless. In fact, most people seem to be praising him for the fact that he was so open and honest about his flaws and his struggles. I just don't see why you felt the need to give your critique of his performance skills.
This discussion has been closed.