Picking on Pop-tarts - Dirty Food?

Options

Replies

• rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Take one mars bar, cover it in batter, and deep fry till the batter is crisp and golden and the inside is melted. Then eat. This is apparently the national dish of Scotland.

Nope, slightly inaccurate! The deep fried mars bar is not the national dish of Scotland. I live in central Scotland and I have never ever come across a takeaway that has this on their menu, nor indeed do I know of anyone friends or family who has ever tried this little "delicacy". It is not widely available, it was a passing fad that came about in a small area of Western Scotland, a newspaper picked up on it, and now people seem to think most of us here in Scotland consume such an item on a regular basis. We don't.

However, on that note, yes, the Scots do have an unhealthy obsession with deep fried items! If it is a sweet item, such as banana or pineapple deep fried in batter it is known as a "fritter" which can easily be acquired from most Chinese takeaway outlets in Scotland. I've had banana fritter twice in my life, and I have to say in all it's disgusting glory was one of the most delicious things I have eaten! I sure had a terrible stomach ache afterwards though. Never again, now I know better.
    Some of the things I have spotted on the menu at takeaways include, battered sausage, battered haggis, deep fried pizza (no kidding) along with the more standard fish n chips. And of course all washed down with the rather luminous orange fizzy soda beverage known as Irn Bru. Whiskey aside, our national beverage. :drinker:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Did I here mention of Pop Tarts??? In for the Pop Tarts....

DE11813_zps3002efc8.jpg

Red velvet for me please!:drinker:

Why haven't I heard of any of these flavours here in Canada?!?!

This.

It's really just not fair. I'd at least like to see the red velvet ones here. The newest I've seen are chocolate chip cookie dough and cookies and cream.

I get so sick of seeing all the awesome flavours of things the US has but we don't, makes me dislike my country just a weeeeeeeeee bit.

Why can't we just have them all?!

At least you get some of them! In Australia you have to find them at specialty candy shops and they are $10 a FRIGGEN BOX!! :frown: :noway: :grumble: :explode: :brokenheart: :sad:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    fruit roll ups

Those. Love them and I am pretty sure nothing natural is used to make them.

Yummmmm
  • GermanicKnight
    Options

DE11813_zps3002efc8.jpg

GUILTY PLEASURE right here. oh nomnomnoms!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the deep fried bacon, the chocolate covered bacon, bacon candy bars, and bacon in cookies :heart:
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Take one mars bar, cover it in batter, and deep fry till the batter is crisp and golden and the inside is melted. Then eat. This is apparently the national dish of Scotland.

Nope, slightly inaccurate! The deep fried mars bar is not the national dish of Scotland. I live in central Scotland and I have never ever come across a takeaway that has this on their menu, nor indeed do I know of anyone friends or family who has ever tried this little "delicacy". It is not widely available, it was a passing fad that came about in a small area of Western Scotland, a newspaper picked up on it, and now people seem to think most of us here in Scotland consume such an item on a regular basis. We don't.

However, on that note, yes, the Scots do have an unhealthy obsession with deep fried items! If it is a sweet item, such as banana or pineapple deep fried in batter it is known as a "fritter" which can easily be acquired from most Chinese takeaway outlets in Scotland. I've had banana fritter twice in my life, and I have to say in all it's disgusting glory was one of the most delicious things I have eaten! I sure had a terrible stomach ache afterwards though. Never again, now I know better.
    Some of the things I have spotted on the menu at takeaways include, battered sausage, battered haggis, deep fried pizza (no kidding) along with the more standard fish n chips. And of course all washed down with the rather luminous orange fizzy soda beverage known as Irn Bru. Whiskey aside, our national beverage. :drinker:

Wow. I'm such a sucker for deep-fried food! Aside from the battered haggis, a meal of battered sausage and DEEP FRIED PIZZA (God! That sounds awesome!), fish and chips washed down with fizzy orange soda sounds AMAZING! :drinker:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had to break my husband's Little Debbie obsession when we first got married. We were grocery shopping just last week and there was a huge center display of various dirty things and I told him to get his eyes off those honey buns and he was like how did you know what I was looking at!? After 13 years he still looks at Little Debbie- the cheater.

LOL! I was trying to think of the worst foods I've seen in gas station convenience stores and those honey buns are definitely a candidate. Tons of fats and calories and lots of chemicals. I discovered last week that we now own stock in a convenience store business (CST) as a spinoff of our Valero stock and my broker was teasing me about owning stock in a junk food business. Really- I go through those places and shudder. I would add another candidate: their sandwiches made of nasty white bread, cold cuts, and "pasteurized process cheese food". Not a shred of lettuce or veggies anywhere around. Then they have the nerve to add mayo.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    I think those peanut butter pop tarts are delicious. The post about them not being easily available in Australia may be the saddest news I hear today.

I do enjoy Little dirty Debbie's and deep fried goodness.
  • nkoconnell
    nkoconnell Posts: 34
    Options
    Hahaha I started a pop tart fire once... At work. And the toaster was under the top cabinets and the flames were licking at the wood. Looking back, sorry we put that one out :)
  • nkoconnell
    nkoconnell Posts: 34
    Options
    Pork roll and cheese on a hard roll, with home fries. The perfect Jersey Diner food.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are the dirtiest thing, food-wise, that I've ever put in my mouth.

When I was a kid, I pretended a twinkie was a cigar, and I inhaled. I choked on the fumes!

I still ate it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Anything Little Debbie makes.
    This.

Their food is designed to sit in unrefrigerated vending machines for months, so it's loaded with the highest amount of preservatives they can legally get away with.

Chips (like Doritos) and puffs (like Cheetos) are in the same league.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Or almost anything else at the State Fair. Corn dogs. Ahhhhh.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Funyuns
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mainers love the Canadian delicacy poutine. Platter of french fries covered in brown gravy smothered in shredded cheese, some go as far as adding bacon and other toppings.
    It's an oxymoron meal, cheese to bind ya, grease to explode ya.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

DE11813_zps3002efc8.jpg

Red velvet for me please!:drinker:

Im sorry Did u say Red Velvet Pop Tarts???? ***Waving hands*** Sign me up!!!!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Pop-tarts and ice cream sounds so good! My dirty food would be those Pecan Pies in the baking section at Target, they have so many ingredients, mostly preservatives! I would take a piece of that pie, slather some ice cream on it then top it off with chocolate fudge and some nuts. I haven't eaten anything like that in forever but if I was going to do something dirty that's how it would go down.

OMG...that sounds horrid...yet strangely delicious. I just may have to try that one.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ewwww, you had to bring up those nasty "pudding" and "fruit" pies didnt you, OP? :tongue: :wink: Ugh, I agree, those things were and are disgusting! I had blocked them from my memory till now. *shudders*
    Honestly though, it's hard for me to decide what is the dirtiest food wise because I either find a way to "clean it up" so to speak, as in make it at home so I know what's in it, or it goes on a short list of "Okay, I know that's not the best food in the world but I want it" and I control how often it happens. Sadly, fast food cheeseburgers are still on the "middle ground" list for me because I know until I get better organized, I'm going to end up eating out a few times a month so I choose the least deadly of the choices.

Now back on topic, the nastiest food I can think of is anything with "helper" at the end of it. I see only a box full of chemicals I can't pronounce and enough sodium and MSG to fell a horse.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mainers love the Canadian delicacy poutine. Platter of french fries covered in brown gravy smothered in shredded cheese, some go as far as adding bacon and other toppings.
    It's an oxymoron meal, cheese to bind ya, grease to explode ya.

It's not an oxymoron, it's WELL-BALANCED. Right?
  • RonaldJP
    RonaldJP Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I should run away from this thread as fast as possible.

On-topic: Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls. OHGOD THE CRAVINGS