Grossed out by excessive eating after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    The only thing I got out of this post is that I want to go to lunch with your dad, and have a slice of pie.
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would say that no, it isn't really normal. Other people's eating habits aren't really your concern, unless you are genuinely concerned that they're making themselves ill.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the responses. Yes, I feel that way. I often say something. Not mean, just kinda like, "wow. I gues you're hungry, eh?"

I'm very judgey of that with friends and family. If its an occasion, I don't care. But, if it's as you described, yes, that's too much food for a person.

I agree the responses are really harsh. Many people go on an Emotional roller-coaster when they start out. Judgement, anger, grief are ALL part of the process, at least they were for me. Everyone tries to make this journey sound so simple. Its not. Food and ALL the feelings associated with change must be processed and sometimes those feelings aren't so pretty. Who are you guys to shame her over it? I don't think shes at risk of getting an eating disorder. I think shes Awakened and most likely cant believe whats shes seeing now. If our society didn't eat so dang much we wouldn't have an obesity problem. Period.

Yea, this is true; everyone judges. The responses are varied, but not really "harsh". What you're seeing is a collective input of opinions. I judge like everyone else; however I personally don't feel it's my job to butt into other people's lives and police other people's eating habits. Not only is it not my business; I simply don't care that much.

It's one thing to judge someone -- it's purely another to open your mouth and involve yourself in someone else's business.

"Who are you guys to shame her over it?"

If you are going to ask this question, then I must ask as well: who is she to shame other people over their eating habits?

But she DIDNT shame him. She didnt say anything to him. She made the mistake of telling MFP Forum so that now instead of supporting a woman at the beginning of her journey with good advice ( a lot Ive actually seen popping up) she could be told shes this, that and the other, re-evaluate your relationship with food, eating disorder, blah blah..

I may have missed it but who said she had an eating disorder?

Also,
    So today I noticed for the first time that when people overeat I get disgusted

Especially as it was a normal meal

He ate his whole meal and her fries too. and pie. Thats normal? Obviously we dont know anything about her dad. Maybe he has lots of cals to spare since he just left the gym? IDK. but no matter what, eating 1.5 fast food meals is no good for the human body. Im guessing the sodium alone was off the charts. She got disgusted. SO WHAT????? Its her dad and she loves him and wants him to live a long life. HOW she goes about life and TREATING people is what matters. Since she didnt say anything rude and it was just an observation, I dont see the harm. I think the key is to observe our thoughts. Observe our behaviors. Thats the only way to actually change anything. Maybe she just needs to avoid eating out with people that are gorging themselves. If it made me sick to my stomach I certainly would,. Because my job is to take care of ME. And I dont have to be around ANYTHING that I dislike. For ANY reason. I dont care if society thinks its OK, or Im an a** if I disagree. That part of the whole personal power thing is what gave me the strength to change my life. :)

Wut?
    This. If it was someone I loved I'd worry about them. Disgust has nothing to do with caring and loving someone. I would characterize that as quite the opposite feeling. If people I love are disgusted with me, I'd rather them not keep that a secret. If you're worried about them you can be open with someone and 'treat' someone just fine. The disgust part, yeah, don't go hiding that behind love. Love isn't disgusted.
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    I feel like this too, since I started losing the weight consistently when I see people eat more than they should I feel slightly grossed out abit
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So today I noticed for the first time that when people overeat I get disgusted. I went out with my parents today and we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. I got a honey mustard chicken wrap and fries and only ate about half of the wrap and only a quarter of the fries (they gave you so many)! Now, my mom is a good eater, but my dad got a turkey sandwich covered in gravy, and ate it all. Then ate all of my fries plus his which were soaked in gravy. THEN, he ordered a piece of pie! I felt like throwing up. I want to tell him to get healthy, but it would make him angry. I've only lost 13 pounds and already feel this way, is it normal?

A turkey sandwich with gravy and a slice of pie for dessert....sounds heavenly, not disgusting at all.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Now if someone at my table requested gravy on his or her pie, that might bother me a little bit........
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Grossed out? No. Depending on the person eating, I sometimes feel (1) concern that they aren't making a wise food choice because I know that specific person's health history and dietary needs, (2) envy if it is something I would love to eat but it doesn't fit my macros or calorie goals for that day, (3) worry that they're so hungry that we should order more food, or (4) nothing at all because I'm focused on something else. I almost never notice what strangers are eating except to say "oooh, I want that!"

If your food leaves your mouth and hits your plate, the table or (shudder) my face, I reserve the right to be grossed out. Unless you're under 7, in which case I will try to help you learn table manners because I'm probably your mom.
  • learninmama
    learninmama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people eat...the only exception being my children & that's only because it's my job to teach them how to eat properly so they don't end up where I did & have hopefully a healthier relationship with food than I once did.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Now if someone at my table requested gravy on his or her pie, that might bother me a little bit........

What if it's Shepherd's Pie?

pie-7.jpg
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I guess it is politically correct to refrain from acknowledging self-destructive behavior. We can’t come across as being judgmental after all, perish the thought! But I value the health of those I care about more than trying to appear PC or nonjudgmental.

If your dad is suffering from health problems because of his eating habits, you are killing him with kindness by remaining silent. You can tactfully mention your observations, and if it upsets him, it won’t be anywhere near as upsetting as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Your Dad helped give you life, raise you, support you and has always loved you. He's earned some gravy-slathered fries and pie. Maybe he was exceptionally hungry or was just really enjoying the restaurant you were at. In the grand scheme of things, this is really no big deal. You may want him to "get healthy" but I've known plenty of people who indulge like that and are just fine for it. Don't rush to judgment. :wink:
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Even before losing weight I have been disgusted by my mom's heating habits. She is five foot one, 300lbs and on top of that has RA. I'm disgusted how she justifies all the food she eats and all the excuses why she can't lose weight because of the RA. Umm, well they say losing weight is 80% diet, so yeah just another excuse. Sorry for the random tangent. It's a sore subject for me.

I use her eating habits as motivation for me not to do the same. I have always eat better around her. Now that I live closer to her my overall health has improved by eating better and being more active. I can't change my mom (been there, done that, she does not listen), but I can channel my "disgust" into something positive for myself.

Funny thing, my mom and dad can eat the exact sames meal. Yet, I'm not disgusted by my dad because he is better shape overall. He is pretty active and medical vitals are good.

Now people I do not know or do not spend much time with? I don't care what they eat. For all I know they saved calories just to eat that meal. Except buffets. I've ALWAYS been disgusted at the amount of food people eat at buffets. Which is one reason I do not eat at them.
  • wesleysmom11
    Options
    I find myself being very critical of other people's eating habits as well...and much more aware of just how overweight (and quite frankly, obese) MANY people are. I was at Disney World last week and I was floored at the sheer size of so many of the families there. I never thought too much about it before. I think it's more just being self-aware and becoming in-tune with what's around you now when you weren't before.
    I don't SAY anything to them about what they are eating b/c honestly it's their business just as I wouldn't have wanted anyone saying anything to me 3 months ago either. If people want to change their lifestyles, they will on their own accord or they will ask for help.. i don't think it's wrong your're feeling completely disgusted with bad eating though... just watch that it doesn't turn to overall disgust at food in general... that would be a red flag.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    about 7 months ago my sister in law came for a visit. It was before I really started on this journey. She had lost a significant amount of weight and looked healthy. Obesity runs in their family. Anyhow, she never judged my lifestyle. Never once pushed her habits on me. However, watching her, I realized what I was doing. Without a word being said, not one look of disapproval, I realized it COULD be done. Now, I have lost over 40 pounds. Many people ask how I did it. That is when I talk about it with others, only when they ask. I did not start this journey to change the world, only myself.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just remember that everyone has the right to eat whatever they like. You can make healthy choices, and others should respect you for that and not try and make you feel like you're 'no fun' or whatever. In exactly the same way, you should respect other people's choices.

If a person asks you for advice on eating more healthily, by all means, give it to them, but you can't judge someone else on their choices.

Just my 10pence :P
  • AlexisW95
    AlexisW95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While Its not our place to judge others, I am in the same position. Ive lost 13 lbs and I think eating is one of the most discusting thing people do. I hate hearing or seeing people eat, especially when its excessive. I don't know if it is because I know I can't do that if I want to lose the weight, or its its because it really is nasty. My sister can eat 4 man sized meals a day and not gain weight and I gain weight just looking at food. Anyway, I totally understand!!!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The only over-eating that I'm grossed out about, is MYSELF. Really disgusted by myself during and after my binges.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I totally get grossed out by people who are clearly not in good shape overeating.

Shrug- I don't say anything... but I definitely take note and get grossed out- call me judgy- whatever. It grosses me out. I can't change how I feel about things- I have a right to my feelings- regardless if they are "PC" or "judgy".

That's the thing about feelings- they just are. how others perceive them is something else- but feelings themselves- they aren't rational or logical or anything else- they just are. And you cant' tell me not to have them.

So what- she got grossed out- she's not alone.

Let her lead by example. who gives a ****.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Wow. Some people on here are just shining their little halo's, aren't they?! :grumble:

No, I don't think it sounds like you're developing an eating disorder as some people have suggested. Yes, I think it is very normal to have a heightened awareness of others eating habits now that you are being healthier and it can be an unpleasant experience to watch someone stuffing their face with food. It makes me feel sick. However, that should be an entirely internal thing, be careful not to judge and be too harsh on people who choose to eat that way.

Agree, this was my point last night! Well said :)
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    about 7 months ago my sister in law came for a visit. It was before I really started on this journey. She had lost a significant amount of weight and looked healthy. Obesity runs in their family. Anyhow, she never judged my lifestyle. Never once pushed her habits on me. However, watching her, I realized what I was doing. Without a word being said, not one look of disapproval, I realized it COULD be done. Now, I have lost over 40 pounds. Many people ask how I did it. That is when I talk about it with others, only when they ask. I did not start this journey to change the world, only myself.

I love this story! Power of example :)