I couldn't NOT share this with you guys.. Gross.

Options

Replies

• LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Aww, it's just a little extra protein, what's the harm? :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've eaten worse.

This. A few bugs won't hurt.

I paid damn good money to eat snails. Just add some butter and dill, and you're good to go.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just think of it as more protein... I wonder if the nutritional information on the packages/cans take the bugs into account when they calculate the nutrients. :laugh:
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    that is just extra protein :)

Not the protein I was looking for haha :wink:

There are much nicer options ..lol
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    that is just extra protein :)

Not the protein I was looking for haha :wink:

LOL yeah better off with a shake
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you know of anything else gross like that, please, let me know!:

some coffee beans get passed through the digestive system of monkeys or cats, get de-pooped, then gets sold as gourmet coffee for the masses
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna read it, but as long as you cook the bugs, they're ok, right? :-)
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Found it on the internet, so it must be true. You know they can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true.

original.gif
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you soak fresh vegetables in some salt water, then rinse well before you cook or eat them, the salt water will kill bugs, worms, etc. that are still in the veggies and they will rinse out. You can do the same for mushrooms, you just don't want to leave them in the salt water too long or they will get mushy.

As for what's in your canned goods, you've been eating them all of your life and no harm has come to you. Many cultures eat insects. We just think it's gross because our society has taught us to think it is. I don't eat a lot of canned goods but won't stop eating the ones I do.

They eat silk worms here as gourmet.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

some coffee beans get passed through the digestive system of monkeys or cats, get de-pooped, then gets sold as gourmet coffee for the masses

I saw that :sick:
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Classic case of "What you don't know won't hurt you." And even if you do know it still won't hurt you.

That there are occasional critters in organic (as in biological) objects is not a news flash. How are you surprised by this? You are not going to find a plant based food product produced on Earth that doesn't have a statistically significant number of small creatures, or parts thereof, in it. Because they are EVERYWHERE.

There's probably a bug on you right now. :laugh:
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    That is why I buy fresh mushrooms... They are more expensive but, it is worth it because I have never seen any bugs in fresh mushrooms...

I have heard of many horror stories concerning canned food... In addition, the sodium content of canned food is ridiculous...
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled no one in the thread has corrected the OP yet :o

So I'll be the party pooper and be THAT PERSON

C'mon guys, mushrooms aren't vegetables!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

It is kopi luwak and the animals are civets - not monkeys.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As an entomologist, I am highly offended by all the buggy-shaming going on in this thread.

Reported.

*flounce*
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Get over it. All of your packaged or canned ANYTHING has rat hairs, bug parts, etc. I love that people freak about this stuff, I find it funny. Who cares? Your fresh veggies probably have bug eggs and all sorts of yummies on them, too. Big deal.

Edited to add:
    Classic case of "What you don't know won't hurt you." And even if you do know it still won't hurt you.

That there are occasional critters in organic (as in biological) objects is not a news flash. How are you surprised by this? You are not going to find a plant based food product produced on Earth that doesn't have a statistically significant number of small creatures, or parts thereof, in it. Because they are EVERYWHERE.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you know of anything else gross like that, please, let me know!:noway:
    ALL food. Seriously, look at the dust mites that live in your bed too. Whatever. Life is messy.:drinker:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mushrooms personally but I read this long ago...I'm sure all fruits and veggies have little critters in them from time to time, whether it be fresh or canned. I mean...they all came from a tree/the ground/a plant/etc at some time anyway! :D
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What's the big deal? We unknowingly eat bugs all the time.

Oh wait, I just recognized your avatar.

So sorry to hear you are going thru this trying time , OP. May time and distance help assuage you of your grief. I totally sympathize with your problem.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Google "eyelash mites".

You're welcome.