I couldn't NOT share this with you guys.. Gross.

Options

Replies

• roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah. If I go outside right now, there are thrips and aphids crawling on my tomato and pepper plants. There are japanese beetles eating my green beans. When I was a child, growing up in the country, we'd pick the beetles off the blackberries and eat the berries. And, I'm still alive. Go figure.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    What's the big deal? We unknowingly eat bugs all the time.

Oh wait, I just recognized your avatar.

So sorry to hear you are going thru this trying time , OP. May time and distance help assuage you of your grief. I totally sympathize with your problem.

What's your problem?
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like big bugs and I can not lie. J/K, sort of I read about this years ago. I still eat bugs just about everyday. I won't eat the wormy cheese for the record, but if a few bugs make it into a chocolate bar no biggie.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's amazing the things the FDA allows to be in food. There's a certain number of coliforms (bacteria found in *kitten*-so essentially..*kitten*) allowed in milk, meats, and other foods. I tested hotdogs, hamburger and milk (all bought at our local grocery store) and found all three were over the allowable amounts of poo...I find it ridiculous that there's an amount of poo allowable in my food, and even more so that companies are going over these amounts. SICK money hungry people.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    Really no different than my own garden. Of course there are things on/in vegetables. I'm sure I eat plenty of dirt. Seriously, rinsing lettuce is a pain. Our bodies are made to handle those things. It's because we go about killing every bug and bacterium that it becomes a problem.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like big bugs and I can not lie.

LOL!
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Really gross!
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Let me be the first to point out that mushrooms are actually grown in crap. Have you noticed the brown dirt like substance on on mushrooms? Crap. So there. So crap or maggots. Pick one. At least there's protein in maggots.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Google told you there are 30 maggots in a can of shrooms? Or it told you that the FDA allows up to 30maggots in a can?
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    All I can say is - I didn`t get to be chubby by being a picky eater!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a farming community and everyone, even my family, had extensive gardens. Organic, though we hadn't heard of such a thing back then. Do you know how many bugs are in plants that aren't pesticide treated? We'd go through every morning squishing bugs and pulling weeds. We'd eat peas right off the plant, pick worms out of our corn before we cooked it.

Bugs in food is as old as, well, food itself.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Try googling casu marzu - rotten cheese from Sardinia - the maggots (and their feces) give it that little extra something. The maggots are live, BTW.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez that sounds so nasty. I can't afford fresh tomatoes for everything, don't know what to do now.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh so nasty!! Makes me sick!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Meh. If I dwell on it I get the squicks, but I don't dwell on it because I have enough cognitive capability to understand that bugs on produce -- canned, frozen, or fresh -- are not a big deal and won't hurt me.

ETA: If you're disconnected enough from your food that a few insects horrify you, I might gently suggest that you do something about that. Food ultimately comes from the world around us, from the dirt and the bugs and the animal poop and the muck. I'm not a crazy clean-eating Paleo-loving raw locavore, but I do think it's good to keep in mind where food really comes from, try to get food that's close to the source when it's feasible, and celebrate that rather than become disgusted by it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as extra protein - insects are delicacies in some parts of the world, and a great cheap source of protein :wink:
    THIS. Lol, if you never found out, you'd have kept eating them. Insects are actually one of he main sources of protein for many countries and lack cholesterol and fat. It's just how Westerners think of them based on how we deal with pest control.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's only gross if you know about it, amirite?
  • Seashell7272
    Seashell7272 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is funny that you wrote this because I just threw out all of the canned mushrooms in my house last week. I read an article about how mushrooms grown in China are fertilized with human feces. I quickly ran to my pantry and saw the label said "product of China" and I tossed them right out.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    where were you 20 minutes ago i just had supper with canned mushrooms big one sliced. note to self stay out of topics not ment to guys lol
  • jetSpeed28
    jetSpeed28 Posts: 34
    Options
    Caterpillars aren't ugly.:smile:

They are in my spinach! :noway:

I get to see them every week from the organic veggie delivery.