I couldn't NOT share this with you guys.. Gross.

Options

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For the OCD among us that really want to be grossed out:
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm

US FDA acceptable levels of filth in food...
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    So lately, I've been eating canned mushrooms as a "vegetable addition" to lunch.. not often, but I've been enjoying them. Now I know they're TERRIBLE for you, but whatever, they were easy. So as I'm packing my lunch tonight, I curiously Googled "canned mushrooms" and stumbled upon a few articles suggesting that there are over 30 MAGGOTS per 3.5 oz can of mushrooms. Well, if that's not enough to make you vomit, I then found this article that I had to share. I suggest you read it, because it may change the way you look at some fruits and vegetables.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/grossest-bugs-you-dont-know-youre-eating

I'm so freaked out. Needless to say, those canned mushrooms were deleted from my food diary for tomorrow, and the can was chucked in the garbage.

If you know of anything else gross like that, please, let me know!:noway:

I am as grossed out by insects as you are. But I also try to put it into perspective. The majority of them are dead, most probably don't have dangerous diseases, and are considered perfectly edible in many places as someone mentioned. So, how bad can it actually be? Lately, whenever I have to suck up a bug with the vacuum, I tell myself it's a shame that I'm wasting perfectly good bird food.

Btw, I do know some other gross tidbits. We all have microscopic insects on our skin and in our eyelash follicles...even the prettiest, most clean-conscious girls have them.

Also, we have more bacterial cells in and on our body than the total number of human cells! But they're so light in weight they apparently don't amount to that much in comparison as our cells. Not sure what fraction by weight they make up.

btw, maggots are disgusting! Thanks a LOT!

• tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    In India, they eat fresh live maggots. Don't worry about trivial things. You've been eating the canned mushrooms and you're fine.

This is like the arsenic in the apple juice BS.

Im Indian and ive never seen nor heard of anyone anywhere in India eating a plate of live maggots, what part of India does this happen? Would love to know!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. If you stop eating everything that has bugs in it, you'll be very, very hungry. But on the plus side, you'll be reaching your goal weight very quickly.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you know of anything else gross like that, please, let me know!:

some coffee beans get passed through the digestive system of monkeys or cats, get de-pooped, then gets sold as gourmet coffee for the masses

It is kopi luwak and the animals are civets - not monkeys.

There was another kind of rare expensive gourmet coffee being passed through elephants as well.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    So, basically what you're saying is that you haven't been logging your food correctly. :tongue:
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating canned veggies years ago.... but this is enough that I may vomit every time I walk through the canned aisle in the store... Bleah
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. If you stop eating everything that has bugs in it, you'll be very, very hungry. But on the plus side, you'll be reaching your goal weight very quickly.

Precisely this! Love it.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just another good reason for me not to eat mushrooms...ewe!!! I am a "texture" person and mushrooms are one of the many things I have a problem with the texture of. I know...strange, but just the way I have always been. And, I realize that chocolate also has larva in it, but I try to ignore that fact each time I eat it as I do LOVE chocolate.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There are some things I'd just rather not know about...
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    is it weird that this doesn't bother me?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

Eh. Big deal. I'm sure you eat a lot of those same bugs when you pick that tomato straight from the garden and pop it into your mouth unwashed.

It's a fact that you eat a LOT of bugs through out the year be it in food or just yawning while you're taking a walk.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    And then comes in apple cider. Oh well, at least they have been cooked properly so no harm done.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Now I have yet another reason why I don't eat canned vegetables. I do eat frozen veggies every once in a while, so I will start rinsing them prior to putting them in the steamer or pan.

Thanks for the info!!
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Microscopic bugs are in cheese :noway: :grumble: :ohwell:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I swallowed a big June bug when we were driving. I'm not really hungry.
    2918755_std.jpg
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For the OCD among us that really want to be grossed out:
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm

US FDA acceptable levels of filth in food...

If you think the current levels of acceptable "filth" in food is gag worthy then I suggest you read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle to get an idea of how bad things used to be. It's impossible to expect 100% sanitary conditions.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you were going to be particular about what you eat, you wouldn't eat anything. No more pizza (because of the way mozzarella cheese is made), no more hamburgers, no more bread of anykind, but especially not artisnal bread, no more fruit, no more veggies.

Heck, why would anyone even buy meat, considering most of it is crawling with bacteria? At least canned goods don't have live bugs in them.

The point is, nothing it 'pure', nothing is 'pristine' when it comes to food. And if it were, you'd get sick from that, because you need the bacteria, you need the dirt.

So let's not take the common unknown stuff and turn it into a freak-out of digust.

Food. It grows in dirt, and plenty of lifeforms eat it.

(and not to shock you, but I understand that some of your food is even grown in manure. And some is sprayed with chemicals ! There is no safe place! !)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Interesting... but what most people don't know is that you will also consume bugs in your sleep without realizing it either.

You can look it up, there is definitely some research being done on the consumptions of bugs in our sleep, I honestly don't care cause it isn't like it will poison me and it is completely edible and can easily go unnoticed.

The fruit flies are one thing that I cannot stand though because my banana's don't always get eaten and that turns into an infestation of fruit flies if I forget a banana in the cupboard (My daughter mows through probably 6 in a day if I leave it out where she can get it so I put them away) and they are hard buggers to get rid of :K