Jenny McCarthy on 'The View'

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I only watched her on MTV's Singled Out.

I have no opinion here..

She's hot though..
    Baseketball. Game over.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I only watched her on MTV's Singled Out.

I have no opinion here..

She's hot though..
    Baseketball. Game over.
    I forgot about this entirely. So funny.

She IS funny--kind of like a middle schooler--I will give her that, but yeesh, some of her insane ideas. Yikes.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty established that her son doesn't have autism.

I'm asking this quite honestly. Is that true?
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    As (a) someone with a compromised immune system and (b) someone who works in healthcare, I'd like to see Jenny McCarthy sit at the beside of a sick infant who's struggling to breathe from whooping cough and explain to that baby's parents why her crackpot theories are more important than their child not having pneumonia. And then I would like to see her shoved into the nearest volcano.

I came to say something like this but you did it just perfect.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I don't tend to get my medical (or any other) advice from tv personalities. She's kind of funny. I'm guessing that's why she got the job.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    She's funny, and I've read her books. However, she's neither a doctor, nor a scientist. I wish she'd STFU about vaccines causing autism.

*Disclaimer, I work for one of the "Big Four" US hospital systems, but my bosses who save lives on a daily basis have demonstrated conclusively that Jenny's wrong.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty established that her son doesn't have autism.

I'm asking this quite honestly. Is that true?

It's hard to tell (particularly since medical records aren't public) but public accounts of her son's illness seem to indicate that he may have a rare seizure disorder (Landau-Kleffner syndrome) which is apparently often misdiagnosed as autism. His illness started with seizures and improved once the seizures were treated, which indicates this rare disorder was likely the cause.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    She claims to have cured her son's autism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bhQ3SYJhg

It'd be nice if public figures were held accountable for the unsubstantiated claims they declare as fact. But we can't even get supposed news outlets to state the truth, as they're considered "news entertainment".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    they very often throw around topics (respectfully)

What do you find respectful about most of their discussions?

I despise that show.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My point was more that I think it's dangerous to give her a soap box... I understand adjusting immunization schedules/picking certain ones you don't want administered. But her "blaming" her child's autism on vaccines is silly, and her preaching it to the world is dangerous. Next thing you know, polio and smallpox are back in style.
    OK. I think you've missed a lot. Jenny McCarthy believes the vaccine crap because some dippy doctor in England published a false study that "proved" vaccinations caused autism. A LOT of people believed this way before Jenny was even thinking about getting pregnant.

The doc has come out and admitted his study was false, but people still believe it, even people who never heard of JM. Don't blame her for being one more sheep.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My point was more that I think it's dangerous to give her a soap box... I understand adjusting immunization schedules/picking certain ones you don't want administered. But her "blaming" her child's autism on vaccines is silly, and her preaching it to the world is dangerous. Next thing you know, polio and smallpox are back in style.

I think thats the point in 'the view".
    They like different radical personalities for ratings....
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Jenny McCarthy is a complete hack who thinks that being a little famous makes her an expert on whatever she feels like talking about that day. She's risking thousands of kids health based on a study she doesn't understand and research that has been proven over and over to be false.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    but she's got a great pair of norks. /thread.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options

I love that site so much. I use it against antivaxxers who try to spew how horrible people are for vaccinating their kids.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    She claims to have cured her son's autism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bhQ3SYJhg

It'd be nice if public figures were held accountable for the unsubstantiated claims they declare as fact. But we can't even get supposed news outlets to state the truth, as they're considered "news entertainment".

Why should she be held accountable? She's a comedian, not a doctor. Shouldn't everyday citizens be held responsible for their own research and decision making? Why should there always be someone else to blame for people acting stupidly?
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    but she's got a great pair of norks. /thread.

63733d1164785768usbabymurderedmicrowavemorbo1.jpg

NORKS ARE NOT A VALID SCIENTIFIC ARGUMENT! GOOD NIGHT!
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    The thing anti-vaccination people never seem to understand is that their position is irrelevant.

Even if they do cause Autism, which they don't, they're still one of the greatest inventions mankind has ever thought up. Even if everything they ever said is true people should still get vaccines anyway.

The Anti-Vac crowd is like someone arguing against eating because it might give you heartburn.

One problem is that a lot of people were born in an age when vaccines had already done their job quite well and reduced the frequency of many serious disease. If you can't see a problem it doesn't exist. That's a very human cognitive flaw. But of course most of these diseases are not gone. They're still lurking. If we stop the vaccinations they'll be back.

ebe470907567209186a555034f2e5348.jpg
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch her on there but I know she's pretty radical. Her kid is autistic I think and attributes it to the shots they got? Not sure but I think the jist. My wife and I don't do the normal schedule of shots. Too much crap going in your baby at once isnt good. We spread them out and do just one at a time.

They do believe that there may be a link between vaccinations and children being auristic. The vaccination decision should be left to the child's parents.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    oh and she already has a sopabox, she had her own talk show for a while, had a radio show, has numerous books, and a couple websites. She's not the only person in the world that believes immunizations lead to autism and she won't be the last, we can't censor them all. Besides if you plan your childs medical care based on a daytime talk show, you have bigger problems.
    Absolutely correct!!
This discussion has been closed.