Running 13 min mile...is it worth it to do a race?

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I run really slowly. I am about 13 minutes mile and I would like to do a few 5k and half marathon. All that is great and dandy but is it worth it? I mean it I will be the last one to cross the finish line. I have feedback from when I was in school and always picked last in the team. Or when I tried to play badminton and people were laughing at me!!! Should I just wait until I am faster?

Running is one of those things where it doesn't matter. It's you vs. what you think you can do, and that's really about it. It's only a race for the people trying to place - the others are a mix of duffers, first timers, friends/groups, etc. I did my first triathlon in June and was pretty sure I was going to finish last, but I still did it. Ended up doing way better than I expected, and am training for three more. Don't sell yourself short.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    DO IT!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am right there too. It takes me 13-14 minutes to run a mile. That being said... i HATE to run. loathe it entirely. But... i have done a handful of 5k's. and while i'm in the last quarter of the group to finish the run, there's always a small number that likes to walk it, and you'll beat them to the finish line. I do the 5k's to try and make myself better at them.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Do the 5k at least. That will put you at about 39:00. Not to shabby, I was at a 5k last weekend and people were coming in at 45:00 and 50:00.

Just pace yourself for the first mile. Its so easy to get swept up in the crowd. Stay near the back (since its your first one).

You will be surprised at mile 3 how the adrenaline rush kicks in and it will hopefully carry you across the finish. Go for a big finish, so you want a little left in the tank to make it across..
  • ganbaranba
    ganbaranba Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do it for you! I did my first 5k this weekend and I walked/jogged- my time was a little under an hour AND I was not the last to finish...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread revival, Batman, the original question was asked back in 2011!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it.....go for it and have fun!
  • mellorunner
    Options
    I would say wait until you're in shape first, but I'm more than certain that I'm in the minority opinion on a forum like this.

My reasoning is this. Lets say you want to run a 5k, that's your goal. Great! Here is the thing, you don't have to drop $10+ on a race registration to run 5k. You can just kinda go outside and...run 5k. Or 10k. Or a half marathon. Or even a marathon. Heck, if your goal is to finish a 100 miler, you can just do that on your own, you don't need the race atmosphere. I'm of the mentality that the point of doing a race is to try to compete, not just to finish.
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    13 isn't slow really... unless your a high school track star. A 13 minute mile is walking for 8-9 minutes at 3.5 mph (brisk walking) and the rest between 4-6 mph. When I first started working out when I was 300+ lbs was 17-19 minutes a mile and I was exhausted. If I try hard enough I can get down to a 9 minute mile now. But thats because I run 1-3 miles per day and have been doing it for 2 months now with very little break.

I'm actually pretty quick now. Not that many people 250 lbs (not an athlete) can do that. I just like to run.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The more experience you have running, the faster you will be able to run. In the mean time just enjoy the experience. Run to complete, not to win. Don't miss out on a fun experience just because you won't finish first!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it! Having a race to train for puts a little more meaning behind our regular running, helps us push a little more. I think having a goal race that I've registered for on my calendar is a great motivator.

About speed, when I first started running I was at 12:30 - 13 mins per mile. The first time I ran a 5k, my time was 38:20. 4 months later I ran one in 29:52 pushing a jogging stroller. Now my 5k is down to 9 mins per mile a year later. My half marathon time is 10:03 per mile. Training for my first half (10:52 per mile) is what helped me improve my 5k time so much.

Most of us aren't going to win a race. Maybe if I'm still running in my 80s, I'll start placing in my age group. But winning a race isn't the point. It's more about taking my solitary activity and making it more social, beating my own times, tracking my progress, puttingmeaning behind my training runs other than just Iimproved physical fitness, and races are the only occasions that I actually push myself to see how much I'm capable of. All worthwhile things in my opinion!

Good luck! Go race!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would say wait until you're in shape first, but I'm more than certain that I'm in the minority opinion on a forum like this.

My reasoning is this. Lets say you want to run a 5k, that's your goal. Great! Here is the thing, you don't have to drop $10+ on a race registration to run 5k. You can just kinda go outside and...run 5k. Or 10k. Or a half marathon. Or even a marathon. Heck, if your goal is to finish a 100 miler, you can just do that on your own, you don't need the race atmosphere. I'm of the mentality that the point of doing a race is to try to compete, not just to finish.

i disagree, but i know you saw this coming. I think for your first race, it's totally normal to have a goal of finishing. then you have a time to beat after that. your next race and those after it will become more geared towards beating your previous time. It's not only beneficial for those looking to compete. I applaud even those who walk the course. :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

From the triathlete's rules, but applicable here:

#8 If you’ve raced the distance, it counts. If you’ve trained the distance, it doesn’t. Nailing a training day is one thing, nailing a racing day is quite another. Please don’t confuse the two. Ironman/marathon/etc. only counts if you are in there mixing it up. I’m the heavyweight champion of the world if we don’t have to actually compete.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

#8 If you’ve raced the distance, it counts. If you’ve trained the distance, it doesn’t. Nailing a training day is one thing, nailing a racing day is quite another. Please don’t confuse the two. Ironman/marathon/etc. only counts if you are in there mixing it up. I’m the heavyweight champion of the world if we don’t have to actually compete.
    [/quote]

^^^^^^
    YES!!! BUMP BUMP BUMP!
  • mellorunner
    Options

The idea (in my book) isn't "the distance". Who honestly cares if you finish 5k, 10k, a marathon, a double ironman. I'm terribly out of shape right now, but if I had to (life or death situation) I could find a marathon right now and complete the distance. It would be a walk/jog combo and probably screw up my pelvis even more, but it would be completed.

Would I take pride in that? No, not really.

Also I would argue that the whole finishing crowd isn't ever really in there "mixing it up". It isn't a race for most. It's a time trial.

@Brittaney1081 - Yea, I expected it. I've got more of a Letsrun.com mentality, opposed to a RunnersWorld train of thought.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it. I've placed in races anywhere from top 3 in my age group to bottom 4 overall. Runners are a great bunch, 13 minute mile or not you should feel welcomed there.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, go run and have fun. First, you probably won't be the last one across the finish line, and even if you are - so what, you still beat all the people who sat on their couch and did nothing. Second, it's fun, who cares? Third, it will help you get faster.

And remember, those of us at the back are having more fun, and we get a much better value for our money, those fast guys up front are paying a lot more per minute
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you are the last to cross the finish line, but I doubt you will at that pace. The couple 5K races I have done, there are people who just decide to walk it from the start and just have fun with it :) Also, the first mile of my first 5K was a record breaker for me at the time because my adrenaline was so high I pushed even harder.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Don't wait, go run and have fun. First, you probably won't be the last one across the finish line, and even if you are - so what, you still beat all the people who sat on their couch and did nothing. Second, it's fun, who cares? Third, it will help you get faster.

And remember, those of us at the back are having more fun, and we get a much better value for our money, those fast guys up front are paying a lot more per minute

1.) No, if you finish last you didn't "beat the people who sat on their couch". I can go down to a soccer field right now with 10 buddies and we can kick the ball in the goal. That doesn't mean we beat the Brazilian national team just because they didn't show up.

2.) Different people define value differently. Regarding the people in the back having more fun...I have plenty of fun (and I know many others like me) by showing up to a race in order to...race. Some people do get pleasure out of redlining and trying to crush as many competitors as they can. I'm not paying to enter a race so I can spend a lot of time there. I'm not paying "per minute". If I was I would start taking a nap the minute they fired the gun!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Unless you are en elite runner, marathons and such are for fun. Besides with several thousand people usually doing the same event, it's doubtful you come in last.