rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know I say this about 300 times a day, but

Kitchen scale.

This
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The type of watermelon makes a difference too. Yellow meated have more sugar.

But still, i love watrrmelon and i couldnt eat 1/4 of one if i tried. Also-350 calories? Thats a snack for me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Kitchen scale.

^I concur with the aforementioned recommendation.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat entire watermelons. It's one of the most cleansing foods there is.

Such a shame people are afraid of fruit calories when they are consuming thousands of calories a day. Whatever else you're eating is not going to be healthier than the fruit.

I don't think some people understand that you'll end up peering a million times and watermelon helps burn belly fat. Its funny seeing people complain about fruit calories /sugars.

Exactly this. I made a watermelon cake for my birthday this year, instead of a chocolate one. It used a full watermelon and a tub of fat free cool whip, covered in random berries.

I ate SO much of it, and I still lost weight for the week. But I went to the bathroom a lot :)
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i have watermelon left in the fridge at home so i'm going to cut it as i did for today (biiig ol' wedge) and then slice out the melon (i dont eat the rind) and see exactly what im dealing with.

and i will NEVER take "healthy" foods for granted again!!

i'm going to start logging daily like i used to. i've lost a LOT of weight and this was a rookie mistake all round!! lol xxx
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well I must of had a super juicy watermelon because I do use a scale and I couldn't believe how many calories were in one cup (weighed out in grams) of diced watermelon. So many that I haven't purchased it again this summer because it's not worth the calories IMO. I always thought that it was a lower calorie fruit because it's mostly water. But when I eat it I eat a lot of it.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    Well I must of had a super juicy watermelon because I do use a scale and I couldn't believe how many calories were in one cup (weighed out in grams) of diced watermelon. So many that I haven't purchased it again this summer because it's not worth the calories IMO. I always thought that it was a lower calorie fruit because it's mostly water. But when I eat it I eat a lot of it.

Thank you. Now i dont feel like so much of a retard.. :)
    i'll weigh it out tonight but i still think i'll avoid it in future!!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Going to get my watermelon out of the fridge now....
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Kitchen scale.

Agreed. Changed my whole perspective.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Health Benefits of Watermelon
    Watermelon is not only delicious, but extremely healthy, as well.

In fact, most melons are rich in potassium, a nutrient that may help control blood pressure, regulate heart beat, and possibly prevent strokes. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines state that a potassium-rich diet helps keep salt from raising blood pressure and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and possibly age-related bone loss. The guidelines encourage adults to consume 4,700 milligrams per day (while keeping sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams per day, which is one teaspoon of salt).
    WATERMELON
    Watermelon has lycopene, which can
    help reduce the risk of several cancers.
    Melons are also abundant in vitamin C, one arm of the now-famous disease-fighting antioxidant trio. Another arm that's well represented is beta-carotene.

Researchers believe that beta-carotene and vitamin C are capable of preventing heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions. No matter which way you cut them, when it comes to nutrition, melons are number one.

Watermelon is a valuable source of lycopene, one of the carotenoids that have actually been studied in humans. Research indicates that lycopene is helpful in reducing the risk of prostate, breast, and endometrial cancers, as well as lung and colon cancer.

Whether you choose watermelons for their health benefits or simply for their good flavor, they can be an excellent snack, summer dish -- or gardening project.

Nutritional Values of Watermelon
    Serving Size: 1 cup
    Calories 46
    Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 g
    Carbohydrate 11 g
    Protein 1 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sodium 2 mg
    Vitamin A 865 IU
    Niacin <1 mg
    Pantothenic Acid <1 mg
    Thiamin
    <1 mg
    Vitamin B6 <1 mg
    Vitamin C 12 mg
    Calcium 11 mg
    Magnesium 15 mg
    Potassium 170 mg
    Carotenoids 7,481 micrograms
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

absolutely no need to avoid fruit. none.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options

absolutely no need to avoid fruit. none.

I do need to accept what a few people have said on here that heathy doesn't have to mean low calorie... i'm just so eager to get closer to my goals that i'm trying anything!! lol
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I munch quite regularly on Marks and Spencers melon medley, which is a lot of melon (all different types too so some are higher in cals than watermelon) and that's just over 100 calories. If you've eaten 3 times that, that's a LOT of effing melon.

Btw, not all 'super healthy foods' are low cal. Try eating some peanut butter or an avocado. :laugh:
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    yeah... i dont think i had as much melon as i thought...i was full... but not stuffed... perhaps i was being generous on my meausrements lol.

i'll weigh it out tonight and check the true value as it would be criminal to shun such a lovely fruit...unless it is 300 -odd cals then it can sod right off!!! :D
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Let us know what you come up with. Earlier you mentioned the quarter melon was from a 12" whole melon. That's not terribly big for a watermelon. I still don't think you ate 350 cals worth.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about calories much when it comes to fresh fruits and veggies. They should be one of the pillars of any health eating plan.
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    watermelon helps burn belly fat

Really? That figures. It would be something I don't really like. LOL!
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I eat entire watermelons. It's one of the most cleansing foods there is.

Such a shame people are afraid of fruit calories when they are consuming thousands of calories a day. Whatever else you're eating is not going to be healthier than the fruit.

I agree with this 100% !!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Actually, there have been recent studies that show that certain foods do specifically burn visceral fat. I know olive and canola oils are two. I don't recall if watermelon was one, but it's possible.

Don't happen to have a source on those handy do you?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    watermelon helps burn belly fat

Really? That figures. It would be something I don't really like. LOL!

NO...not really. Calorie deficit helps burn belly fat.