What kind of cardio on heavy lifting days?

Options

Replies

• nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    None.

If you insist, something low impact. Walking or low intensity on the elliptical or something.

I agree, this is what I'm going to try.
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    None--I don't do anything besides walk to the gym and home on heavy leg days.

this is exactly what i do :)
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Seriously, there's no such thing as cardio for me on leg day. I tried to be a super achiever yesterday and hopped on the Stairmaster...for 2.5 minutes until I crawled my way home. I'm surprised I didn't fall off the darn thing

But joke or not, I starve to death on lifting days if I don't do cardio!
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find swimming to be the best cardio after lifting. Pretty much zero impact and you can control how much arms/legs you want to use depending on what kind of workout you've done.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you can go for a good long run or swimming session after leg day, your leg day routine sucks.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yesterday was my leg day ... i tried to go for a run after and just collapsed on the side walk and took a nap . lol . if you do lunges and squats or box jumping in your leg day then you are already doing cardio
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Very little if any.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do on heavy lifting days is using my shaker cup.

This
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do on heavy lifting days is using my shaker cup.

^^This.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    But what about ice cream? If I dont get me some cardio in, I cant have ice cream. I dont log my lifting, so on those days I come up short. You are all just haters and dont want me to have ice cream!!

I eat ice cream, lifting day or not.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    When I do my heavy lifting days and check my HR right afterwards I see that I have been in the 130 + range all the way through. When I am lifting hard there is no need for extra cardio.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first, in my opinion, abs don't require a dedicated day. do a 3-4 sets of isolated ab work at the end of every lifting session, and that is perfect, imo.

so to answer your question: whatever cardio you like. but be smart. if i squatted in the morning, it means my quads are probably not that great for a run... but my ham strings are nice and ready for a bike ride in the afternoon. if i dead lifted in the morning, that means my quads are good to go for a run. or i go for a swim, which is upper body. upper body lifting morning? any type of cardio in the afternoon.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    Leg days - none if I can help it. I am usually hobbling out of the gym on those days. lol

For other days pretty much the same cut in half. Weight training days only 2 miles uphill (15 incline @ 3.8-4 mph) on the treadmill. Just cardio days I try to go for a minimum of an hour so however far that gets me (normally about 4 miles) going uphill or I try to run a little ( I am in the process of teaching myself to run).
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Generally, I walk or jog to and from the Gym. Depending on how much of a 'jello leg' I have going on determines that. It's only a 5-10 minute trip each way anyways.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies. Just to be clear like I already stated, but obviously not looking to do some intense cardio workout after leg day. Just something quick to help kind of relax, stretch & finish off my workout. So it will be something like walking on the treadmill for 15-20 mins at a pace of no more than 7.0 or maybe 20 mins on the elliptical with no resistance. Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    WUT ABOUT INTIMATE TIME GUYZ ?!?!?! LOLZ !!! WONDER HOW MANY CALZ I WUD BURN ?!?!?! LOLZ !!!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    WUT ABOUT INTIMATE TIME GUYZ ?!?!?! LOLZ !!! WONDER HOW MANY CALZ I WUD BURN ?!?!?! LOLZ !!!

Lol ok
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'd do 20-30 min of HIIT training 2-3x/week EXCEPT on leg day where they should be so tired by the end of your workout you should only be able to crawl out of the gym :)
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Lol ok
    LOLZ !!! YEZ I MEANT S - E - X !!! LOLZ !!!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    On my leg days I do no cardio. My other lifting days I do 15-20 of cardio after lifting. Sometimes I will do 10 min of HIIT or 10 of jumping rope.