OMG Watermelon Calories!

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Jump off the "scary foods" train. You'll see they grow out of the ground like any other food and are NOT magic and NOT the devil. The end."
    [/quote]

I love this. I will never punch that ticket again. There are no magic or demonic foods.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I eat entire watermelons. It's one of the most cleansing foods there is.

Such a shame people are afraid of fruit calories when they are consuming thousands of calories a day. Whatever else you're eating is not going to be healthier than the fruit.

I don't think some people understand that you'll end up peering a million times and watermelon helps burn belly fat. Its funny seeing people complain about fruit calories /sugars.

Watermelon nor anything else "helps burn belly fat" as opposed to fat on other parts of your body. Sorry but that's just BS -

Exactly. The water content may help rid the body of excess fluids and salt retention though, which could effectively cut down on any bloating in the stomach. But burning fat on its own? Nope.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. now I'm gonna have to cut up some watermelon for lunch.

Watermelon is so last year. I'm having an orange honeydew today. It actually is kind of magical.

A cantaloupe got married with a honeydew and they had a baby. Magical and romantic, Yum!

Cantaloupe-Galia-Orange-Honeydew-Melon-cropped1-e1342021179306.jpgmelon_orange-flesh-honeydew.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This is what I'll be doing with my passe watermelons from now on. Making young men rub their refrigerated cool heaviness on my sore back. It'll be easier to get volunteers when I'm at goal weight...I'm sure of it.

3541254250_244265ac88_z.jpg
  • happygranny13
    happygranny13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love watermellow. Living down in the southern states, they are available everywhere. I cut my mellow, scoop the goody out in cup fulls and store in fridg; when I want a snack, I get one to two pieces out and store the other away.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    *******************CRISIS AVERTED***********************

It was 380g of Watermelon. Weighed and measured the same wedge and it was 114 calories.

Watermelon - I'm sorry I doubted you... You are worth 114 calories!

MFP'ers... thank you for the swift kick up the backside. You're all right... I had been skipping from plan to plan in a bid to get off the plateau.

I forget that i have lost a massive amount of weight already but for me, it is a slow loss.

I've not used MFP in ages, but i'm back on here and raring to go and this was a good reminder: I Know not to make assumptions. I weigh and measure everything but did this one the wrong way and felt "bad" about what i'd Assumed were a lot of calories.

While i'm thrilled it was an over estimation, it was not correct - so its of no use if it's not correct, either way.

thank you everyone for your replies!

Much love,

Lindsey1985x
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    That is like 1000g of watermelon!!! How the hell can you eat so much , LOL :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Actually, there have been recent studies that show that certain foods do specifically burn visceral fat. I know olive and canola oils are two. I don't recall if watermelon was one, but it's possible.

Don't happen to have a source on those handy do you?
    Sorry, I don't. And I'm at work and not technically supposed to be playing online, so I'm not going to look. :-)

I can tell you I've read this in several reputable places, though. I don't particularly care if you believe me, but if you want to do a quick google search, you'll find what I'm talking about.

Though visceral fat and "belly fat" are not necessarily one and the same. They're just in the same area.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to imply I didn't believe you. Just meant a general source (like the publication name) so I'd know where to start. At work myself and trying not to spend too much time on the Google. I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the info.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    That is like 1000g of watermelon!!! How the hell can you eat so much , LOL :)

Challenge accepted and achieved.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Oh man, i GOTTA be trippin'. So all this time i just put in my watermelon as wedges. Since that's how i cut them up. So i decide to weigh the plate with 4 watermelon wedges. 2lbs, 13.875oz or 45.875oz. I eat it and weigh the plate with the left over rind. 1lbs, 11.625oz or 27.625oz. So i officially ate 18.25oz of watermelon. Converted to grams it's 533 and change. So when i go to list it in grams, it comes up like half of what it would be if i entered it as watermelon wedges. So all this time... smh, i could've been eating MORE watermelon. Damnit. Oh well. Lesson learned!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Oh man, i GOTTA be trippin'. So all this time i just put in my watermelon as wedges. Since that's how i cut them up. So i decide to weigh the plate with 4 watermelon wedges. 2lbs, 13.875oz or 45.875oz. I eat it and weigh the plate with the left over rind. 1lbs, 11.625oz or 27.625oz. So i officially ate 18.25oz of watermelon. Converted to grams it's 533 and change. So when i go to list it in grams, it comes up like half of what it would be if i entered it as watermelon wedges. So all this time... smh, i could've been eating MORE watermelon. Damnit. Oh well. Lesson learned!

See, this is why weighing is important. Sometimes it lets you eat MOAR food.

I always ate a handful of chips or a handful of pretzels; started weighing those suckers and low and behold I can have 3 handfuls! I have smallish hands, to be fair, but the point still stands. I'd use 2-3 pieces of lunchmeat and call that a serving; damnit I coulda been having almost twice that.

I <3 my scale.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

See, this is why weighing is important. Sometimes it lets you eat MOAR food.

I always ate a handful of chips or a handful of pretzels; started weighing those suckers and low and behold I can have 3 handfuls! I have smallish hands, to be fair, but the point still stands. I'd use 2-3 pieces of lunchmeat and call that a serving; damnit I coulda been having almost twice that.

I <3 my scale.

It's stupid of me, because i weigh my meats and anything cooked that needs measuring. Never thought about it for fruits. Didn't want to be so OCD with it. But it doesn't hurt to be more precise!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I ate 412.5g of Watermelon Monday for 124 cals. I think I can fit in watermelon just fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Actually, there have been recent studies that show that certain foods do specifically burn visceral fat. I know olive and canola oils are two. I don't recall if watermelon was one, but it's possible.

Don't happen to have a source on those handy do you?
    Sorry, I don't. And I'm at work and not technically supposed to be playing online, so I'm not going to look. :-)

I can tell you I've read this in several reputable places, though. I don't particularly care if you believe me, but if you want to do a quick google search, you'll find what I'm talking about.

Though visceral fat and "belly fat" are not necessarily one and the same. They're just in the same area.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to imply I didn't believe you. Just meant a general source (like the publication name) so I'd know where to start. At work myself and trying not to spend too much time on the Google. I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the info.
    No problem. It's tough to tell tone in text. lol A lot of times when people ask for sources on here they're challenging the idea -- which is fine and I don't mind being challenged. Part of my problem is I read a lot in different places and if something is from a reputable source, I commit it to memory and then forget where I read it. So I know it's true, but it isn't always easy to back up. lol

Anyway, the info about this is pretty prevalent and easy to find. But like I said, I don't know if watermelon is one of the foods that targets belly fat. I do know they exist, though.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yup...I'm buying a watermelon after work to cut up and take with me to hang out by the pool. Nom!!
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    Now I want Watermelon omnomnomnom
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was munching on some Watermelon for my lunch today and decided to log my calories. I used to use MFP faithfully everyday but stopped as i started Slimming World. Watermelon was a (super?)free food on SW that you could eat as much as you liked of, and I wondered what the actual calories would be.

so.. 1/4 watermelon logged in at about 320 cals.... i didn't believe what i was seeing so i googled it too... and yep... 1/4 watermelon IS that many calories!!

I've been doing 30 Day Shred the last few days too and i feel all those cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

Rant Over ... lol x
    Don't consume 7 cups of watermelon then. I cup is about 50 calories and only has about 10 g's of sugar. I'm sure someone has already pointed this out.....didn't feel like reading 6 pages, my apologies.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup or 2. Thats only about 40-90 cals. And with that much im usually stuffed. Thats a ton a melon!!
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I could probably eat my weight in watermelon. 1 cup is 42 calories (according to various places) and delicious. Measure it out more accurately, maybe you'll find you really didn't eat 7 cups of it for lunch..

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Its good for you. It wasn't a horribly tiny piece of cheesecake. Which I could also eat my weight in.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    FRUCTOSE