What exercises do you avoid? Why?

Options

Replies

• kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Anything that requires me to follow dance choreography (i.e. Body Jam, Zumba...) I just rather free style it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    "Ab" routines.

My cardio is mostly plyomectric based, along with compound lifts. I might do a handful of planks per week, but otherwise I don't see the point.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I pretty much avoid ALL EXERCISE by doctor's orders.

1 - With a degenerative foot condition to BOTH FEET called Charcot Neuropathy (The treatment if it worsens is surgery - Amputation to prevent whatever it really is from spreading) plus osteoarthritis and 8 other disabling problems in each foot
    2 - RIGHT KNEE, total knee replacement
    3 - LEFT KNEE, severe osteoarthritis
    4 - RIGHT SHOULDER, surgery and a remaining 3 disabling problems in need of further surgery plus osteoarthritis
    5 - LEFT SHOULDER. no surgery yet but 4 disabling problems in need of further surgery plus severe osteoarthritis
    6 - LEFT ELBOW - 3 prior (1 recent) surgeries but still a disability plus severe osteoarthritis
    7 - LEFT WRIST - Prior recent surgery and a disability plus severe osteoarthritis
    8 - RIGHT HAND - Prior multiple fractures plus severe osteoarthritis
    9 - NECK - Severe osteoarthritis
    10 - STOMACH - Major injuries and a disability
    11 - COPD
    12 - Asthma
    13 - Chronic, constant and severe pain

AND THIS IS ONLY A PARTIAL LIST from 12 years of US Army (Infantry) service

Even with that, 68 lbs. lost since April 3rd, 2013.

BUT you did not indicate your injuries but for the most part, yes work those exercises in at the earliest possible date but start out slowly. f you have serious concerns seek the advice of a doctor.

Good luck !

Wow. Thank you for your service to our country and great job on the weight loss. I definitely feel like a whiny baby when comparing your battle scars to my piddly little sports injuries. I've let my injuries hold me back for a long time. I was down ten pounds, it came back with friends, and now I'm back to do it again.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    any really fast up and down with the head. i get too dizzy. in my workouts, there are some of these and i just modify the movements so i'm still doing something.

(like running back and forth lounging to the floor as far down as you can, after about 3-4 i'm dizzy.... oh well, modified moves still work for me!)
    Yep. This for the same reasons, anything on a bike because they all hurt my butt (yes, I've tried the fancy squishy seats. My a** is just too big for them to not hurt), and deadlifts. I tried so hard to get into deadlifts and get my form right, but it never clicked. I also have lower back and hip problems so it was very hard for me to get into the right position without my hip getting a shooting pain and me needing to re-situate. After trying it for a couple months, I finally gave up. Plus, I prefer other lifts and running anyway.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Do body weight -->move up to barbell only --> move up in increments of 5lb

I've never done it this way, however, seeing that you are returning from an injury... this is probably the slowest transition i can think of lol.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I avoid spinning, zumba, and any other group exercise class because I hate them. I prefer to exercise solo.

I also avoid weight training because my shoulders are so screwed up - maybe in part due to lifting heavy, I don't know. I now do yoga to maintain a balance of strength and flexibility, but I used to be ripped and I'm not any more :(
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups and crunches b/c I hate them

Ellipitcal because my toes go numb
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to avoid squats and lunges because of my knees, chronic pain. I was told by a trainer that if done correctly (below parallel) it would actually strengthen the muscles around my knee. I got my form down and now it's no problem. My knee pain actually went away and I'm starting to add weight. Don't know how much is actually related to the squats and lunges or just my mind playing games on me. But it works so I'm sticking with it. Plus my tush is starting to look nice :-)
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid this exercise.

bad-exercises.jpg

I got a groan pull just by looking at that.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    lunges...they make my legs ache.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yoga!!! i hate it!! its too long and boring!! i like fast pace, fast moving workouts!!
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Zumba. I did it once and it was just silly. I don't know how people claim they burn 500-1000 calories during it. I might do it again if a friend dragged me, but I'd never go on my own.

Exactly. I honestly haven't tried, but I just can't do it, I think people look ridiculous doing it and I'm not gonna do it. I do everything else though try not to exclude anything.

I'm laughing, I love Zumba, but I would rather dance than do almost anything else. If you get me out to a dance club with friends, I dance for like 3 hours. So to me Zumba is a dance class, you are just shaking your booty :)

I have to avoid Squats, lunges, I can do them slow or not go low. I have arthritis and it aggrevates it. I also have a tilted knee cap in on one knee and the Dr said that the pressure will only make it worse and could end up with surgery. NOT going there and no replacements for me either. So I avoid. However, I do a lot replacement exercises.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    running...because it's every other sport's punishment.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    running.... I have horrible shin splints, but I love to run. kind of a dilemma for me...
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike, stationary or otherwise, just don't like how it feels on the junk...
  • missdelajay
    missdelajay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Running. Not comfortable for me.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    planks I hate them, they make me feel less than inferior so I avoid them till I have to do them.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them, but I dread them: anything involving deep knee bends. When I was really heavy, my knees pained me all the time and certain excercises really hurt! I'm down quite a bit of weight and I'm probably just paranoid of hurting myself.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid much. I stopped going to spin class because I realized I kinda hated it - boring. The bike equivalent of running on a dreadmill. I'd much rather go for a real bike ride outside.