What did they mean by this? Can't stop crying

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

1) I highly recommend counseling. Seriously. It's not a panacea, but it can be tremendously helpful.
    2) Based on your profile pic, I'd guess it's at least as likely that they were body-shaming in the other direction. i.e. "Eat some bacon!" because they thought you were too skinny.
    3) good luck
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    to the OP. I think you are taking it the wrong way, Im pretty sure they meant, what are you doing walking down he road. Why arent you in the kitchen cooking the bacon. they were being sarcastic because of the lack of bacon, or you cooking it.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maybe there was a cop nearby.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hey, I give massive props to those of us who were victims of childhood bullying and came out swinging. We're fighters. And we need to advocate for those who weren't able to cope as well as we did, NOT attack them.
  • kevindhaliwal
    kevindhaliwal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well from your profile pic i cant imagine for one minute how they could be calling you fat.

i have no idea what they are referring to on this though. its just immature men. ignore one bad comment. embrace all the positive ones :-)

AGREED!
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Boys and bacon. You know what, I strongly believe it was just a way of flirting. Your beautiful!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

So I was walking down the road this morning in shorts and a top when 2 guys yell from their van "oi love hows the bacon!" By this I can only assume they were calling me fat. I got home a few minutes ago and can't stop crying. A brief summary of my background is that I lost a lot of weight very quickly due to under eating and over-exercising. I then went travelling for 10 weeks and pretty much gained it all back which for anyone who has lost then gained weight knows, its freakin' tough!! I was feeling very low for a long time but finally decided in May to do something about it. Since then I have been losing weight sensibly. (eating well and going to the gym 5x a week for an hour and a half - 2 hours, not 7 days a week for 3-4 hours like before). The progress is slow and frustrating but I've actually started to feel a little better about myself these past couple of weeks and have started to notice improvements. Now I just feel awful again. I don't know how much I weigh as I got far too obsessed with the scales so ditched them last year, but I wear a clothes size 10 (that's UK size so a US size 6) If I had to guess I'd say I'm about 135Ibs. I KNOW I'm not a stick insect but I don't get how anyone can basically just yell at a girl "hey fatty" and not realise how it's deep that's gonna cut. Urh :(

All the girl is say is she was upset (Understandable is it can be taken as an insult! and not all of us do have think skin that life!!!) and that she didnt know what it means! Yes at the end of the day you could say who cares they are only a couple of idiot! BUT there is no need for insult she didnt bloody insult anyone! Its a fitness site for god sake! Not lets gather together and be massive arseholes site!!!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    OK, here's what happened (imho).

My husband was an *kitten* when he was younger (like high school. he's nicer now). He said he and his friends thought it was hilarious to yell things just like that to thin girls who were outside exercising. They would actually target thin girls--not heavy ones. They thought it was hilarious to "get in their heads." If I would have known him back then, I would have kicked him in the testicles. As hard as I could.

If it matters, my husband is now 295 lbs. himself. Ahhh, karma, right?! LOL. Seriously, though. You're thin. They were probably just trying to make you feel bad. You're clearly not overweight.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options

All the girl is say is she was upset (Understandable is it can be taken as an insult! and not all of us do have think skin that life!!!) and that she didnt know what it means! Yes at the end of the day you could say who cares they are only a couple of idiot! BUT there is no need for insult she didnt bloody insult anyone! Its a fitness site for god sake! Not lets gather together and be massive arseholes site!!!
    No one is an arsehole, the guys did not call her fat. they were just reminding her of her place in the kitchen.,,cooking bacon for the football game on the tele...not on the road ..

HAHAHAHAHAH Funny! Nice to know the bloke in the van turned up as I was talking about the arsehole on HERE!!!!
  • LaurieLoz
    LaurieLoz Posts: 9
    Options
    I have to say what's really upsetting me about this is the fact that I have two young daughters aged 18 and 22. This girl is 21 years old. If one of my girls came home crying because if a comment some idiot had made (whether she took it the wrong way or not) I'd be horrified and even more distraught to think she may have logged onto a site like this to receive some of these horrible comments. The young lady has CLEARLY stated that she struggles with he esteem issues and also clearly explained why she made two posts. Yes it may look "attention seeking" but clearly she was in need of instant comfort and needed that support. I was bullied a lot when I was young and if back then I knew I could log onto a website and get some positive feedback like hell would I have. Lay off guys.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Look, can we all just stop talking about bacon? I already had breakfast and I have to wait a few more hours till I can eat lunch. :angry:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would have been like... "Bacon? Where? It's mine!!!! MINE!!!"

But when you're over weight it's easy to fall back to being the funny chick to advert the sadness you're feeling now OP.

It seems you recognize that you have self image issues but know- You look down right pretty to me and I'm a know it all...on the internet so everything I say is right...and I say you're gorgeous.
  • hadiyajade
    hadiyajade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I assume they were trying to flirt with you, but don't have the confidence required to do it correctly.

You are so correct.... Boy's in men's Bodies
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think they were just saying they loves your back side:)
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I would have been like... "Bacon? Where? It's mine!!!! MINE!!!"

But when you're over weight it's easy to fall back to being the funny chick to advert the sadness you're feeling now OP.

It seems you recognize that you have self image issues but know- You look down right pretty to me and I'm a know it all...on the internet so everything I say is right...and I say you're gorgeous.

You're a sweetheart.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    They most likely said "how's it shakin" IMO....because there is no way you are fat in any way at all. But don't give so much credit to stupid people, regardless of what they may or may not have said. They are not worth your tears.

HAHA THIS. Who calls girls bacon?
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    She's 21. Give her a break. It bothered her by someone shouting to her out of their vehicle.

Maybe when the guys in the van mature they will figure out that shouting from the van is something that doesn't show much class.

Not everyone reacts to the same to each situation. It's great that some can just let it roll off their backs! Just because you can, doesn't mean everyone does.
  • DeeCathy
    DeeCathy Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't cry, dear. They were flirting, albeit in a rude manner. Don't give them another thought!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    When I was walking to a hotel from a baseball game in Pittsburgh a group of guys were stuck in traffic and yelled out "That's a hugggge b!tch."

I was walking a little behind but my whole family was there and heard it. I tried so hard to keep my chin up and the tears away. I think I was more embarrassed than anything. When I got back to the hotel room I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for a really long time.

That was the first time I had been yelled at like that and it broke my heart. My cousin told me that he must have insecurities in his own life, which may be true, but it didn't hurt any less. I think he was just trying to get a laugh with his friends at my expense.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When I was walking to a hotel from a baseball game in Pittsburgh a group of guys were stuck in traffic and yelled out "That's a hugggge b!tch."

I was walking a little behind but my whole family was there and heard it. I tried so hard to keep my chin up and the tears away. I think I was more embarrassed than anything. When I got back to the hotel room I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for a really long time.

That was the first time I had been yelled at like that and it broke my heart. My cousin told me that he must have insecurities in his own life, which may be true, but it didn't hurt any less. I think he was just trying to get a laugh with his friends at my expense.

*hugs* well, glad you didn't let them hold you back from your success :). Hi5!!!