Why such negativity ?

Options
So I couldn't help but stumble across a recent post from a young lady who was upset over what two men shouted at her. I was shocked and upset to see how many nasty and hurtful comments she reviewed. I have to say what's really upsetting me about this is the fact that I have two young daughters aged 18 and 22. This girl is 21 years old. If one of my girls came home crying because if a comment some idiot had made (whether she took it the wrong way or not) I'd be horrified and even more distraught to think she may have logged onto a site like this to receive some of these horrible comments. The young lady has CLEARLY stated that she struggles with he esteem issues and also clearly explained why she made two posts. Yes it may look "attention seeking" but clearly she was in need of instant comfort and needed that support. I was bullied a lot when I was young and if back then I knew I could log onto a website and get some positive feedback like hell would I have.

My point is, surely we all created our accounts for the same reasons: to seek advice, offer and receive support, ask for motivation as well as motivating others etc etc. I think "cyber bullying" is a bit of a strong term and thrown about too freely but I do get the impression that a lot of people like to sit behind their keyboard making negative comments and don't stop to think of the consequences.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This thread is SURE to end well...

And, no, not everyone signs up for the same reasons.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    They are adults? Should they go home and cry to their parents at 19 or 21 years old that someone was mean to them. No wonder they can't handle the real world and people in it...

tumblr_mk8nsnSc121qzmhlxo8_250.gif
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Did you see how many guys commented about how beautiful she was? What a surprise that was!

Did you see the second thread she made with the altered title? Instead of the nonsense she initially claimed was shouted, the new title CLEARLY stated she was called fat. Which it turns out is untrue.

I think, and I believe strongly that this 'young lady' was seeking attention and fishing for compliments.

I don't care how CLEARLY she stated anything. I can CLEARLY state that I'm 8 feet tall and live on the moon, but it doesn't stop me being an attention seeking idiot.

You have your opinion, I have mine......I hope that you will learn as you get used to the site, not to believe everything you read, and that threads like this are never a good idea. They only go one way.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

I try to read posts like this and remember that the anonymity of the internet is not a good thing. I find myself typing things I'd never say to a person's face and I'd like to train myself to get past that instant-reaction/response
  • LaurieLoz
    LaurieLoz Posts: 9
    Options
    They are adults? Should they go home and cry to their parents at 19 or 21 years old that someone was mean to them. No wonder they can't handle the real world and people in it...

watch?v=a6tKJvWWDP4

Are you serious? As an adult you've never just had to have a good cry to your mum or dad about something? All this does is make me feel a little sorry for you
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm warning you now that this thread is going to end up just like the other one did...probably worse... :/

While I agree with you and I felt sorry for the girl in the other thread...I'm only allowed to get in one internet argument per day.

So with that being said:

tumblr_lta3b1KmAv1qii6tmo1_500.gif
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I can see this go in a negative direction quickly. Before it does, I'll offer my .02. I think some people are so frustrated by the shortcomings in their own lives that all they can do is mock others. I didn't see the other thread, so I can't comment specifically about what happened. So, I have no idea if the young lady was catcalled because she looks good, or was mocked because of her shape. Either way - the people doing that are just losers.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: Why such negativity...

Welcome to the internet.

To be honest, I was more surprised people were positive in their responses to what was said.
  • LaurieLoz
    LaurieLoz Posts: 9
    Options
    Did you see how many guys commented about how beautiful she was? What a surprise that was!

Did you see the second thread she made with the altered title? Instead of the nonsense she initially claimed was shouted, the new title CLEARLY stated she was called fat. Which it turns out is untrue.

I think, and I believe strongly that this 'young lady' was seeking attention and fishing for compliments.

I don't care how CLEARLY she stated anything. I can CLEARLY state that I'm 8 feet tall and live on the moon, but it doesn't stop me being an attention seeking idiot.

You have your opinion, I have mine......I hope that you will learn as you get used to the site, not to believe everything you read, and that threads like this are never a good idea. They only go one way.

Yes the title was changed. Everything else was exactly the same. I just found it utterly heart breaking reading those comments as a mum of two girls around her age. I can only assume you do not have any daughters.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I try to read posts like this and remember that the anonymity of the internet is not a good thing. I find myself typing things I'd never say to a person's face and I'd like to train myself to get past that instant-reaction/response

I'm not exactly sure what you're implying, but I would have no problem saying what I said to anyone's face. But that's just me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Both of these.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Most of my threads hardly get any responses so I'm safe!!
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    the negativity and closed mindedness on these forums shocked me as well. it's like a mob mentality sometimes. just snowballs out of control.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Both of these.

yep
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I can see this go in a negative direction quickly. Before it does, I'll offer my .02. I think some people are so frustrated by the shortcomings in their own lives that all they can do is mock others. I didn't see the other thread, so I can't comment specifically about what happened. So, I have no idea if the young lady was catcalled because she looks good, or was mocked because of her shape. Either way - the people doing that are just losers.

You didn't read either of the other threads?...Bye then!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

It's interesting that many people say this, but very few ever say, "I find myself not bothered by things said to me that would have bothered me if said to my face."
  • AndiNorwich
    Options
    It's sad that a lot of society nowadays feel it's within their right to make horrible comments/remarks.I don't know what type of kick they get out of hurting people, and to think that these people are or will be breeding a new class of society. I shiver at the thought of how THEY will be. This madness has got to stop.

BUT

The gal (as you have mentioned), needs to understand that. She needs to understand that there ARE people out there that will be horrible and nasty towards her, about her, just becaue they can. Just because they think it's fun or they gain some type of power over the her or those reading it. SHE gives them the power or DENIES that power over her and her feelings. SHE needs to rethink how she posts, as to not leave herself open for such comments, but understand that she could even put out "It's such a beautiful day" and still get the snide remarks.

Welcome to 2013. It's not right, but it is what it is and until we start pointing it out as a group, against these people, it will never stop...never stop here, never stop in society. Only when we say "enough" will it stop.

I would suggest that she (as well as your daughter) pick up a few self-help books on self-esteem and overcoming your own emotional obstacles. It has done me wonders. I couldn't afford a shrink so I empowered myself to be better. I learned the techniques and here I am today. I'm not perfect or "healed" but you bet yer cupcake that I'm on a better level within myself than before.

Good luck to that gal (and to your daughter) in finding the center within and empowerment from then on.
    Cheers
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

My point is, surely we all created our accounts for the same reasons: to seek advice, offer and receive support, ask for motivation as well as motivating others etc etc. I think "cyber bullying" is a bit of a strong term and thrown about too freely but I do get the impression that a lot of people like to sit behind their keyboard making negative comments and don't stop to think of the consequences.

I knew that thread was going to produce another one of these threads, but the OP of that thread at least showed the maturity to refrain from this. PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN!!!!! AREN'T WE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASON????

No. We're not all here for the same reason.

Some people prefer to be blunt with how they communicate.

Even supportive comments get interpreted as "mean" by some people with thin skin.

Some people thought she came off as attention seeking. Other's didn't.

"Bullying" has a specific definition and none of the comments fit that.

This thread will not end well.
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    **** this gif **** -

If you are seriously offended by something you read on the internet, unplug and leave.. thank you
  • SithLordJane
    Options
    You know what this thread needs?

tumblr_mdumaxh9SG1r70t47o1_500.gif