Replies

• Sherrielsb
    Sherrielsb Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    love the spinach ice cube idea
    glad i saw this thread, I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    I get really stuck on making them citrus flavored. I add greens with water, ginger, some sweet fruit and fresh lime juice and either fresh grapefruit juice or fresh orange juice and it always turns out really bitter and takes like i'm drinking grapefruit juice. I dont know if thats a good or bad thing, but i like them that way.
    I used to add bananas and pineapple nectar but they were so high in sugar. Carrots too. So I've broken it down to the minimum. But its still good just very bitter sometimes.
    I make some variation of this every morning depending on what I have in the fridge. Oh and I try to remember tumeric and flaxseed every morning too. I add ice for texture sometimes too.

Can anyone confirm for me that this is a reasonable recipe to have every morning? I don't think theres anything wrong with it but should i put something else in? Or take something out that's not the best for me?
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    Okay I made this a long time ago and just found where I wrote it down. This was one of my first smoothie experiments. I took it to work with me because I was in a rush. I have a vegan friend at work and I had her try it and to my surprise she really liked it. We even do in house fundraisers for a charity at our job and she suggested I make a big batch and sell it for donations. To say the least I was thoroughly impressed with myself. Lol.

1 tsp of whipping cream (not whipped cream!)
    1 tsp raw ginger root
    1/4 piece of whole cantaloupe
    Handful of spinach
    Ground tumeric
    Ground flaxseed
    1/2 cup pineapple nectar
    Ice
    Cinnamon according to taste.

It was creamy and delicious. Very desert like but still refreshing. I think mint would be good with it too maybe instead of the cinnamon but thats up to you if you'd like to try or don't like cinnamon. But thats one of my successful creations! :D
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    If you have a busy family who also love fruit but tend to eat all of it before you can use it on your smoothie, do like ive been doing. Bag some and freeze it. Leave some for them and freeze the rest for you shakes. That way they won't want to eat your stuff, they have had some already, and when you make your smoothie you may not have to add ice cubes to make it cold because sometimes it gets too watered down to enjoy. I've started freezing bananas in the skin (it just takes a minute or so to get it to defrost enough to peel and cut ends), strawberries. vegetables, really anything! The spinach ice cubes from the comment earlier are very smart, I'm sure you could also do that with all kinds of things and in all different juices. You could pre juice limes, grapefruit, oranges, and whatever fruit you use and freeze it. This way your fruit doesn't go bad and saves room in your fridge for stuff that doesn't need to be frozen. I think freezing fresh items is a great idea and I'm going to start doing it on a weekly basis! :D
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for lower carb on the fruits, so my go to is
    2 cups spinach
    4-5 watermelon or cantaloupe chunks
    5 strawberries
    1T Chia
    1T Flax seed
    1 c vanilla unsweetened almond milk

I blend it all in my handy dandy Nutribullet, and then add some crushed ice and blend some more.

Anybody have one with more veggies and less fruit? I am wanting to try ketogenic for a couple of weeks to see if it will help with fibro/migraines
  • syrr
    syrr Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    bump
  • a3rdna
    a3rdna Posts: 3
    Options
    My absolute favorite:

1 C. dark sweet cherries
    1/2 ripe frozen banana
    1 C vanilla almond milk
    1-2 cups fresh spinach
    1 T cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    a few drops of stevia extract to sweeten (optional)

I could drink this everyday. It tastes like a dark chocolate covered cherry!
    I've used strawberries instead of cherries too and it was just as good.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Okay, didn't remember to quote, but it was for the all veggie one above :smile:

This sounds perfect for me. Just ordered powdered egg whites, so I COULD make it breakfast if I added those, and still be low carb. THANK YOU!
  • werde_fit
    werde_fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just saw this thread I cannot resist to add our creation, because it is named green smoothie :-)
    I have started with some common herbs like parsley, dandelion, etc. , a banana, rice milk, and cinnamon :-)

After a while I'm now taking the herbs founding the so called Frankfurter Sauce:
    Borage
    Chervil
    Cress
    Parsley
    Burnet
    Sorrel
    Chive

However, still made with Banana, rice milk, and cinnamon.

With best regards
    Dirk
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    I love my daily green smoothie! <3 It gets me so energized for a workout and the rest f the day!! :D
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • javadazed
    javadazed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothie - 179 calories

2 cups water
    2 large cups spinach
    1 cut up zucchini
    2 scoops Visalus (protein powder)
    1/2 cup strawberries (any fruit)
    Ice to taste

Blend all together in blender. You can substitute fruits and even add more vegetables
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The first recipe I tried was really good, and tasted better than a regular smoothie.

http://www.rawblend.com.au/weight-loss-green-smoothie-recipe.html

Another one is Kimberley Snyder's Glowing Green Smoothie. I tried that too, but I didn't ike it.

Make sure you wash your blender immeadiately after you blend, or you'll be stuck with a load of washing up!
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This will probably make some of you gag, but this is my green drink. 1 cup spring salad mix, 1 cup spinach or kale, 1 kiwi diced skin on, 1/2 cup whole milk, and fill with water to your liking. I blend it all up for a minute and then I down it. Really don't taste anything while chugging, but the after taste and aroma is that of sour grass lol. I used to drink this without the kiwi and milk until I read something about how vitamins and minerals are absorbed and you need some of this in combo with that to maximize absorption and utilization. Sorry I don't remember the specifics.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I love using frozen peaches and raspberries! Yum! Start with a cup of kale add flavored or plain Greek yogurt add fruit also I like to add flax seeds maybe a cup of water depending on the consistency u might like...
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    These sounds amazing
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Blended Green Apple Martini

Ingredients
    1 gl cinnamon (sugar for rimming)
    5 tbsps vodka
    5 tbsps apple schnapps
    5 tbsps lemonade
    5 tbsps 7-up (soda such as 7 up or sprite)

240 cal 280mg potassium 10 mg sodium 28gm fiber

blended in a vitamix :bigsmile:

No that's what I'm talking about. lol
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep this filed! So excited, finally bought myself a blender!
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:

1 cup of spinach
    handful of kale leaves
    1/2 green apple
    lime juice
    cucumber slices
    1 stalk of celery

THIS IS SO DELICIOUS!!!! add some ice and it is a great slushie.
  • siuan87
    siuan87 Posts: 10
    Options
    So many good-looking recipes! I hope to make green smoothies my standard breakfast. :)

(New and looking for friends, add me if you like)