Student brought me an iced mocha...

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Keep it in fridge at work and offer to coworker? It was a sweet gesture from your student.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.

:heart:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Drink it, do some extra cardio to offset it, or eat less throughout the day, or just make it up over the next few days.

Not a big deal.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.

:heart:

^^^^^This

I'd be appreciate, drink it, and give the kid an A. LOL :bigsmile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    You need to be honest. Either drink it and say you really appreciate the jesture but next time no food, or say you can't now. Keeping your diet a secret is not going to help you. It's best to get it out in the open. People will usually try and support you if they know you are dieting. They can help you keep on track and stay accountable.

We're talking about little kids here, right?

They don't need to know about dieting. And they don't need a fear of food put in their heads.

Just say thank you, maybe take a few sips, say you're saving the rest for later and move on. That is enough to keep everyone happy.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Thank the child for the gift and keep it moving. Save it . throw it away or give it to someone else when the child is gone.

Not drinking the Coffee is not going to be a traumatizing event for the child, is a drink not a drawing or something with deep sentimental value.

There is no need for you to drink something you don't want to , is not a big deal.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

Wait. OP we are always complaining about how kids are turning out. Isn't it beyond sweet that a child thought to do this? I'd fake drinking it through the straw and if fake turned into real in the form of OH shoot, this is good uh, now it's all gone, I'd just log it and rearrange my cals for the rest of the day and brag to everyone I see that day...."Hey one of my students brought me a coffee today...How cute is that?"

Kids are too young to have things thrown back in their face. IT shoud be accepted gracefully to teach the child sharing, kindness, and generosity. His future and character are more important than your short lived food or food exclusion issues. Unless you're a diabetic. In which case accepting it and pretending to sip might be easier since your life depends on it. Either way it's be kind to kids week so don't be mean to the kid. BTW if you didn't get the memo, it's be kind to kind kids week for the next 51 weeks as well.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    I've had coworkers bring me coffee, and yes it's a wonderful gesture, but I don't drink coffee. It's revolting and even the smell makes me gag. Saying "that was so nice, but I don't drink coffee" should be no different than "that was so nice, but I don't eat sugar/drink calories (or whatever.)" And then say "It was so nice of you to think of me, so let's see if we can find someone else who would enjoy this wonderful gift." Although I imagine it's probably too late now since it's been posted and commented on, but if something like that happens again...
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member

*blink*

This!!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    I've had coworkers bring me coffee, and yes it's a wonderful gesture, but I don't drink coffee. It's revolting and even the smell makes me gag. Saying "that was so nice, but I don't drink coffee" should be no different than "that was so nice, but I don't eat sugar/drink calories (or whatever.)" And then say "It was so nice of you to think of me, so let's see if we can find someone else who would enjoy this wonderful gift." Although I imagine it's probably too late now since it's been posted and commented on, but if something like that happens again...

I would agree with this if it was a co-worker but not a child/student.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

*blink*

You are a very wise person.

QFT.

Alternatively, MyChocolateDiet also posted the correct response just above this.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    I don't know the age of your students, but I will say this....

I teach Kindergarten currently.
    I have taught 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th as well in the past.

In *MY EXPERIENCE* the "little" kids in K-2 don't really understand what it means to be on a "diet." So explaining to young students isn't going to stop future goodies. Now, when I taught 4th and 5th graders, they were supportive. They would bring in healthy treats or nothing at all. Young kids don't really grasp HOW a person loses weight or even what constitutes a healthy vs an unhealthy snack. They just want to make their teacher happy and hey, cupcakes make THEM happy so they figure it should make their teacher happy, too. If you know anything about psychology, then you will understand this line of thinking as young children are very egotistical... (I once bought my mom nail polish when I was about 8 years old as a Mother's Day gift. My mom had NEVER painted her nails a day in her adult life. My dad asked why I wanted to get her polish and I said it was because I liked it and thought it was pretty. It was all about me. If I like it, surely she will, right? Just one example).

I agree with those who say that KINDNESS is a rarity these days. Accept it with graciousness and thankfulness and then decide what you'll do with it... As I posted earlier, my students *KNOW* I appreciate their goodies, even though they don't SEE me enjoying them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Accept it and be gracious. Explain that you're watching your waistline (or cutting back on caffeine or whatever), so you can't accept a gift like this every day, but you're grateful for the kind thought. Have a little, log the calories, go for an extra walk and be grateful that you have someone in your life who wants to do nice things for you.

I like this answer and will highlight it and bring it to life in a dialogue as it makes me want to cry sentimental tears, while some of the others make me want to punch the screen and say STFU.

So yeah this lady "gets it"...here's what she means.

Teacher: "Oh thank you Billy! Wow what a treat.....I am so excited I don't get to have this everyday or I'd be as big as a house <insert teacher appropriate giggle here> but today happens to be my "treat day" how did you get to be so smart Billy! Thank you so much what a gentleman!"

boy: "Your welcome missus-my-whole-world-right-now-while-I'm-young-and-separated-from-my-parents."

*accepts coffee, pretends to sip, smiles profusely sets coffee aside to make a quick thank you note for billy so he can be distracted when she takes the coffee to the sink and dumps some out.

Teacher [smacking lips]: " I love coffee!"
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I've had this happen....I drank the extremely amazing soy chai latte, blew my carbs, and on his way by I said "I would love love a green tea next time, double bag...because those make me happy too" :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member

I agree. The most important thing we can teach our children is not the joy of giving a gift and seeing it received graciously, but to show them that the thought is not the important part, but the right gift that is essential.

You've completely misconstrued what I wrote. I shouldn't need to, but I'll spell it out:

The thought IS important. But our understanding of other people's needs is important, too, and this sounds like a recurring situation.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I have the SAME ISSUE. Kids love to bring us goodies, don't they?

When I get goodies, I tell my students thank you and how much I love whatever it is (even if I really don't) and remind them that the *BEST* gift they can ever give me or any other teacher they have is a smile, a hug, and their best behavior. This also helps those who can't afford to bring gifts to feel better. Then I give them a hug and tell them I am far too full from my last meal but I will save it for later.

If they ask why I'm not taking it with me to lunch, I just say that I want to take it home and share it with my husband and/or kids because it is their FAVORITE (even if it's not really).

After dismissal, I trash it, making sure to cover it with other trash just in case someone forgot their backpack, a sweater, etc. And just in case the custodian misses that can and it's still there the next day (this doesn't happen at my new site but happened all the time at my other one as we had a terrible, lazy custodian).

The next day I tell them how delicious it was (even though I didn't really taste it). They smile and all is RIGHT in the world. :flowerforyou: Good luck!

:love: :cry:

I wish you taught at my kid's school. I hope he will have teachers like you in his future!
  • MyChocolateDiet

I agree. The most important thing we can teach our children is not the joy of giving a gift and seeing it received graciously, but to show them that the thought is not the important part, but the right gift that is essential.

You've completely misconstrued what I wrote. I shouldn't need to, but I'll spell it out:

The thought IS important. But our understanding of other people's needs is important, too, and this sounds like a recurring situation.

Q.F.T.

The OP did NOT ask for how to shut down a kid and reject the gift. She asked specifically how to ACCEPT the gift graciously and just not partake of it's contents.

Since we are "spelling things out" and all.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    I wish the OP would return to address some of the posts/comments....
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member

*blink*

You are a very wise person.

QFT.

Alternatively, MyChocolateDiet also posted the correct response just above this.

It's perfectly possible to be gracious and figure out a way to meet one's weight loss goals. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    It's perfectly possible to be gracious and figure out a way to meet one's weight loss goals. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.

It's perfectly possible to meet your weight loss goals and drink an occassional iced mocha. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.