Clean vs Processed - Bragging

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The same reason you started this post...We have nothing better to do with our time.

My boss would likely disagree, but yeah, you win best answer!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For the love...why is this thread necessary after the 36 that came before it this week??????

QFT
  • bcattoes
    Options
    For the love...why is this thread necessary after the 36 that came before it this week??????

Sorry, I didn't see any others asking this question. All I saw were just whether you should eat clean or not.
  • bcattoes
    Options

You seem a little stressed.

Have you tried eliminating added sugar from your diet?

You don't have to eliminate it, just switch to raw honey. It's clean. :wink:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Many times...makes it worse :flowerforyou:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    1228d1287291494-rams-chargers-game-aired-la-beat_dead_horse.jpg
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Many times...makes it worse :flowerforyou:

My advice would be to eat more sugar

*nods sagely*
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for somebody to give me the definition of what a "clean food" is!

It mean food close to the way it is found in nature with little to no processing by man. No man-made addatives. As little processing as possible. For example, butchering meat is processing, but it doesn't make meat not clean because it doesn't change the meat from it's natural form. It just removes other parts of the animal from the meat. Curing meat does change it and so it's not clean. The more processed, the less clean a food is. Brown rice is more clean than brown rice flour becuase the flour is more processed. An apple off a wild apple tree is more clean than a farmed apple that's been sprayed with pesticides. But that doesn't mean eating an apple from the produce dept at your store is not clean. There are gray areas and degrees of clean, but the more natural, the more clean. Man-made foods are not ever clean.

My problem with it is that there are so many definitions and the more you break it down the less sense it makes.
    Some would include freezing as "processing", cooking, grinding, dehydrating/rehydrating, multiple ingredients, packaging etc...
    Then you get to the plain idiotic "if it contains chemicals....".
    It just goes on and on.

Second big issue is the demonising of certain foods or even food groups. It's just potty and people forget how fortunate we are in the first world to have such a choice of foods and plentiful supply, something my parents didn't have.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm both lol, I eat "cleaner" so I can eat more food, but still eat un clean too because, well, some foods I just want to eat lol.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness I don't think there's actually that much showing off from either side.

If there is I think it is partly due to unconscious associations which they feel positive about and on some level help elevate social or peer status.

So, clean eaters: virtuous, ethical, disciplined
    Dirty eaters: flexible, open minded, non conformist

Etc, etc.

insightful. well said.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Which is more my point. When both of these groups usually eat both clean and processed foods, shouldn't we all just agree that clean foods are good (because there really isn't any evidence that eating natural food is unhealthy) but that in today's society few people eat that way all the time, and that it's not unhealthy to eat processed too?

This is right! Most people do both.

From what I've seen, the "clean" eaters take flexible dieting and turn it into something it's not. They chastise it by saying there is not way you can eat poptarts all the time and be healthy. The point that is being missed is that most flexible dieters eat nutritious foods 80-90% of the time. When they talk about eating poptarts, ice cream, etc., it's just for fun and not meant to be a major part or their daily intake.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    All the clean eating debates lately have made me very curious about something. Why is that some feel the desire to brag about how much preprared or processed or junk (or whatever term you like) food they eat, while others brag about eating clean?

Often, if you check the open diaries, both contain both good amounts of both clean and processed/preprepared foods. So, what is it that makes 2 different people who eat similar diets brag about and deny/not mention the different parts of their diet?

For about the 10th time this week. The real issue resides in the, generally, preachy nature of the "clean eaters". Spouting off how the processed food will give you 31290471274 dieseases, you'll die of cancer overnight, your kids hair will fall out, & your ancestors will rise from the grave due to all the processed foods.

Blatently spreading bad information and demonizing food though is completely out of place, wrong, and dangerous to the general fitness, weight loss, & health community. Otherwise I don't care dafuq anyone puts in their body.

^This. And yes - it's the preachiness of it all - that's nice that you eat clean, but hey, i lost 16 pounds by not always eating clean (actually, more unclean than clean).
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    All the clean eating debates lately have made me very curious about something. Why is that some feel the desire to brag about how much preprared or processed or junk (or whatever term you like) food they eat, while others brag about eating clean?

Often, if you check the open diaries, both contain both good amounts of both clean and processed/preprepared foods. So, what is it that makes 2 different people who eat similar diets brag about and deny/not mention the different parts of their diet?

For about the 10th time this week. The real issue resides in the, generally, preachy nature of the "clean eaters". Spouting off how the processed food will give you 31290471274 dieseases, you'll die of cancer overnight, your kids hair will fall out, & your ancestors will rise from the grave due to all the processed foods.

Blatently spreading bad information and demonizing food though is completely out of place, wrong, and dangerous to the general fitness, weight loss, & health community. Otherwise I don't care dafuq anyone puts in their body.

^ BUMP!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Which is more my point. When both of these groups usually eat both clean and processed foods, shouldn't we all just agree that clean foods are good (because there really isn't any evidence that eating natural food is unhealthy) but that in today's society few people eat that way all the time, and that it's not unhealthy to eat processed too?

This is right! Most people do both.

From what I've seen, the "clean" eaters take flexible dieting and turn it into something it's not. They chastise it by saying there is not way you can eat poptarts all the time and be healthy. The point that is being missed is that most flexible dieters eat nutritious foods 80-90% of the time. When they talk about eating poptarts, ice cream, etc., it's just for fun and not meant to be a major part or their daily intake.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Right on the money
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Both sides can be annoying.

'I don't eat any food with chemicals in it because chemicals give you cancer and gluten and dairy intolerance and my ancestors didn't eat them' *tucks into sweet potato that didn't leave South America until a few hundred years ago*

Then the opposite

'Lol isn't it funny that you only eat vegetables and healthy food, you're so deprived, I ate pizza and Mcdonalds for every meal last week and I STILL LOST WEIGHT haha!' Well done you, unfortunately if I did that I'd be a balloon.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for somebody to give me the definition of what a "clean food" is!

Food that took a bath.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Humans are inherently prone to dogmatic thinking. If we weren't able to form strong belief systems we would never have survived as a species and the only reason why weak-willed people can survive currently is because of our modern society. No hate, it doesn't make anyone a bad person. "Everyone has their vice."

There is no such thing as clean/dirty foods and adhering to a small list of foods is the best way to get too much and/or too little of what the body needs (toxicity/deficiency) ... yet at the same time real IIFYM is not about fitting in as many pop tarts as possible and should be read as "If it fits your macros, fibre, micronutrients, phytonutrients, water intake, and doesn't cause you digestive problems"
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    lol I once went veg for like a week and felt so high and mighty about it dunno why ^^
    If I was even a bit of a braggy person I think I would have been annoying to others about it ^^
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Real clean eaters become bougie and look down on non-clean eaters. It's because they think they are more disciplined and knowledgeable than others.

I think it's all about moderation. It would be very difficult to truly eat 'clean' (organic fruits and veggies, range free meat) but I consider eating frozen veggies, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, whole wheat rice and bread, chicken and fish to be clean eating. Even though technically they're still touched by chemicals, its the least amount possible. Even though people can still lose weight eating fast food and foods highly saturated in fat and sugar that stuff can't be good for you in the long run. Just because you're losing weight or skinny doesn't mean you're healthy. I still eat these things every once in a while but it is pure crap for your body.