Why such hate for running or cardio?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    People bash lifters as well, it's just that we don't cry about it.

And hello d-bag who had nothing good to say, so said something ignorant. I am really crying, its intense. I just ca- ca- ca- cant stop.

Shut the f up.

Sounds like you need to go for a run.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone bash cardio here actually... usually just a recommendation to do some weight lifting with it. *shrug*

Hell I see slews of people doing C25K and such and people are always encouraging...

I think I've seen more posts of people saying, "I don't lift because I don't want to get bulky" than I've seen bashing any kind of exercise period.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hey cardio bunnies and lunks. I think we can come together on one thing at least. That none of us like cross-fitters.

batman.jpg
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone cardio bash. I live in a very fit city and everyone has their own way of doing things to remain fit. I personally am not a runner. I never enjoyed it but always wished I could! I do Bar Method and the stairs. My BF does Cross FIt and the stairs. I have friends that run & do yoga. To each his/her own - whatever keeps you sane & healthy!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

And hello d-bag who had nothing good to say, so said something ignorant. I am really crying, its intense. I just ca- ca- ca- cant stop.

Shut the f up.

well, aren't you just a delight to be around. i better start taking up running, as I am now witness to the inner peace it brings.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's why I am always so conflicted. I love lifting, I love running AND I CrossFit. Seems no matter what the post I'm supposed to be bashing or someone is bashing something I love.

Seriously though, I don't see the running bashing. I see people who don't like to do it, which is understandable. I also see those who encourage people that straight cardio is not always the answer, which is true. I'll even give the advice that insane amounts of cardio is pointless unless you are training for something.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I have a lot of weight still to lose and I want the big calorie burns.

I also want to play rugby again. Running is best when you get to hit someone at your destination.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hey cardio bunnies and lunks. I think we can come together on one thing at least. That none of us like cross-fitters.

batman.jpg

See!!
    (I didn't see that before I posted)

:flowerforyou:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't personally care for endurance running, at all. It doesn't work as "a natural anti-depressant" for me, nor do I find it "zen-like". I think it's painful and boring. It makes me incredibly *****y and HANGRY, so I choose not to do it. I lift weights, train with kettlebells, and will occasionally jump on a rowing machine or do hill sprints here and there.

Not sure why you care how anyone feels about steady state cardio, or specifically running. The world is still full of people who apparently love running.

Do what you enjoy doing and don't worry about everyone else's preferences.
  • nikikeenan
    nikikeenan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LMAO..
  • nikikeenan
    nikikeenan Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Shut the f up.

well, aren't you just a delight to be around. i better start taking up running, as I am now witness to the inner peace it brings.

LAUGHING SOOO HARD, JUST THREW UP MY WEIGHT GAINER SHAKE (JK JK)
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I love cardio.

I hate running. I cuss the whole time. I feel great once it's over but I don't know if it's because it's finally over or if I actually feel accomplished. I promised a friend I would do a 5k with her so I'm training. it sucks!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Shut the f up.

Sounds like you need to go for a run.

HA! Seriously....
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I hate distance running because I'm not good at it. Honesty. I do love me some hill sprints though.

I hate traditional forms of cardio because they're boring (to me).

Do I think YOU should hate running or cardio? Not if you don't.

And I think a lot of people have messed up ideas about what cardio does for your body from an aesthetic standpoint. It gets really annoying hearing people talk about how running "toned up" their legs. Um, no. That's not how it works.

But other than that, my attitude is you do you, and I'll do me.

This is just about a perfect answer, I do believe.

I love strength training, way more than cardio, but I do enjoy cardio. I don't think a lot of the backlash is against cardio as much as it is against the misinformation surrounding it.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) I find cardio for the sake of cardio to be boring as sin. Any time spent running is time I spend wishing I were dead.

2)
    I agree that the people who only utilize the treadmill & elliptical are rather annoying..

WTF??

If you find sin boring, you're doing it wrong.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Shut the f up.

Well, aren't you a peach?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running with a passion..that's before I got better at it. Still tho, I keep my running or other cardio only activities on the low minutes/miles end. I usually stop at about 3. To much distance can slow fast-twitch muscle movements which in turn affects lifts. My focus is met-con type workouts and strength lifts. That's why I love CrossFit. It's endurance, strength, speed, and everything in between in one. :)
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Shut the f up.

Trolled so hard lol
  • BrittanyAnnL
    BrittanyAnnL Posts: 140
    Options
    [/quote]
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hate distance running because I'm not good at it. Honesty. I do love me some hill sprints though.

I hate traditional forms of cardio because they're boring (to me).

Do I think YOU should hate running or cardio? Not if you don't.

And I think a lot of people have messed up ideas about what cardio does for your body from an aesthetic standpoint. It gets really annoying hearing people talk about how running "toned up" their legs. Um, no. That's not how it works.

But other than that, my attitude is you do you, and I'll do me.

This is just about a perfect answer, I do believe.

I love strength training, way more than cardio, but I do enjoy cardio. I don't think a lot of the backlash is against cardio as much as it is against the misinformation surrounding it.

95.gif