What do you have your AC set at?

Options
123457»

Replies

• cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When I actually had an A/C unit that would cool as low as I wanted--I left it set for 68 while at home. When I was not home, I'd turn it up to 80. It kept my electric bill at around $50 a month for 900 square foot apartment in SC. Along with other cost savings methods like keeping every single thing unplugged while not using it.

HOWEVER, now I live in DC in an apartment with a community cooling system, and it won't cool my apartment under 75 right now. I'm so angry. :grumble:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how cold some of you keep your AC! Maybe it's just because it would cost so much to do that here?!

Really? I was thinking the opposite. I live in southern Louisiana, it is friggin hot and humid here. I can't even imagine having my thermostat above 73 and even that's too warm for me. (70 is perfect)

I was thinking the opposite too. Everyone seems to keep their A/C really high. I love COLD temps in the summer in the house! I agree...73 and I'm sweating with the humidity. I'm from the south, though. I go to my boyfriend's in MA, and he thinks the house feeling 80 is "nice" and I'm freaking soaking wet and angry.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 75°-83°
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    80deg how much are you paying on electric?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Right now it's 76 degrees in my house. Heat index over 107 today! Husband wants the AC at 80, I want 73 so we compromised. Just wondering if 73 is unreasonable. I love my AC!

What's yours at?

That can be EXPENSIVE.

We set ours around 80 durning the day when we aren't home and 77 at night.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Houston, TX

66-68 degrees (I have central air) year round

plus a big azz fan about a foot and a half away from my bed, pointing directly on it

even in the winter I have the AC on though

dem hot flashes :mad:
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Usually right around 75, but our thermostat is broken, so it's probably cooler. We leave it at the same level all day so that it doesn't ever have to work overtime to get the place cooler, plus our dog appreciates the cool air, too.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Set at blizzard !!!:laugh:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    thought this was about Atlantic City smh
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Set at colder than a witch's teet to combat the hotter than the devil's hell!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    78 or 79 if we're in the house. If our house's "brain" sees that our phones are more than ten miles away it'll turn it up to 83. When we get within five miles and are still getting closer it'll turn it back to 78.

I don't want my house to have a brain....with wife and three kids in the house, there are already too many "brains" that think they can control the temp. I'm going to put a lock box on ours soon!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    80deg how much are you paying on electric?

My bill, which includes water, sewage, trash and whatever else the city tacks on is $200 in the summer for a 2br/2ba 1000sq foot house. It would be less if we had better windows and doors, but it's a rental, so I deal :)
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
  • ChangeYourPace
    ChangeYourPace Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    75 during the summer months and down to 73 in the winter.
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Arctic in summer, Nordic in winter! NEVER ABOVE 68°F!