Is bodybuilding vain?

Whats ur opinion on bodybuilding? Do you think its a totally vain thing to do?
Is it a sport of looking better and better and better.
I started it to get in shape but also to gain strength and be more athletic, not just athletic looking..however I dont strength train so I suppose I am not really getting much stronger?
I feel accomplished building my body to be more muscular and I do "feel" stronger..Idk what do you think?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    does **** stink?
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    no its all about a healthy lifestyle
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    no its all about a healthy lifestyle

contest prep should totally be taught in nutrition class....
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Uh, of course it is vain. What kind of question is that?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Is it vain? Yes. Do I think vanity is wrong? Not unless it's taken to an extreme. If the only thing that matters in your life is how lean you are and you'd sacrifice literally everything (your family, friends, career, etc.) to get leaner, it's gone too far. But I admire people who have goals and work hard to achieve them, even if I don't have the same goals.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    They call them "vanity muscles" for a reason.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    yes, but that doesn't mean it has to be a negative thing.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    I have worked my assets off lifting in the gym over the past year and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. #gymrat. Yes, I want to look sehxy when I'm done. I'll trade in gluttony for vanity any day.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Depends on your definition of "bodybuilding". I was part of an organization for a few years where we lifted weights to cut down on miscellaneous injuries common to the profession. Nothing vain about it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Is running a marathon or an ultra vain?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be the best you can be at your chosen sport (I'd draw the line at steroids or other performance enhancing drugs).
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 366 Member
    It's not vain... at least in my eyes. If it is vain, then so is doing anything that will make you look and feel better. So whatever... who cares what people think!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Not necessarily. It's not purely about physique. The body is functional and happens to look good when it is strong and healthy.

But yes, basically. Usually bodybuilding is about physique... and... circle complete.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    It's only vain if you're doing it for vain reasons.

I, on the other hand, am doing it for misogynistic reasons.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    I think there's a difference between pride and vanity.

I'm proud that this kid who never got picked for any team in school can do stairclimb events because my body is so strong that going up dozens of flights of stairs is possible for me. Those squats paid off.

I'm proud that when I say: Oh, it isn't far...just around the corner...that means 2 miles for me. Bodybuilding also gives me lots of stamina.

Yep, I do flex my arms to make my bi/tris "pop"...but not because I think they are hotter...but because they are visible signs of my hard work.
  • nikikeenan
    nikikeenan Posts: 15 Member
    It's not vain... at least in my eyes. If it is vain, then so is doing anything that will make you look and feel better. So whatever... who cares what people think!

True..I just like to think of myself as athletic..with athletic goals not so much asthetic goals..I love the challenge of PR's on my heavy lifts . I also have loved watching my tricep grow etc from hard work..
  • nikikeenan
    nikikeenan Posts: 15 Member
    I think there's a difference between pride and vanity.

I'm proud that this kid who never got picked for any team in school can do stairclimb events because my body is so strong that going up dozens of flights of stairs is possible for me. Those squats paid off.

I'm proud that when I say: Oh, it isn't far...just around the corner...that means 2 miles for me. Bodybuilding also gives me lots of stamina.

Yep, I do flex my arms to make my bi/tris "pop"...but not because I think they are hotter...but because they are visible signs of my hard work.
    I feel this way too..lots of stamina also
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    I started it to get in shape but also to gain strength and be more athletic, not just athletic looking..however I dont strength train so I suppose I am not really getting much stronger?
    I feel accomplished building my body to be more muscular and I do "feel" stronger..Idk what do you think?

This song is about me. Isn't it?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member

True..I just like to think of myself as athletic..with athletic goals not so much asthetic goals..I love the challenge of PR's on my heavy lifts . I also have loved watching my tricep grow etc from hard work..

I agree, and this is how I look at lifting. I like getting stronger. The aesthetics are a bonus for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm vain as hell, and I control what I eat because I want to lose more fat. The lifting helps with that, in terms of holding onto lean mass, but I find lifting to be explosive and powerful. And I find strength to be super hot. I read an article earlier this week that talked about how physical strength and mental strength are mutually inclusive, and when I see a man who is obviously strong and well-constructed, it's like automatic respect and attraction (or, for a female, automatic respect and admiration) because I know how hard it is, and I take some cues from his appearance and how he carries himself about what kind of man he is.

And I think I got off subject there, but yeah, I think bodybuilding is vain but in the most awesome way possible.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    IT SURE IS!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Yes.