negative comments from friends are starting to suck!!

Options
I've lost 65 pounds relatively quickly (5 months) and still have 10-15 to go to get to my goal.

About 10-15 pounds ago I started getting the:
you need to quit losing weight
you look sick
you have lost too much
your no fun now that your skinny
we are going to plump you back up, etc. comments from everyone!!

Co-workers, best friends, family, etc, even had a neighbor friend send a get well card in the mail as a joke...Getting old....I am 6'2" and want to be 185...I don't think that's too skinny at all. Don't get me wrong I have a few cheerleaders that encourage me along, but it gets real old hearing the comments from everyone else on a daily sometimes hourly basis. Sucks working so hard and being so proud of myself only to hear that crap. I was this skinny about 15 years ago and let myself go, and am not doing that again!!

Rant over, just needed to get that off my chest lol

Carry on :)

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    "Do you even eat anymore?" Is the one I'm most tired of hearing.

Oh, here's a good one, "Are those bones or muscles?" While pointing at my collar bones. Seriously??
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you need to quit losing weight
    your no fun now that your skinny
    we are going to plump you back up, etc. comments from everyone!!

Those are the ones I'm hearing the most of right now...and I'm 30+ pounds from my goal. :laugh: I can't imagine what'll happen when I actually reach it.
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Any friend who *****es about my weight loss and can't support me is OUT.

I wont be friends with those who think snide comments are okay.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    then do something about it,
    kick some *kitten*.
    PROVE THEM WRONG!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are dealing with that...I have an online friend who has lost over 120 lb and she gets it constantly, I feel so bad for her!

I have only lost about 65 lb from my highest weight, and I'm at least 50 lb from my ultimate goal weight and could lose probably 100 lb before I really was too skinny. But already I am hearing comments like, "If you didn't lose any more weight, you would look good" which sounds ok but then it's followed by rude stuff like, "If you lose more, you'll start looking older", "If you lose more, you won't have boobs" etc...

RUDE.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Ask them if it's OK for you to continuously criticize them as well.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP
  • amandarama_
    Options
    I am starting to get these again. I lost 70 pounds and have maintained for just over a year. I now rejoined and am starting again to lose the last 10 pounds and all I am hearing is that I don't need to and I shouldn't get any skinnier and all of it. My family is the worst for it.

Just remember why you're doing this. You're not doing this so they will think you are thin enough, you are doing this fo how YOU feel about yourself. And really, that's the most important part.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get it alot from my mother-in-law. I'm still about 40lbs away from my goal weight and everytime she sees me she tells me I'm drying up or some comment like that. I just ignore her b/c I know I still have a ways to go and I'm finally getting to where I'm feeling good about myself.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used to get that, I listened to them, stopped losing weight, then gained some, and now I'm miserable and find losing impossible. YOU know yourself, don't listen to them
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Happened to me a few years ago. Friend pulls me aside and says lightly "Are you ok? Need me to buy you a sandwich ?" Lol its funny! Friends/family know you for so many years and you suddenly change and they think something is wrong or you are on hard times :D
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Usually the people who say that kind of stuff fall under two categories: those who are trying to show their support and simply saying the wrong thing, and those who are jealous of your success.

My gramma always tells me I'm perfect the way I am, I don't need to lose weight, etc. etc. and I know she's just trying to be my sweet, loving gramma who does really think I'm that awesome. But it's frustrating to hear that because it translates to lack of support.

All the advice I can really offer is try not to let it get to you. You need to work for your own success, you need to be comfortable with yourself, and that's all that matters. You are not losing weight for those people - you're doing it for yourself!

You can also come up with some witty comebacks too, I find that helps shut people up :]
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. I get that *kitten* all the time. Most are just jealous or feel inadequate b/c they don't get off their butts and do what you did. I just tell people I am the average weight for my height and I like feeling healthy and like having the energy to do whatever I want. Usually shuts them up.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP

QFT
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Whoever says these *kitten* to you ain't a friend. Seriously,have you been told that you're not fun since you lost weight? ::huh:

Some friends show their real face after you've lost weight and it's sad.

Don't let negative people with negative comments get in your way. And it would be best to avoid hanging out with these people or if you still want them in your life,it'd be better not to talk about weightloss stuff. :smile:
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the hard work of losing 65 (!!) pounds, thats so awesome! I truly don't understand why people feel the need to be so negative, maybe they feel threatened.. Keep your head up, in the end you're getting fit for you, not anyone else :)
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    People just aren't used to seeing you at this weight anymore. It will take them a while to get used to it.
    Then the comments will stop. Just focus on you, and remember why your doing this. (-:
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing , going from 250 to 190 in 6 months. I just brush it off because I know my own goal, trying to get to 180. It could also be them being jealous of your progress, especially from the ones that complain that they themselves are too fat, I get that alot. Just keep your head in game and keep going towards that goal, you will get there. And congrates on the loss so far.
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain! The whole reason I started on MFP is because I had zero support from home and even to the point of trying to sabotage my progress.
    I think the worst is my mom who can't make up her mind which way she wants me to go. If I eat healthy/workout/lose weight, she accuses me of being on drugs or an eating disorder but when I gained weight she would make fun of me and call me fat all the time.

I finally learned the one person I need to learn how to please is me but it's still annoying to get the negativity.
  • Clschuler
    Clschuler Posts: 11
    Options
    As long as your target weight is healthy for your size just let it roll off your back, it's not about your ego it is about your health keep strong!