OMG, you wouldn't believe what she has been saying to me!

Options

Replies

• BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I say some the same things to myself all the time. Those inner voices can be such b*tches sometimes...

ps, you're gorgeous. :heart:
  • Melsy7
    Melsy7 Posts: 30
    Options
    Oh look, your *****y office mate and mine are twins!

We are our own worst enemies, aren't we?
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much what I say to myself daily, every.single.day.

Its not that I want to say these things, it was beaten into me when I was a kid so I totally understand and can relate.
    I try to dress it up as something other than what it is.
    Try to pretend it's not poisonous.

^so much truth

Mirey, Is that a new tattoo? I :heart: it.

:flowerforyou:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Excellent read!! It just came to my attention that I am overly critical of myself as well. How did this come to my attention? I heard my 12yo daughter talking about herself in a negative manner and I said to her, "Hon, you're not doing yourself or anyone else any favors by being negative about yourself." She said, "You talk like this too, Mom." BAM!! Right in the kisser!!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    We are our own worst enemy!! No one and I do mean NO ONE! can or will judge us as harshly as we do ourselves.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Excellent, excellent, excellent post. I know that girl too. What a c u next tuesday. Thanks for posting. It really helps put things in perspective. The bigger battle is changing it :ohwell:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem.....a rather severe case of it, in fact. Back when I was in therapy, my therapist told me to find a photo of myself as a young child, and carry it around with me. When I started having those mean thoughts, I was to pull out the photo of myself as a child and look at it, and ask myself if I would talk to a child that way. Because that was basically what I was doing; talking to that child in the picture who had simply matured into a woman.

I did the exercise, minus carrying a photo of myself around; I simply pictured my face as a child whenever the mean thoughts would come. I pictured myself sitting on the school bus as a kid being picked on by a bully (which used to happen), and pictured that the bully was me. It made me feel horrible and stopped my self-abuse in its tracks every time I did it. It is not fun, but I recommend that anyone try it who struggles with the same thing, just to get those thoughts under control.

Thanks for putting such a deep and personal thing out there that so many have or are struggling with. :flowerforyou:
  • brook0530
    brook0530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Its a shame that we all do this....that society has taught us to think this way and that it is doing the same to our daughters. We need to know that "beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder" and perception is truth and truth is perception. What we perceive in and about ourselves is OUR truth and we need to change it and teach others to do the same. We are wonderfully and beautifully made and have been given a great gift - to do good things with who and what we are! Thank you for posting the thoughts of all of us and for helping many to become aware of the inner struggle. The battle is always in the mind and the truth is (according to MY perception) that happiness (being a choice) is a WAY of life...NOT a destination! Love this post! xoxo
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow.... you just made realize how mean I can be.

Excellent post & perfect reminder to respect ourselves. :flowerforyou:
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Argh..yep that 's me too! We gotta :heart: ourselves, or no one else will do ..period!
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    PLEASE....stop being so hard on yourself..... :flowerforyou:
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This was really powerful. It made me realize how much I do criticize myself. Thank you for posting it. I come on MFP because of the wonderful friends that lift me up and to be encouraging but I don't encourage myself near as much as I should.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This brought tears to my eyes:(
    Thanks for pointing this out.......I will learn to love myself.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Believe it or not your post just helped someone...many of us feel this way and many of us needed to read this. Funny how we can not see ourselves as others do. I guess it just takes awhile for our brains to catch up with our bodies.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Mirey, we aren't friends, and don't ever interact; but I LOVE your posts. They are always so positive, and empowering. Thank you for being an amazing person, regardless of what that "inner beeotch" says. :flowerforyou:
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Such a great post!!! Thank you for sharing so openly. Like many others have already commented, I am still learning to be more kind to myself. I have no doubt that this post will help many to do just that.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    the response has been overwhelming. I didn't expect this much and really...
    h88F177B2

thank you, everyone.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think hearing so much of this kind of self-talk from dear friends on mfp, whose bodies seem perfect to me, has made me wary of buying into any of the body ideals they hold themselves up against.I love my body as is. I would like to keep loving it. So I won't be taking before and after pics when my little one has been born. I don't want to be tempted to look for the negative, or to to see anything less than perfect as negative.

I've been through phases of avoiding mirrors, I've had negative self talk routines, but I seem to be beyond that now. I had a patch where real things were really going wrong, but I was still managing to be happy, until a colleague decided to disabuse me and point out how awful everything was and tell me I couldn't really be happy. She made me cry then, but now I think she was very wrong to think she had the right to do that. Happiness is often a choice, and that is mine to make, no one else's.

Sorry, feel like I've gone OT.

Hope you can learn to love yourself better, OP, and that was beautifully written :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Thank you.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I think hearing so much of this kind of self-talk from dear friends on mfp, whose bodies seem perfect to me, has made me wary of buying into any of the body ideals they hold themselves up against.I love my body as is. I would like to keep loving it. So I won't be taking before and after pics when my little one has been born. I don't want to be tempted to look for the negative, or to to see anything less than perfect as negative.

I've been through phases of avoiding mirrors, I've had negative self talk routines, but I seem to be beyond that now. I had a patch where real things were really going wrong, but I was still managing to be happy, until a colleague decided to disabuse me and point out how awful everything was and tell me I couldn't really be happy. She made me cry then, but now I think she was very wrong to think she had the right to do that. Happiness is often a choice, and that is mine to make, no one else's.

Sorry, feel like I've gone OT.

Hope you can learn to love yourself better, OP, and that was beautifully written :flowerforyou:

I think this was a very beautiful thing to read, and I thank you for going where you felt it was OT.

As for your baby bump - perfection!