Student brought me an iced mocha...

Options
12346»

Replies

• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thank you for the positive, constructive responses. I can't believe how snarky some of you are! I have amazing students who I love dearly and would never want to squash their generosity. I work very hard to make them achieve their brightest potential, I would never intentionally break that trust.

I am not diabetic and I don't eat EVERY cookie lying around. I used that to try to show that I struggle with self-control (apparently some of us are very literal).

When I wrote my original post, I hadn't looked up the calories yet and thought there were a lot more than the actual. I'm still new to this and have been really working hard.

I accepted the drink with a thank you and a smile, drank a few sips while the student was present, drank about half total and threw the other half down the sink.

Again, thank you for your responses. Please remember when posting that this site is for people who are trying to better themselves. Rarely does negativity help anyone.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. For the record, I wasn't facepalming the OP. :)

I think what you went through is pretty common for everyone in a work environment. At some point in time we have to realize that these sorts of decisions have to be sustainable. For some, saying no is easy, and they can do that for the rest of their lives. Other people have a harder time doing that, so they have to do one of three things, or a combination of 1 and 2:

1) Adjust their diet for the rest of the day so they stay under their goal.
    2) Hit the gym harder to burn off the calories.
    3) Not care. Gain weight.

For me, my caloric goal is a bucket that gets filled every day. I would have totally drank the mocha (if I liked mochas), calculated the calories, and adjusted my diet for the rest of the day to be under my caloric goal. Sometimes I go over. Sometimes I don't know exactly how many calories I ate, but those are issues that we dieters just have to deal with.

The important thing is to just do something that works for you, will continue to work for you, and allows you stay under your calorie limit. I hope that helps.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thank you for the positive, constructive responses. I can't believe how snarky some of you are! I have amazing students who I love dearly and would never want to squash their generosity. I work very hard to make them achieve their brightest potential, I would never intentionally break that trust.

I am not diabetic and I don't eat EVERY cookie lying around. I used that to try to show that I struggle with self-control (apparently some of us are very literal).

When I wrote my original post, I hadn't looked up the calories yet and thought there were a lot more than the actual. I'm still new to this and have been really working hard.

I accepted the drink with a thank you and a smile, drank a few sips while the student was present, drank about half total and threw the other half down the sink.

Again, thank you for your responses. Please remember when posting that this site is for people who are trying to better themselves. Rarely does negativity help anyone.
    :flowerforyou:

I'm glad you are a nice lady and a teacher. I'm glad some of these other people with their weird ideas are not.

they make me feel like this.

6823458034_c50319f5aa_z.jpg and I'm glad you knew that was a bad way to make a little kid feel. So happy with the outcome.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

This makes me smile. Im glad your the kind of teacher children want to bring gifts too.They make a difference.:flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I don't if any of the above was directed at me, but I believe I was positive, constructive, realistic, and YOU were the one who came to the forum asking for help. You are also the one who said you couldn't resist sweets. That's not being overly literal, that's reading.

It's your profile that says you are concerned about your weight possibly causing serious problems in your personal life. A lot of people spent time trying to respond to you so your lecture is misplaced.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I wish my students brought me something other than sticky fingers and snotty faces.

I'm glad you enjoyed your treat OP, and that you inspire such graciousness in your students.
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,094 Member
    Options
    I just was given a caramel Starbuck's drink of some sort from a client today. I accepted with grace (I hope) and will say this...because of the work I do, and gift-giving policies, there are times when I've had to graciously say no to a gift...it can be very awkward....(I work for a brokerage firm, we have a gift acceptance policy, which includes no tickets, nothing of cash value, only food type items - a coffee, or plate of cookies that can be shared with the entire office, etc are able to be accepted). I have had to actually thank a client for a gift, and hand it back to them, saying our gift policy doesn't allow us to accept such a generous gift, but thank you for the kind thoughts and intentions....this has always been followed up by a personal thank you note to the client as well, that I mailed that day. it can be quite uncomfortable...I have wonderful clients...and I try to treat them all like you would your own grandmother (one you like:wink: )....

Teachers, (my sister is a teacher) often are overlooked in many aspects of our world, and to have a student care enough to give a gift to you (of ANY sort) speaks VOLUMES about the kind of teacher you are. Kudos to you on being an awesome, caring teacher, and yes, it's hard when you first start your weightloss...I've been losing and relosing the same 5 pounds...but think you did the right thing, FOR YOU (and your thoughtful student). :flowerforyou:
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to accept this gift without adding it to my food log? I'm not ready to come out of the dieting closet and I don't want to offend. I really appreciate the gesture. I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem. If there is a cookie laying out, I'm eating it.

1 drink isnt going to kill your diet.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Im a teacher and whenever kids bring stuff I just assume its spit in and toss it out. You may want to do the same. lol
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else notice the OP say she will eat a cookie if she sees one laying out but is worried about a single mocha that a student gives her? I think the more important issue isn't how to decline a mocha but maybe rethink how she eats during day or try to change some habits?

Of course I noticed. She understands that she has a problem with sweets and she's concerned about this additional problem. It is harder to avoid eating things that have been offered to us because we don't want to seem ungrateful. A mocha can be well over 200 calories. It adds up, in addition to whatever else is in her house.

Exactly my point then of changing habits. I'm sure coming across other temptations, like a cookie laying out, would occur way more often than a mocha being offered. I got the impression the mocha was a one time thing, but until the OP responds how often it occurs, it may have been a single time as far as we know.

You're perfectly right. My assumption that this was a repeating problem was based on the OP's coming to the forum and asking for suggestions.
  • _skinnydreaming
    Options
    You could accept it while the student is there, then "accidentally" spill it into the garbage when they're gone :)

I would do this!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Accept it and be gracious. Explain that you're watching your waistline (or cutting back on caffeine or whatever), so you can't accept a gift like this every day, but you're grateful for the kind thought. Have a little, log the calories, go for an extra walk and be grateful that you have someone in your life who wants to do nice things for you.

THIS!

One of our teachers (who is retiring) brought in a lovely cake for us in the office to share - 344 calories a "serving" (but who can cut cake that thin???) I'll make sure my co-workers (who are not watching their intakes) finish it up.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.

Yes "Quiet Smile"; as a former elementary and middle school teacher---YOU get an "A" and the VIP student desk!! :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    extra 1/2 hour workout today and enjoy your mocha!

I love this idea! #winwin
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke. Anyway, I'd just try to find out how many calories it is---it may not be SO bad---& then just drink it, & walk it off later. I mean, a mocha iced latte is what, at most 200 calories? A good walk burns that off.

that's old thinking, wasting food. If its junk food, and you choose not to eat it, then give it away, or if you can't, then throw it out. IMHO, its better for me to throw it out, than it is to drink it "cuz its polite".
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

well said.
  • bettysueANDboe
    Options
    For my students, I either do take it (if you obsess then it will drive you crazy to deny every craving) OR politely decline; trust me, they will find a willing participant to accept it (perhaps even a crush???).
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I say drink it and log it. That student went out of his/her way to get you something, don't throw it in the garbage! You just owe that student an extra 30 minutes at the gym later! :-)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    How sweet that the student brought that to you! Never refuse a gift from a child. If you don't want to drink it, don't. But the best option is to just enjoy the thing, log it, and move on. :flowerforyou: