Has anyone met there goal weight eating 1200 calories??

Options

Replies

• Kimberlyann21
    Kimberlyann21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    my question is how much is everyone weighing to eat 1200 calories what if your over 250 lbs can that make your body go into starvation mode? when i typed my information in on mfp i did slightly active because i am working out...and it set me at 1510 calories..
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50 pounds in 8-9 months on 1200 total cals and moderate exercise. I have maintained that loss for over 2 months fairly easily, on 1500-1600 cals, but am starting back on losing mode to get the last 30 off, so I am dropping it back down to 1200-1250.

It works for many people, but of course not everyone. All depends on your own body's needs.

And no matter HOW you LOSE the weight, you must have a maintenance plan in place to keep it off!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I am within 3 pounds of my goal weight of 120. I ate 1200 plus 1/2 to all of my exercise calories back.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    my question is how much is everyone weighing to eat 1200 calories what if your over 250 lbs can that make your body go into starvation mode? when i typed my information in on mfp i did slightly active because i am working out...and it set me at 1510 calories..

If you regularly work out, this sounds better for you than 1200. But since you chose your activity level based on your working out, you wouldn't add your exercise calories to the 1510. Try it for awhile and see how it works for you.
    1200 works for me, but I will turn 50 next month and am fairly sedentary.

ETA. My highest weight was 237. When you are considerably overweight, you can have a larger deficit without having to worry about 'starvation mode'. That generally becomes a concern when you get closer to a normal BF% and weight.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've met my goal eating a whoooooooooole lot more. Why only eat 1200 if you can lose at more?

Yeah, I don't get that. I'm one pound away from my goal and eat close to 2000 calories a day.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can't gain on 1200 calories a day unless you are 3'5", especially if you exercise 5x a week. I lost most of my weight around 1500-1800 cal/day and running 3 or 4 times a week. I stalled when I tried keeping myself around 1200 cal/day.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". If I want to lose weight (as opposed to maintaining) with no exercise I need to be around 1200. Earlier in the year, I did a form of Intermittent Fasting called Fast-5 for a month while trying to average 1200. I lost 5 pounds. This was an excellent result because I'm already at a low weight and it's hard for me to drop weight. I think I developed a new set point. Whereas my weight used to hover around 101-103, it's now more often in the 99 to 100 range. These numbers may sound minuscule, but if you consider them as a percentage of my weight and my recent weight history, they're notable. Incidentally, my weight was in the 90s when I was young.

I recently joined a gym and my goal is to get there four times a week, although that hasn't yet happened. I'm doing a mix of strength training and cardio. I do feel the urge to reward myself afterwards by eating more, which undermines my efforts. Although I work hard, I am not working so hard that I need additional calories. As a rule, I never eat back calories.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    10 + the 1 lb lost this morning eating 2,100 calories a day. Just throwing that out there.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    hhhmmamm, so many directions to go with this. I'll be nice this time and just say that on the days I'm getting my good workouts, like 800-1500 cals of workouts, I'm eating almost (just short of) 3000 cals, and I'm still losing at the suggested clip of 1-2lbs per week.

If your working with your trainer, that trainer should be setting you up on a suggested plan, and I'd be shocked if it was so low as to go to 1200 plus workouts. That would be really unhealthy, but hey, not saying it can't be done!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've met my goal eating a whoooooooooole lot more. Why only eat 1200 if you can lose at more?

Yeah, I don't get that. I'm one pound away from my goal and eat close to 2000 calories a day.

It depends on age too. Many women for instance, who have, or are, going through the menopause find their weightloss slows down quite dramatically and they are unable to eat what they used to. Of course, that is not a hard and fast rule, it differs for many people.

I am 52, have gone through the menopause, I would be unable to lose on 2000 calories per day. It doesn't bother me, I just have to ensure I eat properly and do not substitute meals for sweets, chocolate and any rubbish. I never feel deprived.
  • Axioml
    Axioml Posts: 29
    Options
    @ 1200 calories a day. How many pounds a week can be lost?
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I'm eating about 1200 calories, plus my 100 calories of exercise back. I already lost a few pounds. Do any of you go over some days to splurge, and if yu have, did you still lose weight?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    @ 1200 calories a day. How many pounds a week can be lost?
    it depends. Set the program up to fit YOU. If you're active, put it. If you only have a few lbs to lose, set your goal at 1lb per week, not the instant "2lb" goal. Losing faster = / = sustainable. There's no blanket answer to this question.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's such an individual thing, depending on a number of factors. I personally lost a significant amount early in my MFP journey at 1390 calories (I'm 5'11' and weighed 223 at the time). However, after about 30-45 days of that, I moved it to 1810 calories per day, thinking to reduce the weight loss to about 1 lb per week. Have lost an additional 7 pounds since then (down about 36 total), and am getting ready to increase the calories again (to 2010 this time). IMO, you need to listen to your body, weigh/measure your food (so you know), and track your activity to have a meaningful record while you are determining the appropriate approach for you. As much good advice as you will get here, your body is the best judge of whether your food intake is too low or high.

As to my exercise, I'm usually about 5x per week (running, tennis and biking). Now that I am below my goal, am going to be maintaining while working out heavy with weights.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have met my goal in the past eating 1200 calories, twice in fact. First time I lost 33lbs, the second time 41lbs. I put weight back on because I ate too much.
    [/quote]

Same here. I`ve lost over 40 pounds twice on 1200 calories, then I upped my calories to 1700 and packed the weight back on. Since then I read so many posts about maintenance, so I will up my calories by 50-100 calories slowly.
  • __Di__
    Options
    I have met my goal in the past eating 1200 calories, twice in fact. First time I lost 33lbs, the second time 41lbs. I put weight back on because I ate too much.

Same here. I`ve lost over 40 pounds twice on 1200 calories, then I upped my calories to 1700 and packed the weight back on. Since then I read so many posts about maintenance, so I will up my calories by 50-100 calories slowly.

Yes, I know what you mean, maintenance seems more difficult than getting the weight off in the first place! :laugh:

I always liken it to a sportperson aiming to be the best in their chosen sport and when they eventually get to be the champion, they then have the task of remaining there.
  • trogalicious
    Options

Exactly the point in finding something sustainable. Can you eat 1200 and lose? Sure.. but unless you plan on doing that forever, why start now?
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Because some of us are very short. I`m only 5`0 45 years old 142 LB. My BMR according to Scooby is 1319, and 1230 according to MFP.
    My TDEE is 1583 . I love food, I would love to eat more, but when I do, I just pack on a whole bunch of weight again.
  • __Di__
    Options

Exactly the point in finding something sustainable. Can you eat 1200 and lose? Sure.. but unless you plan on doing that forever, why start now?

You don't have to remain on 1200 forever though, this is the bit I never understand when people say that. If somebody remains on 1200 forever, they will continually lose weight. Once their goal has been met, they will need to go onto maintenance, so need to up their calories?
  • trogalicious
    Options

Because some of us are very short. I`m only 5`0 45 years old 142 LB. My BMR according to Scooby is 1319, and 1230 according to MFP.
    My TDEE is 1583 . I love food, I would love to eat more, but when I do, I just pack on a whole bunch of weight again.

the problem is that someone that's 6'0 and 200 lbs may come in, read that "1200 calories worked for me" without all of the information, and start eating 1200 calories... then they come back a few months later all "why am I not losing????"

Yeah, YOU know how it works because you've done the research for you and that amount is what works for you... but it isn't a blanket prescription for everyone. Kudos for doing the research, though... far too many people don't.

You don't have to remain on 1200 forever though, this is the bit I never understand when people say that. If somebody remains on 1200 forever, they will continually lose weight. Once their goal has been met, they will need to go onto maintenance, so need to up their calories?

You don't have to start at 1200 either. That's the biggest problem with MFP. 85% of people do this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.