Has anyone met there goal weight eating 1200 calories??

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    You just might gain weight eating so little, when your body does not get enough food to fuel your body and metabolism is hoards everything. Eat more, your body will greatly love you and in thanks will burn fat. It's about what you eat. Not so much about "how much you eat"

1200 calories is actually considered starvation to most these days as that's what most females metabolism lie at. You need to eat slightly more than that, unless recommended by your doctor for a medical supervised diet... in order to keep and fuel up your metabolism. Be one with your body my dear, listen to it. It's your friend, not your enemy. Same goes with food when you use it right.

Sophie it is nowhere near starvation seriously. It is not even considered a very low calorie diet.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    @ 1200 calories a day. How many pounds a week can be lost?

I lose about 0.3 - 0.5 pound a week on 1200 cals.

only if you're you.

YES !!! Sorry if I wasn`t specific. English is my second language, I just picked it up on my own.
    As I already said it, I`m a 45 years old female, 142-lb, and only 5`0 Ft tall. My BMR according to Scooby is 1319, and 1230 according to MFP.
    My TDEE is 1583. Eating 1200 -1300 calories a day, and I am losing about a half a pound a week.
    So my reason is eating this way, is because I`ve gained all my weight back when I upped my calories. I would love to able to eat more, but unfortunately I can`t . People just assume that we eat this low to drop a huge amount of weight every week. I am only losing half a pound or less on 1200 cals. Sorry about the missunderstanding.
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I've lost 138 lbs, was 141 but I started strength training intensely, and I've gained muscle weight... I've lost inches though.. Anyway.... I've eaten 1200-1300 calories consistently since last August... Is hit a plateau last summer and when I dropped to 1200 and ate a lot cleaner the weight fell off... I never eat back calories burned... I'm hoping to reach my goal in the near future... I am now eating 1200-1400... On days I strength train, I eat a little more but not much...
  • __Di__
    Options
    I've lost 138 lbs, was 141 but I started strength training intensely, and I've gained muscle weight... I've lost inches though.. Anyway.... I've eaten 1200-1300 calories consistently since last August... Is hit a plateau last summer and when I dropped to 1200 and ate a lot cleaner the weight fell off... I never eat back calories burned... I'm hoping to reach my goal in the near future... I am now eating 1200-1400... On days I strength train, I eat a little more but not much...

Hi Charlotte, out of interest, how long has it taken you to lose that amount?

WTG on your weightloss, it seriously is impressive!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Wow! That is quite amazing! And you are strength training as well. Congrats to you. How inspiring.
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

I began in October of 2011, I weighed 305... I was 234 last June and plateued until August 2012 from that point until July 2013, I've gone from 234 to 164-167... I strength train and I run and circuit train... I've been over weight my entire life, I mean my whole life... I weighed 164 in 5th grade,10 years old... If I can do this, ANYONE can....
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Congrats on your weight loss!! It is very inspiring !!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    im down from 250 to 202 right now eating 1200 calories (since february), my bf % went from 24% to 15% so far, with lifting and doing cardio

wow... 24 to 15% on 1200 calories?

yup, i'm trying to get to like 7%, and i see no reason why i won't get there continuing this way. I also lift for like 2 hours a day and do atleast an hour of cardio, and i certainly don't re-eat those calories that i burn.

Dam man, you must got some crazy genetics. I would lose a tone of muscle doing what you're doing.
  • __Di__
    Options

I began in October of 2011, I weighed 305... I was 234 last June and plateued until August 2012 from that point until July 2013, I've gone from 234 to 164-167... I strength train and I run and circuit train... I've been over weight my entire life, I mean my whole life... I weighed 164 in 5th grade,10 years old... If I can do this, ANYONE can....

No, not everybody can, you have done exceptionally well, you are a seriously impressive person. I don't want to say anymore because it will seem too gushy, but you have surpassed yourself there and all credit to you. :flowerforyou:
  • stacysobocan
    Options
    Just listen to ur body. If uur hungry then eat something or have a protein shake those add calories but empty calories if u know what I mean. Have a salad or something lite. I always under eat n I'm trying to gain weight.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Just listen to ur body. If uur hungry then eat something or have a protein shake those add calories but empty calories if u know what I mean. Have a salad or something lite. I always under eat n I'm trying to gain weight.
    so if you're undereating, how are you expecting to gain?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    grammar and spelling. can't figure out the question. moving on.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    1200 is a bit on the restrictive side for me... so I keep it around ~1400-1500... those couple hundred calories make a difference :o
  • kalika47
    kalika47 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 lbs. in 5 months, just by eating 1200 (or slightly less) cals. per day, since January. My exercise through the winter was NIL, other than shovelling snow, and in the spring/summer, just moderate gardening. I went from 160 to 132, and was never hungry. Bear in mind, that I am 66 years old, so my metabolism has slowed down. However, I was this same size 7 years ago, and felt much slimmer. Guess I have to motivate myself to do some toning....lol
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Sure... and I had ruined my lean body mass and still looked fat naked. It was pretty sweet!

And then I pulled my head out of my rear, understood what my actual calorie needs are for my stats and activity level, set a small deficit, ate 1700-1800 cals a day, got adequate protein and did strength training to minimize loss of lean body mass and now I have the body (COMPOSITION) I want or at least a lot closer than when I ate like a mouse and was at my joke of a goal weight.

Oh yeah, and I'm 25lbs heavier, but about 10% lower in BF and still fit in all the same small clothes I wore when I lost weight with 1200 calories.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    it depends. Set the program up to fit YOU. If you're active, put it. If you only have a few lbs to lose, set your goal at 1lb per week, not the instant "2lb" goal. Losing faster = / = sustainable. There's no blanket answer to this question.

It depends. If you are over 200 pounds I don't believe that losing 2Ibs a weeks is "instant." But if you are 130 pounds losing 2Ib a week could be harmful.
  • east2west14
    Options
    1200 is a bit on the restrictive side for me... so I keep it around ~1400-1500... those couple hundred calories make a difference :o

Agreed
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    it depends. Set the program up to fit YOU. If you're active, put it. If you only have a few lbs to lose, set your goal at 1lb per week, not the instant "2lb" goal. Losing faster = / = sustainable. There's no blanket answer to this question.

It depends. If you are over 200 pounds I don't believe that losing 2Ibs a weeks is "instant." But if you are 130 pounds losing 2Ib a week could be harmful.
    Right, that's exactly why I said to set it for the person I was responding to... an active 49 year old man.
    Did you read the rest of the thread where I specifically said:
    That's the biggest problem with MFP. 85% of people do this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Cause that's exactly the thing I mean. 85% of people put the wrong/inaccurate information in when they sign up, because they have the wrong expectations/goals... and then MFP (since it's just a calculator that doesn't take other data into consideration) gives them the number.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I started with 1200 goal, and actually researched how much I should be eating, which is like 2,000 so I just said, okay, and set it to 1,650 because some days I get hungrier if I work out more. But I try not to eat back the calories I burn, and I usually eat between 1300-1500. However, eating 1200 will not make you gain weight. Just make sure to eat atleast 1,100 a day and your body won't go into starvation mode.

40391093.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • east2west14
    Options

Right, that's exactly why I said to set it for the person I was responding to... an active 49 year old man.
    Did you read the rest of the thread where I specifically said:
    That's the biggest problem with MFP. 85% of people do this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Cause that's exactly the thing I mean. 85% of people put the wrong/inaccurate information in when they sign up, because they have the wrong expectations/goals... and then MFP (since it's just a calculator that doesn't take other data into consideration) gives them the number.

Gotcha