Has anyone met there goal weight eating 1200 calories??

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hi am worried i will gain by just eating 1200 calories a day but im full and don't feel the need to eat any more not even my net calories I have a personal trainer 5x a week will i still lose weight??

Has anyone met there goal weight just eating 1200 calories??

Will you lose weight? Of course you'll lose weight. That's what happens when you eat 1200 calories, you lose weight. All kinds of people have lost weight on 1200, from tiny middle aged women to 6'0 men in their twenties (We are all special snowflakes, except for the fact we all eat the same number of calories? Yep).

I can't tell you what will work for you, only what has thus far worked for me.

I'm 25. I'm sedentary in every day life (I spend a lot of time playing video games at this stage. I work in education, so I'm just hanging out until fall, at least.) I work out 5-6 days a week (depending on my mood. If I don't want to, I won't.) which comes to 3-4 hours a week. So not a whole lot, at all.

My goal is 1825. I lose weight at 1825. I've dropped 15 pounds in 3 months eating between 1650-1825. I've been over and under these numbers but it all balances to an average of 1750 (I keep track of my average calories, it's proven to be insightful)

Now people will say "I'm sedentary, 1200 is right for me!"
    Well I'm sedentary and I saw screw that.

"I don't work out for hours and hours!"
    Me either. I'm kind of lazy.

"Well it works for me!"
    Eating more would probably work to. I could lose on 1200, but why? For the joy of smaller portions? Nope.

"Well I don't eat a bunch of crap!"
    Cool, me either. I'm making a nice 6oz piece of fresh salmon (pre cooked) with a nice sour cream and basil sauce. I'm gonna have a side of broccoli and some rice. I'm having turkey and black bean chili for dinner, maybe some more rice, but probably not. I had pancakes, bacon, and a cheese and broccoli omelet for breakfast. I had a protein bar after lifting and I will have room for ice cream later, while still clocking in under goal. So. Not exactly sucking down crap over here.

"Well I'm older."
    Well the OP is 26 so /shrug to that.

That said do whatever makes you warm and fuzzy on the inside, but please be aware most people don't have to eat that way. I fully believe most people just can't wrap their mind around a higher number (I know, I know, I would eat more if I could! I tried for a whole two weeks! Kbrowhateveryousay.) If you want to be one of those people, do you. Me, I'll keep losing on 1800+. Also, my salmon is done and I need to sprinkle some cheese on my broccoli. Why? Cause I have the calories/macros for that.

animated-gif-food-emma-stone-yum-1360695881.gif
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to rub it in your face that I eat 1800 calories on average per day and still lose weight... tra-la-la-la-la-la...

Seriously? We do it to show you that you don't need to starve yourself to lose weight and in fact, prolonged undereating will cause you to plateau and become unhealthy.

Sorry we did a little learning and realized how to be healthy and still stay sane.

Yes, when I was 24 years old as you are, I too, could eat much more. However, now I am 52 and having gone through the menopause, I find 1200 is just right :)

It is definitely down to the individual on what they want to consume.

Isn't the above response juvenile? :smile: Yes, when I was 90-92 pounds at the age of 24 and able to eat literally anything I probably ate 1800 many days too. I didn't need to count calories so I have no idea.

The key is to figure out how to eat and maintain your weight when you're NO LONGER 24. I know plenty of formerly thin people who didn't change their habits.

Besides, a lot of the I-eat-1800-calories-a-day folks are overweight and losing (which is good). But if you have such vast self-knowledge and control how did you get overweight to begin with?

yes, that is my impression too :(

BTW, the OP is 26, please tell me how your over 50, menopausal, I'm no longer 24 so I can't eat anything anecdotal evidence is even applicable?

Seems like my advice at the age of 24, fairly active, and at a relatively normal to low BF% is probably a little more helpful in this situation. But maybe I'm biased.

Who me?

I am 52 years old, I am the middle one in my profile piccie there, I have gone through the menopause, finished it two years ago.

I am not sure why you are questioning my age and situation, or were you asking somebody else that?

Are you really this obtuse?

You and toutmonpossible were all high fiving each other and patting each other on the back because you both decided that since shutupandlift is 24, then obviously her information about being able to eat more is irrelevant, and that she is juvenile for pointing it out. Do you really need this spelled out for you?

No, it was nothing to do with that.

Right what it was, was that Shutupandlift said she ate 1800 calories and I said, that I was able to eat that amount too when I was 24 years old, however, now that I am over double that age and have gone through the menopause (which can entail slower weightloss), I chose to go on 1200 calories.

That was how it went.

High-fiving?? no I just liked toutmonpossible's posting that she posted before Shutupandlift replied with her 1800 calorie reply.

I'm 40 years old, short, and eat well over 1200 calories. My net is around 1500 right now, but due to exercise I generally clock in at around 2000 gross calories. I'm in this for the long haul rather than a quick fix, and as such I want to use the method that will leave me not only thinner than I started, but also fitter and healthier. I am choosing the method that will allow me to retain the greatest amount of LBM as I lose. That means that I'm lifting and eating enough to lose at a reasonable pace while not losing LBM.

Woops, I just saw where toutmouse said that formerly fat people (or currently?) can't give advice because we got fat. I suppose we aren't allowed to learn from our past mistakes and share what we've learned. Guess I'll just stay fat :sad:
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think you've all scared OP off. :)

I'd like to know what her trainer says. Cos if I was her trainer, looking at her I'd say just a change in composition would give her the result she desires. In that case at the age of 25 she doesn't NEED to eat 1200 if she's training HARD 5x week. Focus on macros with a smaller deficit?

Different to me cos I'm 43. Train 2xweek and probably not as active. In fact pretty certain of that. I ate at 1200 but not if I was hungry. As another poster said there is commonsense involved if you eat at 1200. I zigzagged happily. But I've has younger women on my FL that fret cos they are 30 cal over or even 200. They also try to exercise back their entire day. And they fall away eventually. Sadly, I think OP fits that or will do depending on the advice she takes in today. She'll see the comments she wants to see and nevermind that her needs don't fit that criteria.

If that's not true OP then I apologize in advance. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to rub it in your face that I eat 1800 calories on average per day and still lose weight... tra-la-la-la-la-la...

Seriously? We do it to show you that you don't need to starve yourself to lose weight and in fact, prolonged undereating will cause you to plateau and become unhealthy.

Sorry we did a little learning and realized how to be healthy and still stay sane.

Yes, when I was 24 years old as you are, I too, could eat much more. However, now I am 52 and having gone through the menopause, I find 1200 is just right :)

Isn't the above response juvenile? :smile: Yes, when I was 90-92 pounds at the age of 24 and able to eat literally anything I probably ate 1800 many days too. I didn't need to count calories so I have no idea.

The key is to figure out how to eat and maintain your weight when you're NO LONGER 24. I know plenty of formerly thin people who didn't change their habits.

Besides, a lot of the I-eat-1800-calories-a-day folks are overweight and losing (which is good). But if you have such vast self-knowledge and control how did you get overweight to begin with?

BTW, the OP is 26, please tell me how your over 50, menopausal, I'm no longer 24 so I can't eat anything anecdotal evidence is even applicable?

Seems like my advice at the age of 24, fairly active, and at a relatively normal to low BF% is probably a little more helpful in this situation. But maybe I'm biased.

Who me?

I am 52 years old, I am the middle one in my profile piccie there, I have gone through the menopause, finished it two years ago.

I am not sure why you are questioning my age and situation, or were you asking somebody else that?

You and toutmonpossible were all high fiving each other and patting each other on the back because you both decided that since shutupandlift is 24, then obviously her information about being able to eat more is irrelevant, and that she is juvenile for pointing it out. Do you really need this spelled out for you?

Right what it was, was that Shutupandlift said she ate 1800 calories and I said, that I was able to eat that amount too when I was 24 years old, however, now that I am over double that age and have gone through the menopause (which can entail slower weightloss), I chose to go on 1200 calories.

That was how it went.

High-fiving?? no I just liked toutmonpossible's posting that she posted before Shutupandlift replied with her 1800 calorie reply.

I'm 40 years old, short, and eat well over 1200 calories. My net is around 1500 right now, but due to exercise I generally clock in at around 2000 gross calories. I'm in this for the long haul rather than a quick fix, and as such I want to use the method that will leave me not only thinner than I started, but also fitter and healthier. I am choosing the method that will allow me to retain the greatest amount of LBM as I lose. That means that I'm lifting and eating enough to lose at a reasonable pace while not losing LBM.

Woops, I just saw where toutmouse said that formerly fat people (or currently?) can't give advice because we got fat. I suppose we aren't allowed to learn from our past mistakes and share what we've learned. Guess I'll just stay fat :sad:

I'm 47. 4'10". Have had three kids. Perimeno ish. I was eating at 1200 and couldn't lose more than trading the same pound or two back and forth. I tried at 1350. One pound every few weeks maybe. My only change has been raising cals to TDEE-20% (which for me is 1600) eating according to macros (High protein, high fat and lower carbs ~100 ish.. or whatever i want them to be as long as I hit my protein and fat macros). I am lifting 3 x a week around an hour or less each session. I am finally seeing consistent loss averaging one pound a week AND my body is getting more defined and tighter. I'll take the extra calories and the loss for $500, Alex.

<shrug>
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I too was eating 1300 calories and upped my calories to 1779 which is TDEE-20% just to give it a try because I started loosing at 1300 then stalled..I have already lost 4 lbs in July since starting to eat more. I have more energy and love it!
    [quo

Who me?

That was how it went.

I'm 47. 4'10". Have had three kids. Perimeno ish. I was eating at 1200 and couldn't lose more than trading the same pound or two back and forth. I tried at 1350. One pound every few weeks maybe. My only change has been raising cals to TDEE-20% (which for me is 1600) eating according to macros (High protein, high fat and lower carbs ~100 ish.. or whatever i want them to be as long as I hit my protein and fat macros). I am lifting 3 x a week around an hour or less each session. I am finally seeing consistent loss averaging one pound a week AND my body is getting more defined and tighter. I'll take the extra calories and the loss for $500, Alex.

<shrug>
    [/quote]
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If i eat 1200 a day im lucky to lose 1-2 pound a week i stay under 1000 and i lose an amount i am happy with not at goal yet but im getting close :) i think it also depends on your height your weight your metab rate x
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I did great on 1200 calories until I couldn't get over the cravings for any food. Unfortunately I didn't pick good food when I broke and ended up toe up in a chocolate cake....
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hi am worried i will gain by just eating 1200 calories a day but im full and don't feel the need to eat any more not even my net calories I have a personal trainer 5x a week will i still lose weight??

Has anyone met there goal weight just eating 1200 calories??

I've dropped ~100 lbs that way once... then I went out of my mind and ate everything in a 3 block radius for 3 months.

It is almost impossible to gain weight at 1200 calories a day unless you're under 4' tall and very very old.

Let me put it this way: a 100lb 5' tall women who is 26 years old... burns 1120 calories a day in a coma, unable to move. If you woke up and got out of bed and sat around doing NOTHING at all, at 100lbs, 5ft tall, and 26 years old... you would be around 1338 calories a day at a minimum... which means, you would lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet.

The only real exceptions to that are people with severe thyroid problems or several other debilitating medical conditions that you'd likely be quite aware of.

What is your height, weight, target weight, and age? I can run the numbers for your height/weight/age/target weight and let you know what you're looking at roughly.
  • shadus
    Options
    If i eat 1200 a day im lucky to lose 1-2 pound a week i stay under 1000 and i lose an amount i am happy with not at goal yet but im getting close :) i think it also depends on your height your weight your metab rate x

Just saying, at least by your picture... you ~shouldn't~ be losing more than 1-2lbs a week under any circumstance. The closer you get to your goal weight the less you will lose safely. Generally speaking it's only safe to lose 2-3lbs a week when you're >75lbs over weight... then 1-2 down to 20-30 lbs overweight... then 0.25-1lb till you're down to goal weight.
  • DPBELLS
    DPBELLS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much a tall, my local diet consultant I visited wants me to consume 1500 a day saying 1200 isn't enough in order to lose weight but the only way I can meet that target is to 'Hit' the brandy lol
  • freebirdxx7
    Options
    Look, it seriously all changes depending on (1) age (2) gender (3) height (4) current weight. Depending on these factors, you're going to have a different BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate (if you want to determine yours, plenty of online calculators are available). Your BMR is the amount of calories you will burn in one day while sedentary. If you're short and female, your BMR is going to be lower than if you're tall and male. Sad, but true. If my BMR is 1200kcal/day, and I burn about an extra 500 calories a day, my net BMR is 1700kcal/day. That means if I eat 1200kcal a day, I will be burning 500kcal a day. That means I will lose a pound every week (3500/500=7). On the other hand, your average male might have a BMR of 1700, without factoring in the extra energy expenditure. That means a diet of 1200kcal a day will probably have a significantly better result when he tries it then when I do.

Just some food for thought.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not at my goal yet. I have lost a substantial amount of weight eating that amount since Jan 2013.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Look, it seriously all changes depending on (1) age (2) gender (3) height (4) current weight. Depending on these factors, you're going to have a different BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate (if you want to determine yours, plenty of online calculators are available). Your BMR is the amount of calories you will burn in one day while sedentary. If you're short and female, your BMR is going to be lower than if you're tall and male. Sad, but true. If my BMR is 1200kcal/day, and I burn about an extra 500 calories a day, my net BMR is 1700kcal/day. That means if I eat 1200kcal a day, I will be burning 500kcal a day. That means I will lose a pound every week (3500/500=7). On the other hand, your average male might have a BMR of 1700, without factoring in the extra energy expenditure. That means a diet of 1200kcal a day will probably have a significantly better result when he tries it then when I do.

You're confusing your BMR for your TDEE. They're not the same thing.
  • freebirdxx7
    Options

You're confusing your BMR for your TDEE. They're not the same thing.

No, they are not the same thing, but I don't need a calculator for TDEE. If I know my BMR is 1200, I can do the rest of the math on my own. The TDEE is what happens when you factor in how much you're moving around every day. If I check the box that says "light exercise" when I'm using a calculator, it estimates that I burn an extra 500 calories on top of my BMR of 1200. Thus I get to the same guestimate number that I got to on my own - 1700kcal/day - for TDE (I just tested this on a TDEE/BMR calculator).

My point is that if you have a pedometer and know your BMR, you don't need anything else. You just add any extra expenditure to your BMR. Also, it doesn't change the point I was making. I prefer to use BMR in order to get to a more accurate number, but if somebody uses TDEE instead, the point I was trying to make still remains totally valid.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Just saying, at least by your picture... you ~shouldn't~ be losing more than 1-2lbs a week under any circumstance. The closer you get to your goal weight the less you will lose safely. Generally speaking it's only safe to lose 2-3lbs a week when you're >75lbs over weight... then 1-2 down to 20-30 lbs overweight... then 0.25-1lb till you're down to goal weight.
    This poster appears to have been logging for about a week and is drinking most of her calories in booze. Not sure she's terribly concerned about safe weight loss.

Wow.....

Saturday must have been a rough day.
  • shadus
    Options
    I haven't lost much a tall, my local diet consultant I visited wants me to consume 1500 a day saying 1200 isn't enough in order to lose weight but the only way I can meet that target is to 'Hit' the brandy lol

I'm curious how people starve to death if you can't lose weight by going too low on calories...
  • freebirdxx7
    Options

I'm curious how people starve to death if you can't lose weight by going too low on calories...

Well, because while starvation mode is real, it is not nearly as powerful as most people assume. I remember I once did some hardcore looking to starvation mode. The reality is, while your metabolism will slow down, a starvation diet will still result in far more weight loss than a higher calorie one. I believe studiers found that the metabolism doesn't slow down more than 20% in bad cases and 40% in even the most extreme ones.

The actual reason people warn against a starvation diet is because for the large majority of us, if we eat a starvation diet, we will eventually break down and binge. And when we do binge, we will gain the weight back very quickly and potentially gain even more weight back on top of that because starving can harm muscle tissue.

However, the idea that it is impossible to lose weight on a starvation diet is blatantly false. Yes, it is dangerous, and yes, you will almost definitely fail to maintain the diet, but if you somehow manage to follow it, you'll lose weight, all warnings of starvation mode aside.
  • shadus
    Options
    This poster appears to have been logging for about a week and is drinking most of her calories in booze. Not sure she's terribly concerned about safe weight loss.

Eh, at least she's honest.
  • wroberts1961
    wroberts1961 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes...but the more you excercise the more you can eat...remember -- 1200 calories is only your starting point..
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Previously, I lost eating 1200, and not eating back my exercise cals. Then started getting light headed every time I stood up or bent over. Then I gained it back when I wen to maintenance. This time I started at 1200, again, lightheaded, etc. so I've upped it to around 1600. Still losing. Not as fast, but I'm trying to make it easier once I actually get to maintenance.