Has anyone met there goal weight eating 1200 calories??

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    really?

Well yes, I run three times per week, between five and seven miles at a time and weights once per week. I work full-time and have a hubby, go out at weekends.. yes I am active :)
  • cschaub01
    cschaub01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating sufficient calories your body will not lose weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, and lose eating between 1800-2200. Because I understand math.

Funny how someone who's never even shown a photo can criticize others.

Love this

4'11" with sensible shoes on, a few months shy of 40 no idea what I weight right now maybe 120. I eat 1500-1700 calories to lose.

<
    that pic is about 2 weeks old.

I tried 1200 calories and my time at the gym was a waste because I was unable to put intensity. You eat 1200? I don't really care. I am just showing that things an be different
  • __Di__
    Options

Well I am on 1200 and losing weight, therefore I guess the calories must be sufficient :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Well I am on 1200 and losing weight, therefore I guess the calories must be sufficient :)

tumblr_mgg0pnfere1rfgh2ao1_500.gif
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You just might gain weight eating so little, when your body does not get enough food to fuel your body and metabolism is hoards everything. Eat more, your body will greatly love you and in thanks will burn fat. It's about what you eat. Not so much about "how much you eat"

1200 calories is actually considered starvation to most these days as that's what most females metabolism lie at. You need to eat slightly more than that, unless recommended by your doctor for a medical supervised diet... in order to keep and fuel up your metabolism. Be one with your body my dear, listen to it. It's your friend, not your enemy. Same goes with food when you use it right.

1200 calories = starvation??? Not for me! With a BMR below 1100 I am actually above that. I go to my weight goal eating 1200 calories, sometimes total, sometimes net. I have been on maintenance for two and half years and I eat a net of 1300 now because most of the time I do eat most of my exercise calories.

Please people, don't generalize. There are exceptions because not everybody has the same metabolism. Don't put every female or male under the same category or in the same square box. Accept and recognize the differences, even if you don't like it or agree with it.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

tumblr_mgle29YzAF1s2sn7wo1_250.gif
  • __Di__
    Options
    Amonkey what is not helpful? I am saying I am losing weight on 1200 calories, that is what the OP asked originally, was it not?
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes. Four times over.

I have lost and regained the same 13 pounds by doing the stupid 1200 calorie thing. That number is great for an extremely sedentary person/someone under medical advice, but for someone who is incredibly active, average height and young, it is basically starvation. And my body wasn't shy in saying so.

Now I know better, and eat 1,600 a day and am steadily losing a pound a week.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Umm... are we talking about age huh? Well, Marekdds is 60+ years old, eats 1700 calories daily PLUS her workout calories that she burns. She has lost 87 lbs without starving.

TAKE THAT!
  • __Di__
    Options
    Umm... are we talking about age huh? Well, Marekdds is 60+ years old, eats 1700 calories daily PLUS her workout calories that she burns. She has lost 87 lbs without starving.

TAKE THAT!

That's great seriously. As I said, everybody is individual, which is good, because it would not do to all be the same :laugh:
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

tumblr_mgle29YzAF1s2sn7wo1_250.gif

and also with you
  • taunto
    Options

TAKE THAT!

That's great seriously. As I said, everybody is individual, which is good, because it would not do to all be the same :laugh:

ok so earlier it was said that the factor between eating 1200 and eating 1800 was the age. Now, its been told that oh age isn't a factor. Everyone is just a snowflake. Gotcha
  • __Di__
    Options

TAKE THAT!

ok so earlier it was said that the factor between eating 1200 and eating 1800 was the age. Now, its been told that oh age isn't a factor. Everyone is just a snowflake. Gotcha

Not at all, I just stated my age, if somebody can eat more and lose weight on it, great! :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. I did lose weight on 1200 or less. The key word there is weight. Not necessarily fat. I lost some fat. Some muscle. I also lost strength, energy, endurance, the will to keep going, etc. I did reach my goal weight, but I was so disgusted with the results that I pretty much said, "F THIS!" I would rather eat whatever I wanted and maintain a little over my ideal weight than keep cutting calories to possibly lose a tiny bit more and still look mushy. I thought I had a crappy metabolism and was doomed to either be a little chunkier than I wanted, or eat minimally to get and stay thin. I didn't think there was another way.

THIS time around, when I started, it wasn't even about weight loss, because I was convinced it wouldn't happen. But I gave it a shot anyway. I lost weight at the same rate or faster on more calories (1350-1600 plus exercise calories, which was typically 1800-2200 total, sometimes more). I felt great. Lost mostly fat, so by the time I got to my goal weight, I was two sizes smaller than I was the last time I was that weight. Loads of energy. More fit than I ever thought possible. Went from feeling like I would die if I walked a couple miles to winning a couple medals in 5k and 10k races!

I've been maintaining within 10 pounds of my goal for a little over 2 years now.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP, yes, some people have met their goal weight eating 1200 calories. Is it always sustainable? Usually it is not, there are exceptions. You have read several examples where people have said that they lost eating at 1200 several times and that is because they put the weight back on when they began eating what they wanted to eat and what they had deprived themselves of for so long.

So some people are just telling you there are other options. You can also lose by eating at less of a deficit and that will allow you a more manageable lifestyle in the long wrong. It's up to you.
  • xMuscles
    xMuscles Posts: 24
    Options
    just let the people who think 1200 calories a day and cardio only continue on their merry way. once they get metabolic damage and/or adrenal fatigue, maybe they'll rethink it.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Just stopping by to rub it in your face that I eat 1800 calories on average per day and still lose weight... tra-la-la-la-la-la...

Seriously? We do it to show you that you don't need to starve yourself to lose weight and in fact, prolonged undereating will cause you to plateau and become unhealthy.

Sorry we did a little learning and realized how to be healthy and still stay sane.

Yes, when I was 24 years old as you are, I too, could eat much more. However, now I am 52 and having gone through the menopause, I find 1200 is just right :)

It is definitely down to the individual on what they want to consume.

Isn't the above response juvenile? :smile: Yes, when I was 90-92 pounds at the age of 24 and able to eat literally anything I probably ate 1800 many days too. I didn't need to count calories so I have no idea.

The key is to figure out how to eat and maintain your weight when you're NO LONGER 24. I know plenty of formerly thin people who didn't change their habits.

Besides, a lot of the I-eat-1800-calories-a-day folks are overweight and losing (which is good). But if you have such vast self-knowledge and control how did you get overweight to begin with?

yes, that is my impression too :(

BTW, the OP is 26, please tell me how your over 50, menopausal, I'm no longer 24 so I can't eat anything anecdotal evidence is even applicable?

Seems like my advice at the age of 24, fairly active, and at a relatively normal to low BF% is probably a little more helpful in this situation. But maybe I'm biased.

Who me?

I am 52 years old, I am the middle one in my profile piccie there, I have gone through the menopause, finished it two years ago.

I am not sure why you are questioning my age and situation, or were you asking somebody else that?

Are you really this obtuse?

You and toutmonpossible were all high fiving each other and patting each other on the back because you both decided that since shutupandlift is 24, then obviously her information about being able to eat more is irrelevant, and that she is juvenile for pointing it out. Do you really need this spelled out for you?

No, it was nothing to do with that.

Right what it was, was that Shutupandlift said she ate 1800 calories and I said, that I was able to eat that amount too when I was 24 years old, however, now that I am over double that age and have gone through the menopause (which can entail slower weightloss), I chose to go on 1200 calories.

That was how it went.

High-fiving?? no I just liked toutmonpossible's posting that she posted before Shutupandlift replied with her 1800 calorie reply.
  • taunto
    Options
    just let the people who think 1200 calories a day and cardio only continue on their merry way. once they get metabolic damage and/or adrenal fatigue, maybe they'll rethink it.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't mind letting people do whatever they want but when these folks give others bad info (AKA, the noobs who recently joined the site and don't know any better), thats when I actually bother.

Yes, you can lose at 1200 calories. You can lose at 200 calories. The starving kids in Africa (and the models and actresses in LA) are an example. But, like it has been proven over and over again, you can lose weight at a decent amount of calories too that you can easily figure out (lookup TDEE minus 20% or ask somebody)

The difference between 1200 calories and eating a little under TDEE? at 1200 or under you start to lose a lot of muscle too. Whereas at a little higher with decent workouts, you retain some muscle.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't mind letting people do whatever they want but when these folks give others bad info (AKA, the noobs who recently joined the site and don't know any better), thats when I actually bother.

Yes, you can lose at 1200 calories. You can lose at 200 calories. The starving kids in Africa (and the models and actresses in LA) are an example. But, like it has been proven over and over again, you can lose weight at a decent amount of calories too that you can easily figure out (lookup TDEE minus 20% or ask somebody)

The difference between 1200 calories and eating a little under TDEE? at 1200 or under you start to lose a lot of muscle too. Whereas at a little higher with decent workouts, you retain some muscle.
    knowledge. Do with it what you will. He speaks the truth.