I am so sick to death of this!!!!

Options

Replies

• shortmomma81
    Options
    The thing is EVERYONE likes to play doctor, especially if their way gave THEM results. What we don't realize is that we're all different. I have days were I am just not hungry, and I have days were even 2000 barely cuts it. You do what feels good to your body, people are always going to criticize and one must learn to blur them out per-say.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Because seriously, why would someone that loses at 2000 calories be jealous of someone that loses at 1200?

My question exactly.

I was always hangry eating 1200 the first time on MFP. And that's why I always quit...I underate, felt miserable and couldn't adhere to the lack of fuel.

So much happier eating 2,100. :3

Yes. I HATED eating 1200. I failed that miserably (literally) over and over and over and over.... I was sooo hangry. lol Stomach was growling half the time. Then I order a pizza and eat half of it. OMG food heaven. And I just consumed 1500 in pizza alone.

Took a break, came back, researched on MFP to see what worked for people who lost big, found calculators, did the work. I seriously went to 10-15 different TDEE/BMR calculators just to see if the numbers were similar. Then I experimented. I am still experimenting.

But 1200 was NOT for me. And I didn't lose much because I couldn't maintain it. There was no way I could keep that up as a lifestyle change! I LOVE FOOD. ALL OF IT. I wanna eat it all. So I will go with the plan that lets me eat it ALL and still lose weight. haha :bigsmile:

No way in hell am I jealous of people eating 1200...... Thats just hilarious...:laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Forget what others have to say unless it is positive. I am also supposed to stick with 1200 cals per day and that came from fit pal and my doctor as I am only 4'11" so that is correct for my body type and age ect. You can have a very healthy diet and only consume 1200 cals per day it is very easy infact if you eat the nutritious foods you are supposed to be eating!! I think if what you are doing works for you then you should stick with it!!! and it seems to be as you are down quite a bit :) I say keep up the great work and ignore the negative people!!

just curious, but what are the settings for your fat and protein macros?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Eh, ignore them. They are hungry.:bigsmile:

Some people wish they could eat closer to 1200 they'd probably see more results, but they just can't restrain themselves to do it. Some may be envious? And it comes out in a crappy way.:flowerforyou:

what-no-gif.gif

tumblr_inline_mnf277r6f01qz4rgp_zps82418467.gif
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I personally could care less what anything thinks about how many calories I net per day. I eat continuously throughout the day, eat very clean for the most part, work out, and don't usually eat my work out calories. I am never hungry with what I eat and actually have more energy now than before I started following a plan. I'm a grown woman and know what my body requires. It is also not my business what another consumes.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't see this much. I see people reacting to those who are netting 1000 calories or less, mostly.

I guess that the people responding want to let others know that they can consume more calories and still lose. Often, when people restrict their caloric intake drastically, it sets them up for failure, because they aren't able to maintain it.
    Ok I have a question for you then? Is it more impossible for the person who has lost weight eating 1200 calories than the person who lost weight eating 2000 calories to keep it off? If so why? Just an honest question because I really do want to maintain the weight I have lost. This isn't really a diet for me in my mind but a lifestyle change so I plan on eating this way the rest of my life.

There are a variety of studies that have shown a rather crazy number of people will regain weight from eating lower calories for a "diet, "or even just treating something as a "diet" than a lifestyle change. A variety of reasons exist for the danger of regain, from the purely physical (LBM loss, hormone imbalance, etc.) to the more mental (restriction vs. binge, unhealthy views towards food, etc.). 1200 calories is considered the low end of "healthy" calorie eating, and even then, is an average. People who lose weight at a higher amount of calories drop the risk of losing lean body mass (muscle), messing with their metabolisms, and don't have to deal with as many roller coaster issues many people experience at lower calories: plateaus, loss of muscle, issues of water retention when upping calories, etc.

Plus, there's more than just "TDEE" involved with the controversy over the number 1200: one's BMR, the basal metabolic rate, which is the amount of calories one would need to keep one's body alive if there were in a coma, is rarely as low as people estimate. It is more times than not (in the case of MFP), higher than 1200.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well on 1200 too, although I do go higher on some days...still a deficit, but less of one.

I get tired of the blanket prescription to "eat more" that a lot of people give to the "why am I not losing" threads. I have seen several threads where someone has said "I eat 1200 calories a day and I'm not losing weight," but then you go to her diary, and half of it is not filled out. In my opinion the problem isn't that she's eating 1200 calories a day, the problem is that she's likely eating a lot more than that and is lying to herself about it. But there will always be half a dozen responses telling this person that she is in "starvation mode," and she needs to "eat more to lose weight." So I figure she goes and raises her calories to 1800 calories a day, and still only keeps track half the time, which seems unlikely to work.

As far as not getting enough nutrients on the 1200 calorie a day plan, I eat way more fruits and vegetables than I ever did when I ate whatever I ate before I started keeping track, because they have fewer calories than a lot of things. I'm more careful about getting enough protein too. Before I'd blow a 1000 calories on a piece of cheese cake with strawberries and consider that my fruit for the day.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Some people wish they could eat closer to 1200 they'd probably see more results, but they just can't restrain themselves to do it. Some may be envious? And it comes out in a crappy way.:flowerforyou:

:huh: lol

I thought I seen it all and then I saw a diary with 35-200cal. It's sad. So OP, if you're satisfied eating 1200 FOREVER, I could care less
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mnf277r6f01qz4rgp_zps82418467.gif

This gif is my whole life! :laugh:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Lolwhat?
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    I heard to eat above BMR but below TDEE?? I don't know your stats but I am 5'5 and about 120 lbs and without moving I need about 1600, Ive lost 9 inches eating 1800-2000. You must be a lot shorter than me to have such a low caloric need?? I just think if you can power you body, eat more and still lose why not? That way its not a "diet" but a lifestyle change. Here is a blurb from a website:

"Here’s how it goes: your body needs a certain amount of calories to work. This is known as your Basal Metabolic Rate. This differs from person to person based on how active you are. A person who has a desk job will have a lower metabolic rate than, say, someone who works in a machine shop and is constantly moving. Generally speaking, you need between 1600-2200 calories a day, unless you’re an athlete, in which case, you are undergoing training and know all this stuff already.

BMR is the calorie used by one’s body even if they lay in bed all day long. It’s the calories needed to be alive (breathing, heart beat, digestion etc..). Since most people don’t do nothing all day long, their body uses more calories. To know that amount, you have to multiply your BMR by a coefficient depending on your activity level.

You should never go under your BMR because it basically means your body don’t have enough calories to function normally so your metabolism slows down and you get energy from your muscle instead of fat (fat main usage is protection. when starving, it gets used after muscle)."
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Forget what others have to say unless it is positive. I am also supposed to stick with 1200 cals per day and that came from fit pal and my doctor as I am only 4'11" so that is correct for my body type and age ect. You can have a very healthy diet and only consume 1200 cals per day it is very easy infact if you eat the nutritious foods you are supposed to be eating!! I think if what you are doing works for you then you should stick with it!!! and it seems to be as you are down quite a bit :) I say keep up the great work and ignore the negative people!!

You're going to miss out on a lot of good advice and general knowledge doing that..

But best of luck to you in your health and fitness. :flowerforyou:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

what-no-gif.gif

Love the gif.

Ok so the envious was a little sarcastic.

But the other part, um....if they arent' losing at say 14-1800 cals, then um what would seem logical, eat less move more..... everybody focuses on the move more....some people just cant, they move, to one thing from another but can't get in enough "motion" whatever you want to label it (gymtime, walking, dvds etc...) as to allow them to lose weight.

So they must logically eat less.

Eh.... :ohwell:
  • devriesers
    devriesers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is so dead on. :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

what-no-gif.gif

Love the gif.

But the other part, um....if they arent' losing at say 14-1800 cals, then um what would seem logical, eat less move more..... everybody focuses on the move more....some people just cant, they move, to one thing from another but can't get in enough "motion" whatever you want to label it (gymtime, walking, dvds etc...) as to allow them to lose weight.

I don't even...
    I can't even...
    I have lost the ability to even...
  • plserio
    plserio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently had a MFP friend mention to me that my 1200 calorie goal might be too little. So, I think I can relate to your complaint. I think people should ask more questions before telling others what to do. I believe this app/site is meant to be a help and accountability measure for all of us and so I do understand why people 'tell others what to do', but they really should first ask then share knowledge. What do you think?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

what-no-gif.gif

Love the gif.

But the other part, um....if they arent' losing at say 14-1800 cals, then um what would seem logical, eat less move more..... everybody focuses on the move more....some people just cant, the move, to one thing from another but can't get in enough "motion" whatever you want to label it (gymtime, walking, dvds etc...) as to allow them to lose weight.

No, logic dictates that your body must expend x amount of calories in order to maintain it's critical functions and y amount of calories to support your daily activity and maintain your weight. x+y=TDEE In order to lose weight, you must eat below that TDEE mark. Eating TOO LOW causes problems such as hormonal imbalances, lack of energy, and a tendency to binge eat, which is a psychological blow to most people. Furthermore, you are not developing the healthy eating habits that you will need once you hit your maintenance weight. For most people, a 1200 calorie diet is a recipe for the lose/gain cycle they have been stuck in for years.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

what-no-gif.gif

Love the gif.

or... stay with me on this... RELAX THEIR WEIGHT LOSS EXPECTATIONS to match the reality of their situation.

e.g., if you're stuck in a cast for 8 weeks and can't do your cardio, then perhaps 2+lbs/week loss rate is a bit overly optimistic.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options

what-no-gif.gif

Love the gif.

Usually those who are not losing on as *little* as 1400-1800 are not actually counting their calories correctly. Either they're underestimating on calories consumed or overestimating on calories burned. This is where a food scale and some self-realization come in handy to say "Hey, ya know what, I'm eating more than I say I'm eating. I should stop that."
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    It is a little hard to misconstrue " I am going to bash my head in" because someone is talking again about eat 1200 calories.....I just think that if people don't like it or are sick of it shouldn't maybe say anything. Some people are new to CMFP and don't know countless other people may have asked the same questions. I see posts a lot of people saying the same things. I don't get the urge to criticize people for it.
    I think some people get majorly frustrated as you stated above is:
    1. They eat less than 1200 calories in order to lose weight faaaast.
    2. They outright reject advice from people who suggest them to eat more and stil lose
    3. Come back in few days with thread ..plateaued and frustrated!!

So its like a cycle. If people net 1200 and eat back exercise calories and feel they can continue this lifestyle forever, there is no harm. Its our life, only we can decide whats good for us:flowerforyou: