I am so sick to death of this!!!!

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This is some what relevant.

http://www.nature.com/news/calorie-restriction-falters-in-the-long-run-1.11297

It doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as they are the right kind and you have plenty of energy throughout the day.

LFWEbS9.gif

BWrO7Ur.gif

ieo7gqs.gif

waCuYvh.gif

tDWic.gif
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am just replying: Per MFP my Fat: 40, Protein: 45, Carbs: 165 and Sugar: 24 (This is what I have the most trouble with!!):happy:
  • GLady1980
    Options
    Forget what others have to say unless it is positive. I am also supposed to stick with 1200 cals per day and that came from fit pal and my doctor as I am only 4'11" so that is correct for my body type and age ect. You can have a very healthy diet and only consume 1200 cals per day it is very easy infact if you eat the nutritious foods you are supposed to be eating!! I think if what you are doing works for you then you should stick with it!!! and it seems to be as you are down quite a bit :) I say keep up the great work and ignore the negative people!!

just curious, but what are the settings for your fat and protein macros?
    Hi There as per MFP my Fat:40, Protein:45, Carbs:165, Sugar:24 (This is what I have the most trouble with!!!):happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for the never ending 1200 debate...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    *Yawn*
    And I am sick to death of people posting this sort of topic.
    Seriously, why get your panties in such a knot over what others think ?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as they are the right kind and you have plenty of energy throughout the day.

this post is the perfect post to offer another "friday" gif as a response.
    Uh_wtf_gif.gif

so with that logic then, it doesnt matter how much gas you put in your car...as long as its the "right kind" of gas?

where is this magical energy going to come from?

so I can eat 5000 calories over maintenance a day and I will not gain as long as they are the "right" calories......would the right calories come from Unicorn meat and use pixie dust to season?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

kurt-what-gif.gif

tumblr_m5q4s5NsTS1r8we7o.gif
  • GLady1980
    Options
    Forget what others have to say unless it is positive. I am also supposed to stick with 1200 cals per day and that came from fit pal and my doctor as I am only 4'11" so that is correct for my body type and age ect. You can have a very healthy diet and only consume 1200 cals per day it is very easy infact if you eat the nutritious foods you are supposed to be eating!! I think if what you are doing works for you then you should stick with it!!! and it seems to be as you are down quite a bit :) I say keep up the great work and ignore the negative people!!

You're going to miss out on a lot of good advice and general knowledge doing that..

But best of luck to you in your health and fitness. :flowerforyou:

I actually welcome advise because you can definately learn a lot of valuable information but I just think that if someone is going to slam someone and be all negative then it is not worth listening too. Thats all :happy:
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm a former Marine...I come off rather gruff usually...because I am rather gruff usually...regardless of topic...I'm rather gruff in real life too. I personally try to refrain from saying anything unless they are netting super low calories...those poor girls scare me with their 500 net calories per day but they think they're being "healthy"...they're just destroying themselves.

Yea same here. This is scary stuff. Runway models aren't exactly "healthy."
    1200 is just a bit low for almost anyone. Unless, you're competing
  • born2drum
    Options
    in...for the never ending 1200 debate...
  • born2drum
    Options
    I heard to eat above BMR but below TDEE?? I don't know your stats but I am 5'5 and about 120 lbs and without moving I need about 1600, Ive lost 9 inches eating 1800-2000. You must be a lot shorter than me to have such a low caloric need?? I just think if you can power you body, eat more and still lose why not? That way its not a "diet" but a lifestyle change. Here is a blurb from a website:

"Here’s how it goes: your body needs a certain amount of calories to work. This is known as your Basal Metabolic Rate. This differs from person to person based on how active you are. A person who has a desk job will have a lower metabolic rate than, say, someone who works in a machine shop and is constantly moving. Generally speaking, you need between 1600-2200 calories a day, unless you’re an athlete, in which case, you are undergoing training and know all this stuff already.

BMR is the calorie used by one’s body even if they lay in bed all day long. It’s the calories needed to be alive (breathing, heart beat, digestion etc..). Since most people don’t do nothing all day long, their body uses more calories. To know that amount, you have to multiply your BMR by a coefficient depending on your activity level.

You should never go under your BMR because it basically means your body don’t have enough calories to function normally so your metabolism slows down and you get energy from your muscle instead of fat (fat main usage is protection. when starving, it gets used after muscle)."

You can't tell people who KNOW they need 1200 calories to lose weight but know their body needs more. YOU ARE 100% correct but OP doesn't think we're smart enough.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Everyone's body and circumstances are different. You have to do what's right for you. And if all these condescending know-it-alls are "fitness experts" why are they even here? LOL.
  • Oqueenjudy
    Oqueenjudy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You go girl!!! I also eat 1200 cal. a day! Those people are probably jealous over your strong will to do something good for YOU.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Once I went on 1300 calories a day for about a week. Then I added exercise calories and it was 1800 calories. I was cool with that. But, I sure wouldn't have been if I didn't get those exercise calories.

I think that is where most people have a problem it's the ones that don't eat their calories from exercise. Then they post they are hungry and they want strategies to help with the hunger pains. Then someone says eat moar food and they get their nose out of joint.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am just replying: Per MFP my Fat: 40, Protein: 45, Carbs: 165 and Sugar: 24 (This is what I have the most trouble with!!):happy:

your fats and protein seem a bit low. are you meeting those numbers for fats and proteins every day? or are you reaching your 1200 calorie limit before you do?

generally, you want to set your fats at 0.35g/lb of bodyweight and protein at 0.8g/lb of LBM. these are daily minimums to be met.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    I feel the same way. Everyone's body and circumstances are different. You have to do what's right for you. And if all these condescending know-it-alls are "fitness experts" why are they even here? LOL.

i truly don't understand posts like this.

would you go to a juggling forum and tell everyone that you planned to learn how to juggle by juggling razor sharp machetes and expect everyone to applaud you on your brilliant plan? of course not. people would tell you to put down the damned machetes and start with rubber balls instead.

why do you think that the MFP community is supposed to remain silent when people propose potentially harmful courses of action for their weight loss?
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    As far as punching in the right info on MFP settings... what is their definition of sedentary? Because I sit at home most days and just do normal housework and cooking and such and exercise isnt always consistent...

So is this Sedentary and eat back exercise calories or lightly active??

I hear people say that Sedentary is like being in a coma (which if you were you couldnt log into MFP in the first place, lol) I think people pick sedentary when they may not really be... but what is the true description of it here???
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    As far as punching in the right info on MFP settings... what is their definition of sedentary? Because I sit at home most days and just do normal housework and cooking and such and exercise isnt always consistent...

I hear people say that Sedentary is like being in a coma (which if you were you couldnt log into MFP in the first place, lol) I think people pick sedentary when they may not really be... but what is the true description of it here???

sedentary is the amount of daily activity you'd have if you worked at a desk. that means trips to the bathroom. brushing your teeth. tapping your foot. walking to the mailbox to check your mail. etc. it's really just an estimate for all of these little activities that are hard to quantify. in a coma, your multiplier would be 1.0 (100% of your BMR). for sedentary, it's 1.2. that means, 120% of your BMR as your estimate to account for all of these little activities. i think it's best to UNDER-estimate your activity level and track your results. you can always adjust your activity level up later if your results show you to be more active than sedentary. this way you won't be overestimating your TDEE and wondering why you're not losing as fast as expected.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

sedentary is the amount of daily activity you'd have if you worked at a desk. that means trips to the bathroom. brushing your teeth. tapping your foot. walking to the mailbox to check your mail. etc. it's really just an estimate for all of these little activities that are hard to quantify. in a coma, your multiplier would be 1.0 (100% of your BMR). for sedentary, it's 1.2. that means, 120% of your BMR as your estimate to account for all of these little activities. i think it's best to UNDER-estimate your activity level and track your results. you can always adjust your activity level up later if your results show you to be more active than sedentary. this way you won't be overestimating your TDEE and wondering why you're not losing as fast as expected.

^^ Thanks so much for the detailed reply... answered my ? :happy:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't sit here and belittle anybody who eats 1200 cals per day. But when they start complaining in the forums and on their statuses that they are gaining or not seeing the body composition changes they want to see, and I see them doing vigorous exercise and they are over 5'2, I tell them that they need to eat more. Especially if you're building muscle and hoping to burn fat.

Congrats if you can eat that and lose weight. But what is your body fat percentage? Do you feel you can eat 1200 cals for the rest of your life? If so, then hat's off to you! But when your done losing and return to eating "normally" and see that you start gaining, then maybe 1200 cals isn't the answer.

I lost my weight in the 80s and didn't even count cals let alone eat 1200 cals. I practiced portion control, frequent eating, and exercise. And it's lasted me for the better part of 20 yrs...