Why don't I ever pull big numbers?

Options
124»

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    More you lose the slower it gets for sure press on and keep up the great work
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in 6 months, beat that one XD

metabolic rate, nutritional levels and general amount of adipose tissue are three factors to think about too :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. It could be a few reasons why they are. I know some of my friends who are heavier than me & unhealthier than me drop heaps in the first few weeks & there I am still slowly plodding along.
  • beth292926
    Options
    I heard that a pound of body fat amounts to 3,500 calories. If, to lose 2lbs per week you manage to not eat or successfully burn 7000 calories you wouldn't normally not eat/burn, I would say you're doing well!

Losing 4lb a week can be done on a starvation diet, or one where you spend half you day in the gym (burning 300ish extra calories per hour, it would take over 20 hours to burn 7000 calories), but I don't fancy it! The only times I have ever lost that much weight in a week, is when I've been having an enthusiastic week plus I've just stopped being premenstrual – so I think most of the weight loss has actually been letting go of water retention.

Finally, people who lose weight very quickly tend to end up with saggy skin and stretch marks... losing weight slowly gives your skin more time to adjust naturally and they may well have starved their body of some essential nutrients.

Keep up the good work and feel good about yourself – a pound a week is great – means that in just over three months you'll have lost a whole stone in weight (and likely, a whole dress size)!!!! Congratulations! :-)
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I weighed 165 in January. In February I started MFP. I totally revamped my food choices. I was eating horrible. I drank a 2 liter of coke a day and ate crap food all day long. I slathered everything in butter and even added more as I took bites. I did not exercise at all. I am surprised I didn't weigh a lot more. Anyway once I replaced the crap food with healthy food and quit the coke and started exercising, I lost big numbers in the beginning. I lost 12lbs that first month. Things have certainly slowed down now, it's more like 2lbs a month. So I think they are either just starting their weight loss, started out weighing a lot more, or are stretching the truth a bit.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What most of us really want to do is look better/fitter/stronger/healthier.

The best way of doing that is to lower body fat % in a slow yet sustainable way whilst holding onto as much lean mass as possible. A 140lb woman who is 18% fat is going to look a darn sight better than a 140lb woman who is 30% fat after all.

There are too options re the scales if they genuine:

They are pulling big numbers as they have a LOT to loose.

Or they are pulling big numbers but not loosing the right sort of weight. I.e. loosing lots of water but little/no fat, if sustained then eating to little so loosing too much lean body mass etc.

And there is always the option that they are lying or cheating about how much they've lost. Hell if I weighed myself in jeans and a jumper and then took some laxatives (and waited for them to work!) and weighed myself with nothing on I could claim a 'weightloss' of 7lb an hour!
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love how many people read the OP's original post, and automatically presumed she was moaning about her rate of loss.

I read it as she was happy with her loss rate, but was genuinely asking a question, as to why people lose at faster rates than others. I think thats a fair enough question to ask, I don't see why she is getting jumped on if I'm honest.

OP, I think it would be down to many different factors, exercise, cal intake, blar blar, lifestyle, the list is endless really. We are all special snowflakes at the end of the day and lose differently I suppose.

I read it the same way and offered a personal example of doing something that was stupid and borderline deadly. It was my way of saying something along the lines of, "yeah, people can lose weight faster if they do something stupid and put their life in danger." and of course I not only pointed out my mistake but that I learned from my mistakes and am now happy with losing whatever I lose when I lose it.
  • fpuckett2383
    fpuckett2383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love how many people read the OP's original post, and automatically presumed she was moaning about her rate of loss.

I read it as she was happy with her loss rate, but was genuinely asking a question, as to why people lose at faster rates than others. I think thats a fair enough question to ask, I don't see why she is getting jumped on if I'm honest.

OP, I think it would be down to many different factors, exercise, cal intake, blar blar, lifestyle, the list is endless really. We are all special snowflakes at the end of the day and lose differently I suppose.

THANK YOU! This was exactly what I was asking. Literally the first line of the post was "I want to make it clear that this is a not a whiney "I'm not losing post". Seriously. I'm never using the forums again.
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! This was exactly what I was asking. Literally the first line of the post was "I want to make it clear that this is a not a whiney "I'm not losing post". Seriously. I'm never using the forums again.

I just went back through and read every post and I think most of them were neutral to encouraging. There were a couple of rude posts, but, not many. My late wife, my step daughter and I all have very different ways of looking at things. My late wife used to see encouragement and good in places I couldn't. My step daughter will often see criticism and bad in everything. I'm more in the middle.

It would be interesting to see the results if everyone who posted on this thread rated all the replies as "encouraging", "neutral" or "critical". It would say more about the reader than the poster, but, I think the results would still be interesting even if they were anonymous.

Maybe that is a suggestion for MFP, offer buttons to rate posts as encouraging, neutral or critical and only the poster could see the results. It could help people develop more encouraging posting skills.
  • JJBurton825
    Options
    I wish I could lose 1.5lbs a week! My husband cut ONE thing out of his eating habits and started exercising 30 minutes 5 days a week and lost 30 stinking pounds in 5 weeks!!! I do that and NOTHING!!! I know it stinks, but just keep plugging a way.