DETOX RECOMMENDATIONS WELCOME PLEASE.....

Options

Replies

• MetamorphicButterfly
    Options

I think you are missing our points. Start eating better, watching what you eat. Your body will do the rest of 'detoxing' your system.

I wish it were that simple - but i will try - nothing else i can do i suppose
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Isn't it more likely that after constricting yourself to a "detox" fir a few days, it will make you want to binge even more afterwards?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast. Eat several smaller meals per day so you don't get too hungry. Count your calories, and move more. Walk, ride a bike, dance, do yoga... Cleanse by bathing regularly, which you probably already do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OK so my liver and kidneys do a great job. But i would like to do a DETOX ! Any ideas? Please help me the bingeing is out of control

As I said before.....
    Get a hold of the binge eating and ditch the idea of a detox.

OK. How do you get a hold of the bingeing??????

Figure out triggers and the signs that lead you to binge and stop them. It takes figuring out what works for you. What helps is that I log before eating anything. Not pre-log but literally log just before I eat. This helps stop me and make me review what exactly I'm doing.

Going for walks, learning to deal with problems versus trying to eat them away etc.

It is possible. And as I said before, if you can't do it on your own, get help from a counselor.

But if you are that insistent of covering up the problem instead of fixing it, there are many groups dedicated to detoxing and cleanses here on MFP. I suggest joining them. Also, looking up reviews on Amazon, etc may help.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    It might help to set your calories at maintenance level for a week or so, and eat all those calories. Spread them out a bit throughout the day. If you are bingeing because you have been underfeeding yourself, it might allow you to feel more satisfied and should help reduce or eliminate the urge to stuff yourself with food when you finally allow yourself to eat.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I think you are missing our points. Start eating better, watching what you eat. Your body will do the rest of 'detoxing' your system.

I wish it were that simple - but i will try - nothing else i can do i suppose

Unfortunately there is no magic pill, magic drink, etc. to help out. A lot of us have been there and have been through where you have been. I'm sure we aren't giving you the answers you are looking for, but we are just trying to help.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use dandelion tea, splash of cranberry juice (no sugar added, in the heath foods section, and a squeeze of lemon in a liter of water. But with the binge eating I used to be really bad...finding better ways to manage stress helps. Working out, and drinking a lot of water. At least 80oz per day helps with cravings. Talk to someone when you have those urges...we all need support!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have urges, cravings, etc. I throw a stick or two of gum in my mouth or even brush my teeth if I'm at home. It may be a temporary fix, but it may help me get over the craving and get me to my next meal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you eat most of your calories in the evening, that's fine. Just plan it that way.

Not everyone does best with the whole concept of "six small meals spread out over the course of the day." Some do best fasting all day and eating all their calories at once. I usually eat about 300 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch, and 1000 or more for dinner and an evening snack.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Norovirus, Stomach Flu, West Nile Virus, First Trimester Pregnancy, Cycloporiasis...
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get professional help.

Please take this advice. Your problem is binge eating and "detoxing" will not fix that.

"Detoxing" is one of the most harmful things that the mainstream fitness industry has produced and anyone who endorses it is making money at the expense of public health.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go see a therapist for your binge eating problem. It's a symptom of a deeper, underlying issue. Go talk to a professional if you want to get to the bottom of it.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you eat most of your calories in the evening, that's fine. Just plan it that way.

Not everyone does best with the whole concept of "six small meals spread out over the course of the day." Some do best fasting all day and eating all their calories at once. I usually eat about 300 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch, and 1000 or more for dinner and an evening snack.

I tend to put off a great number of calories until the evening, too. I suggested spreading things out only because the OP suggested she was under-eating during the day and then bingeing in the evening because of it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I am looking to detox my system - i have been eating too much junk and need to break the habit for good

The problem is that a "detox" is not going to help you stop bingeing. At all. Do you really think that if you spend three days just drinking fruit juice or whatever, then you're going to be cured of bingeing for good?

Detoxes are scams set up by the diet industry to make money. Plain and simple. Your body does an excellent job of detoxing itself, you do not need to follow any special program.

It sounds like your true problem is binge eating. If it happens consistently and you're out of control, you could even have a disorder like binge eating disorder. I would definitely recommend that you seek professional help if you can. Even if not, you need to spend some solid time getting to the root of your problem. What causes you to eat this way? Is it stress? Is it a certain emotion? Is it that you're desperate to lose weight, so you eat too little, then get out of control and binge? Whatever it is, get to the bottom of it and start working on a solution. Unfortunately, it's a process. It's going to take time. No one on this forum can magically fix it, and a detox isn't going to fix it either.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Go get your liver and your kidneys back from the organ donation bank and tell them you really need them for your detox. I'm actually surprised you haven't died yet without them. Don't eat or drink anything until they've been properly replaced and then your body detoxification can proceed as normal.

I think we all learned something here today. I know a lot of us were starting to think they were vestigial organs with all the hype about this fad cleanse or that fad cleanse but we really do need our vital organs so that they can carry out their vital processes.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I see where you're coming from.. I did this once. I went on a 10 day liquid diet which I won't name. It was very hard at first, but through it I felt happy because it felt really great to finally have control. I was proud of my accomplishment. Although, by day ten I was literally crying because I couldn't do it anymore. The "diet" had you drink salt water every day so you could sit on the toilet and pee out your butt. It gets really tiring.

I lost about 15 lbs.. gained 5 or 6 back immediately..and then the rest followed eventually.

What I'm saying is that, I think you are just craving the feeling of being in control of your appetite, life, etc... You can do this in better ways than some crazy cleanse or liquid diet. Follow the advice everyone else has given you. Make it a goal to do one positive thing every day..whether it's a healthy breakfast, grabbing for an apple instead of chips, or going to the gym.

You don't need a cleanse. You already know what to do.. eat better, and exercise more. Good luck to you!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am looking to detox my system - i have been eating too much junk and need to break the habit for good

And that is what your liver and kidneys do. You can help them by drinking lots of water.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I tend to put off a great number of calories until the evening, too. I suggested spreading things out only because the OP suggested she was under-eating during the day and then bingeing in the evening because of it.

That's where an open food diary would really help. It depends on what the binging actually looks like. Some people eat 1300 calories instead of 1200 and think they binged, even though they probably should be eating 1500 or more. Some people eat 3000 calories over their goal when they binge.

If it's true binge eating, then, yeah... seeing a doctor or therapist is a good plan.

If it's just a matter of the munchies and slightly exceeding your calorie goal, then that's just something that requires some trial and error to find the right number of calories and the right meal timing for you.

Either way, "detox" isn't the answer. Replacing bad habits with better habits doesn't require any kind of detox.