IIFYM eating.......really???

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

So I typed everything in again with the Katch-Mccardle and it gave me a more realistic number. However it is still higher calories then MFP suggests. So is there a way I can type in the calories and other macros I want here at MFP?

It's higher because the TDEE number you are getting is including a nightly 3 mile walk and is increasing your required calories accordingly. MFP is not. MFP expects you to log that exercise each time you do it and then eat additional calories to make up for the exercise deficit.

This...MFP is a NEAT method calculator and is going to give you a NEAT method calorie goal that is net of exercise (you log exercise and eat those calories back. You're comparing numbers from a TDEE calculator to a NEAT method calculator...it's apples and oranges...yes, both are fruit, but different kinds of fruit entirely. Also, if you put 20% in a TDEE calculator, that equates to roughly 1 Lb per week loss...so if you put in two pounds per week in MFP, that's also going to throw it off.

You just need to pick a method and roll with it. I'd agree that the 3,111 calories TDEE seems way high...my TDEE is around 2,800 and I lift, run 5 and 10Ks, do a lot of walking, cycle, and swim.

I personally find the TDEE method easier because it just averages all of that exercise out over the week and I just eat the same calories day to day more or less, rather than logging and eating back and my calorie goal changing all of the time. Both methods are completely viable. And, as others have said, IIFYM is a philosophy, not a calorie number...but I'm getting that you used the IIFYM websit so I understand the confusion.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes TDEE and IIFYM works for me.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i personally stay away from IIFYM...that's just me

how so?

yea how so?

i generally try to eat "good" foods
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

oh geez.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    <popcorn gif>
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

oh-boy-o.gif
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No, 2500 is not an out of line TDEE for a mother of 4 on the go all day. If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a fitbit and see what your adjustment is at the end of the day. I know that MFP tells me that my maintenance amount is 1749, my actual TDEE is around 2500.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

Is there something I do not know about good food fitting into macros?
  • Kmh45126
    Kmh45126 Posts: 21
    Options

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....

Can I just say, that's freakin awesome!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

Yeah, so do I.

And I use IIFYM to judge whether or not those foods will... uh... fit my frickin' macros.

One can eat only "good foods" and still not eat a good balance of them.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me. I went from being tired and constantly feeling crappy and pudgy to getting to goal. I did the whole under-fueled only putting 'good' things in my body thing for a while and ended up stressing over which foods were holy enough to put in me and ended up malnourished. I'm happier healthier and eat cookies now.

Results (second pic I'm left):
    1070029_10153022734345607_1661954226_n.jpg
    487781_10152557279435607_456144231_n.jpg

I'm happy. Just try to eat a balanced diet and include nutrient rich foods. And enjoy other things to help keep a healthy mind, I recommend cookies.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    okay just to clarify I read the whole IIFYM page and the theory etc. I read all the FAQ I get it. I understand the idea. But if they are correct then the number of calories I should be hitting is like 2500. I am a mom of 4 so I am busy and on my feet most of the day. I don't do much exercising other then walking 3 miles a day at a brisk pace. So doesn't that TDEE seem really really high?

2500 is extremely high for a female your age. what did you put for your exercise level? You can always cut back on exercise so you are able to consume less calories.

I disagree! I'm the same age as the OP, and she is doing more cardio than I, and until the last couple of months, my true TDEE was over 2500. The last few months, after losing a bunch of weight, my true TDEE seems to have slipped down to closer to 2400. That is NOT "extremely high."

I'm 35, 5'6, workout about 5 or 6 times a week, run round after 2 young kids and work part time as a teacher and my TDEE is around 2500. I'm aiming for 1600 calories a day so a compromise between the TDEE minus 20% method and the 1450 MFP gave me.

I do the iifym on some days, so maybe a small treat like a couple of scoops of frozen yoghurt, but aim for high protein and to stay within my fat and carbs allowance. I manually adjusted to give me a higher percentage of protein and lower fat and carbs.

Today I made cupcakes so had one and I'm having some cava later. I'm within all my calories, fat etc. I always feel a bit of guilt when I have days like this, but I seem to still lose weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

I try to research things out before I give an opinion for or against. It's obvious somebody doesn't do this
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying hard to get my macros right - I have tummy troubles due to very high stress situations right now, so it's a little tough. At that point, it becomes more important to keep calories in than hitting protein targets. So I have good days and bad. And it wasn't until I got it set straight that I started losing again. However, I never did have very much to lose.

A) I got myself a Fitbit Flex to track my activity. B) I got some assistance from SideSteel in the Eat, Train, Progress group, and immediately broke through. C) I focused on protein, protein and more protein.

Within a week, I dropped two pounds, and have lost another pound a week since, and even though I'm not anywhere near perfect with the macros, I've gotten so close to goal, both weight and fitness level. My lifting is better (I broke a major goal this morning!), my weight is where I want it to be and I'm still losing bodyfat. So yeah, I think it works.

By comparison - prior to all of that, I was doing the MFP method, set at .5 a week loss and eating back calories - I didn't lose anything for 5 months. The calorie difference wasn't actually that much, it was 120 calories - but without eating back the exercise that I burn - and I burn a metric butt-tonload - and mostly - hitting my macros as often as possible.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

vague person is vague.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

I don't think IIFYM means what you think it means. It doesn't mean just eat ****...you could never meet a healthy, balanced, macro-nutrient ratio eating nothing but ****. Most people who IIFYM eat in order to achieve optimal performance from their macros...I know I get pretty much all of my vitamins and minerals from food...I meet my optimal protein and fat targets...after that, it's whatevs...generally that means I have a handful of jelly beans for dessert...or a small bowl of ice cream or something.

Like I said, I don't think it means what you think it means.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

Yes, because you have to eat only 'bad' food when applying IIFYM.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.
    Does it really work for you?

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

Just making mention of this for clarity sake.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....

Pssh, if you hadn't followed IIFYM you would be down 313lbs. You're doing it wrong!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

how so?

yea how so?

Cool bro, me too. Considering all foods have macros, you're already doing it. Strong logic is strong.