I ATE PIZZA AND ICE CREAM BED, WOKE UP LESS FAT

Options

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Why be content at 11lbs lost and then eat pizza/ice cream when you could have had a salad or something light and be at 12/13lbs lost.

Because if I ate a light salad I'd be at near 50% below my TDEE. I ate the Pizza and Ice cream to stay at around -30% TDEE.

What's wrong with being low on your TDEE (wtf that is)?

i'm often in a caloric deficit. Yesterday i had a salad, 2 protein shakes, lifted for 2 hours, ate some fruit, and ran for 10 miles. Pretty sure i was in a calorie deficit,...sure wasn't going to be driving to taco bell to get some calories "bc my body needs it" bc my body certainly didn't need some extra trash calories (Or nor did i need some lame reasoning to eat poorly).

I love you.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Maybe he worked a long day and had just gotten home so he ate a nice little pizza and an ice cream bar. Screw off rude ****s.

Rationalizing poor decisions is how people fail. It's a lifestyle change, it's not a "diet" it's not eating healthy "For now" it's not working out "for now". It's a full new lifestyle...boasting about failing is the most silly thing in the world.

I've gone from 285 to about 200 right now in the past 3 years, i feel like i have a decent context to this.

I think that is reasonable and sound advice. I think yeah maybe we can get away with eating something fattening, but not to make it a lifestyle. We are here though to make better choices, what is best fuel for our body, not to see what we can get away with, i think if we are doing that - we are still letting food control us...and eating for other reasons other than nutrition.

i do not recommend someone's anecdotal situation as a rationale for everyone being able to do it or that "this works for me so it must work for you". i can see the OP's point about "if you eat a piece of something, dont feel like you've blown it (all or nothing thinking); but I do not on the other hand recommend it as "yes you must fit these foods in to have a succcessful weight loss).

everyone is different, so i think we must follow our own path, what works best for us, if we take someone's advice, if it does not work for us, then we have to throw it in the circular file (trash).
  • macielittle
    macielittle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    He said, defiantly.

That's great for you. Some people don't want to eat pizza and ice cream, because it doesn't work for them.

Does that fact somehow affect YOUR life?

It doesn't affect my life because I know the truth. Pizza, ice cream, iguana sticks, etc may not work for some people due to a medical condition such as diabetes. However, if you are free from disease (And most of you are. Your thyroid is fine.) then it's all about the caloric deficit.

I take offense to people peddling arugula salads and spirulina tonics as the way to "be healthy" and lose weight. Desperate people arrive on forums like this and are told that hamburgers are fattening and they should only eat pancakes once and a while , which sets them up for failure.

My husband is 6'1" and weighs between 150-160 and he eats whatever he wants. He has a great metabolism. Does eating McDoubles, pizza or ice cream make him fat? NO. Does it make him healthy? NO. His most recent blood panel showed he had high cholesterol. He does not have diabetes, no hypothyroid (or hyper for that matter) and heart disease doesn't run in his family. He can run miles even if he hasn't exercised in months and he can pass every fitness test the military gives him. Does that make him healthy? Not according to his cholesterol levels. He needs to not eat McDoubles and pizza and ice cream in order to be healthy, NOT THIN. Please don't confuse the two.

How is the high cholesterol affecting his life? He is at an ideal weight and is fit. I'm not seeing what's negative about this scenario other than a number on a chart...

I didn't realize I'd have to explain that high cholesterol (just to be clear I am referring to LDL not HDL) is bad for you and that even without heart disease being a genetic factor it can be the result of high cholesterol. What it comes down to is that if my husband did not change his eating habits he could have heart issues (including possible cardiac arrest) amongst other things, even without genetic predisposition.

Your lack of acknowledgement of the health issues associated with eating foods that are nutritionally empty and, in fact, have high amounts of things that a human should not have in high amounts (and sometimes not at all) does not make it is okay to eat crap in order to lose weight as long as you don't eat too much crap. I think anyone with half a brain can figure out that if you use more calories in a day than you take in that you will lose weight (as long as there aren't underlying health issues). Does that mean you are equally less likely to die of a heart attack in ten years or get type II diabetes than someone that lost weight eating healthy, nutritional foods? NO

Since I am not a doctor I have copied this link for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-cholesterol/DS00178

Feel free to find any reliable source that points out that having high LDL isn't that bad for you.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I challenge someone to eat 30 days of caloric deficit in only fast food and get a blood test. A dieters version of Super size Me.

I did for three months and lost just over 60 lbs, I ate only food that came from fast food places and deliberately ate foods that couldn't be considered "moderately healthy" (just to prove someone like you wrong that I worked with.) My BP was 15/4 lower from star to finish (it wasn't real high to begin with though, low bp runs in my family), my triglycerides went from 181(it might have been 187, i don't remember) which was "concerning" to the doctor to 147 which he said he'd like to see me continue to lower, but no longer was in the danger zone.

I've seen near that same degree of change losing 60lbs from 300ish to 250ish on atkins, caloric deficit, strictly fast food, nothing but salads (and not ones loaded with crap), raw diet, etc...

Lets not forget the backlash from supersize me (if you eat 5k calories a day and don't exercise, shocking your health goes to the crapper) where dozens and dozens of people went on fast food diets and lost significant weight, bettered their triglycerides/cholesterol numbers, and lowered their blood pressure. You have seen the "fast food diet" right? If you're going to make an unfounded assertion at least run it past google first. Frankly, anyone who gains 25lbs in a month is going to see a huge deterioration in their health and blood panel numbers. No shock that this was the case in supersizeme... if you want to see the other side, documented on youtube-- Me & Mickey D's (same eating restrictions as supersizeme, but didn't go 5k calories crazy and continued to exercise)... 30 days, 20lbs, 90 days 30 lbs. I quote from her own post: "Ms. Whaley enjoyed such wonderful success using this diet that she returned to the Golden Arches diet 5 more times over a period of two years, eventually losing 45 pounds and lowering her cholesterol from 237 to 172, all without medications or supplements of any sort."

Health aside, deficit makes weightless. Not some perfect ratio of macros or quality of the food.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    37138447.jpg

does posting irrelevant pictures do something for u? bc it's not doing anything for anyone else.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    37138447.jpg

does posting irrelevant pictures do something for u? bc it's not doing anything for anyone else.

Tates like rats.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Balancing what we eat is a life long commitment.....none of us will stay away from junk food forever...accordingly its just about eating everything in moderation. ....burgers pizzas are great comfort food which we love...but I personally cannot think of having it daily....I may get bored of it lol....I better have it occasionally and enjoy every bite of it...:flowerforyou:

I never understand why some would speak for everyone as in "none of us". Are you sure of what you stated as if it's fact? I mean "burgers pizza are great comfort food which we love" ~ who is "we"? Why not just speak for yourself?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...or this is why you're down 11 pounds and not down 13.

you look at it as "victory i didn't gain weight"

i look at it as lost progress.

He was under his calorie target. For pure weight loss, he stayed on track. So no lost progress.

That's just a philosophy for lazy people. Eat correctly and you will get better results. Rationalizing it in this manner doesn't contribute to a lifestyle change.

Rushing to eat a pizza and ice cream when you're so tired that you can fall asleep in 15 minutes. That's not even hunger, that's just being mentally weak. Boasting about it makes me certain you won't even succeed.

Why on earth would you eat such garbage food when you've admitted you need to lose weight. It'd be like buying a $2000 tv when you're severely in debt, why needlessly add to it?

Why be content at 11lbs lost and then eat pizza/ice cream when you could have had a salad or something light and be at 12/13lbs lost.

Nicely said, valid point.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Negative, people fail with diets cause of one two things.

1) They set their deficit so low that their BMR shoots way down. When they resume a "normal" diet, their body has trouble adjusting and their weight shoots right back to where they were.

How to Solve: CKD, which boosts leptin levels sufficiently to keep your motor high. Do a small deficit at around 10-20% max. Anymore your setting yourself for failure when recomping.

2) They can't control their cravings and "bing out". Their diet feels like a "trap".

How to Solve: Go on Keto. Cut out the carbs / sugars. It will stave off hunger since you have a stable blood sugar. A good diet is a diet you love without having those cravings.
    Unless you happen to have depression, and find that after several months of eating low-carb, and despite carb-ups and anti-depressants that previously (and later) worked just fine, your serotonin reserves are stripped out and your impulse control is so horrible that you stop to binge on frozen yogurt TWO TIMES on the way home from eating lunch. No, that could never happen. Keto works for everyone. At all times. Forever. :huh:

That little N=1 experiment of 9 months set me back over *three years* and I'm just now making a dent in all the weight I gained back, thank you very much.

What works for some people, such as myself, is a very large plate full of low-fat meat, low- and high-starch carbs, and small, whole-grain sweet treats eaten on a daily basis is what staves off hunger and cravings. An egg, two slices of bacon, half an avocado and an ounce of nuts will not fill me up, it'll just piss me off. Yet, for far fewer calories, a cup of egg white, 1.5 oz. lean turkey sausage, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1/2 c. peppers and onions and a wedge of light cheese fills me up quite well and keeps me from thinking about food for 4-5 hours.

Is it so hard to accept that different things work for different people?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

He was under his calorie target. For pure weight loss, he stayed on track. So no lost progress.

That's just a philosophy for lazy people. Eat correctly and you will get better results. Rationalizing it in this manner doesn't contribute to a lifestyle change.

Rushing to eat a pizza and ice cream when you're so tired that you can fall asleep in 15 minutes. That's not even hunger, that's just being mentally weak. Boasting about it makes me certain you won't even succeed.

Why on earth would you eat such garbage food when you've admitted you need to lose weight. It'd be like buying a $2000 tv when you're severely in debt, why needlessly add to it?

Nicely said, valid point.
    Are we racing? Nobody told me. And I can assure you that every time I lost weight in the past, there was no little trophy or medal at the end.

Maybe because pizza or ice cream every so often makes the journey enjoyable and possible to sustain, rather than a grueling marathon to be endured or possibly not able to be endured?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Also? You probably would have applauded my efforts when I whipped out my pocket scale at the restaurant and assiduously picked apart my burrito bowl's components so I could weigh them with 0.1 gram precision.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    He said, defiantly.

That's great for you. Some people don't want to eat pizza and ice cream, because it doesn't work for them.

Does that fact somehow affect YOUR life?

It doesn't affect my life because I know the truth. Pizza, ice cream, iguana sticks, etc may not work for some people due to a medical condition such as diabetes. However, if you are free from disease (And most of you are. Your thyroid is fine.) then it's all about the caloric deficit.

I take offense to people peddling arugula salads and spirulina tonics as the way to "be healthy" and lose weight. Desperate people arrive on forums like this and are told that hamburgers are fattening and they should only eat pancakes once and a while , which sets them up for failure.

So, been on MFP 27 months. Lost 11 lbs eating pizza, cheeseburgers and ice cream. Hates baby carrots. Hates people who EAT baby carrots. Lost one pound of fat overnight after eating frozen pizza and ice cream bed. Any other facts we need to know?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Still cracking up over "pizza and ice cream bed". WANT!

For the record, I like all veggies, so you will find me in the "pizza and ice cream bed" camp but not the "carrot eater hater" camp.

il_570xN.288012301.jpg
    icecream_lg2.jpg
  • Dawnflenner
    Options
    Thank you ALL for cheering me up today. This is some funny stuff.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    after a long day at work, this thread has been such an entertainment i haven't even looked at my tv. yay mfp!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want and still lose weight, providing there is a reasonable deficit. However, you can't eat whatever you want and still remain healthy. I find that often people can't distinguish between the two.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Negative, people fail with diets cause of one two things.

1) They set their deficit so low that their BMR shoots way down. When they resume a "normal" diet, their body has trouble adjusting and their weight shoots right back to where they were.

How to Solve: CKD, which boosts leptin levels sufficiently to keep your motor high. Do a small deficit at around 10-20% max. Anymore your setting yourself for failure when recomping.

2) They can't control their cravings and "bing out". Their diet feels like a "trap".

How to Solve: Go on Keto. Cut out the carbs / sugars. It will stave off hunger since you have a stable blood sugar. A good diet is a diet you love without having those cravings.
    Unless you happen to have depression, and find that after several months of eating low-carb, and despite carb-ups and anti-depressants that previously (and later) worked just fine, your serotonin reserves are stripped out and your impulse control is so horrible that you stop to binge on frozen yogurt TWO TIMES on the way home from eating lunch. No, that could never happen. Keto works for everyone. At all times. Forever. :huh:

That little N=1 experiment of 9 months set me back over *three years* and I'm just now making a dent in all the weight I gained back, thank you very much.

What works for some people, such as myself, is a very large plate full of low-fat meat, low- and high-starch carbs, and small, whole-grain sweet treats eaten on a daily basis is what staves off hunger and cravings. An egg, two slices of bacon, half an avocado and an ounce of nuts will not fill me up, it'll just piss me off. Yet, for far fewer calories, a cup of egg white, 1.5 oz. lean turkey sausage, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1/2 c. peppers and onions and a wedge of light cheese fills me up quite well and keeps me from thinking about food for 4-5 hours.

Is it so hard to accept that different things work for different people?

In Keto you are suppose to compliment your stomach cravings with tons of veggies, aka broccoli and company. That's how you stave off hunger, you physically can't stuff more into your stomach + stable sugar levels. (In my experience anyways).

Keto is definately not for everyone. Its a lifestyle change. Its for people who have discipline, wont cheat, and stick to it. But everyone should give it a shot and see if it works for them. Evidently it didn't work for you.

I stand by keto is the most EFFICIENT way to lose weight without losing LBM (aka muscle mass is a keto cut). Then again if your just looking to be skinny fat then any low cal diet will do.

I plan on tossing out keto once I start bulking.
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options
    It's different for most women. Especially women over 40ish. Once you hit 47 if you aren't exercising you aren't losing. I have been tiny all my life. 25 pounds later( .. and I was eating very healthfully and doing moderate exercise while gaining) I am running and still not losing. It's different for everyone but it's a proven fact that men have a much easier time losing than women. <just sayin! >
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    In Keto you are suppose to compliment your stomach cravings with tons of veggies, aka broccoli and company. That's how you stave off hunger, you physically can't stuff more into your stomach + stable sugar levels. (In my experience anyways).

Keto is definately not for everyone. Its a lifestyle change. Its for people who have discipline, wont cheat, and stick to it. But everyone should give it a shot and see if it works for them. Evidently it didn't work for you.

I stand by keto is the most EFFICIENT way to lose weight without losing LBM (aka muscle mass is a keto cut). Then again if your just looking to be skinny fat then any low cal diet will do.

I plan on tossing out keto once I start bulking.
    There must be some meaning of "compliment" with which I am unfamiliar. Please to explain.

So, are you saying that I did not change my lifestyle? That perhaps I didn't eat all kinds of vegetables and meat (they called me "The Spinach Assassin"!)? That I wasn't lifting heavy several times a week and doing HIIT cardio? That I was skinny fat? I'm not sure what it is that you're suggesting was my failing, since there is no way it could be that I complied with the lifestyle, but it just did not agree with my body and brain chemistry. :huh:

I also lost a whopping 4 frackin' pounds during the whole fiasco. It was SOOOO efficient.

Listen, I'm not trying to say it isn't really good for some people. The science behind it makes sense to me. I WANT it to work for me. But I never got the results that were promised, and continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

If it's so great anyway, why are you scrapping it when you start bulking? Why not just use the MANS diet or some other low-carb anabolic diet?
  • BSdevon
    BSdevon Posts: 77
    Options
    Haha. Title POST FTW !!!!!!