Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

We are the only species that willingly drinks milk from another species and after infancy.

cats love cows milk, my dog loves milk and yogurt, and i am sure our goats would suckle on the cows to if we let them lol

Cow's milk is known to give cats a case of "the runs".

Only for some cats. Same as with humans. My cat has never had any gut problems with dairy, and she eats cheese, cream, milk and cream cheese very frequently. She is 6 years old and the picture of perfect health.

You learn something new everyday! That said, one of my cats LOVES spaghetti, but only if it has parmesan cheese on it.

Your cat sounds awesome!
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options

We are the only species that willingly drinks milk from another species and after infancy.

cats love cows milk, my dog loves milk and yogurt, and i am sure our goats would suckle on the cows to if we let them lol

Cow's milk is known to give cats a case of "the runs".

Only for some cats. Same as with humans. My cat has never had any gut problems with dairy, and she eats cheese, cream, milk and cream cheese very frequently. She is 6 years old and the picture of perfect health.

You learn something new everyday! That said, one of my cats LOVES spaghetti, but only if it has parmesan cheese on it.

Both of my cats are obsessed with baked goods. Weirdest thing ever. I can't even leave a loaf of bread out on the table.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    SO here's a question then...

Growing up, we had a family friend (weirdo/hippie) who used her own breast milk to make pancakes for her family...

is this more or less natural than drinking cow's milk? It's human milk, so technically it is MEANT for human consumption.

Just saying. There are weirder things than consuming cow's milk.

How long before someone posts a Game of Thrones jpeg of Lyssa Tully breast feeding her eight year old.
  • gwenshoe
    gwenshoe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink milk from a local dairy only. It's vat pasteurized http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/08/raw-milk-alternatives/#.Ue3ndsu9KSM. Try it! Support local food production!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    I had a vegetarian friend for dinner tonight and she tasted like meat to me. Anyway, when I brought out the buffalo mozzarella she said that only baby water buffalo should eat that............I said, sounds good, would you like some and she said, you bet it's been years since I've had that and I'm not about to pass that up, screw the baby water buffalo.....true story. I'm sure if the water buffalo were also dinning with us it would have been a different conversation.:wink:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    We also eat the ovum of other animals as well as cook our meat... so what if we're the only ones who do something? I'm sure if they had opposable thumbs and were capable of abstract thought they would too. Welcome to the top of the food chain.
  • anatolian9
    anatolian9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    dumb thread. I guess we should not eat animal meat either then?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    We also eat the ovum of other animals as well as cook our meat... so what if we're the only ones who do something? I'm sure if they had opposable thumbs and were capable of abstract thought they would too. Welcome to the top of the food chain.
    Now your just talking nonsense....food doesn't come on chains. j/k Is Cookstown Greens still around. I went to Banting in Alliston.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

Please don't cram everyone into a box.
    I buy raw milk, cheese, & eggs, fresh of a farm in Utah that's about 2hours out of Vegas.
    Their animals are all happily wondering around, living a happy life.
    We tried a vegan lifestyle, and it wasn't for us.
    We don't eat a lot of meat, but when we do, I buy meat from companies that have great reputations for treating their free range, organic animals humanely.
    The MSG in the veggie meats & cheeses was having bad effects on me and my children.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love milk but I get sick if I drink it or eat too much ice cream- many adults are unable to drink milk
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    But it's okay to eat vegetables priced by migrant workers in miserable conditions?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I gave up milk after drinking it for almost 50 yrs. I loved it but I love the fact that unsweetened almond milk has 1/3 the cals and almost twice the calcium.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Almond milk here! Have tried coconut and rice, don't care much for those.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, somebody clue me in because I'm not reading through 18 pages just to see if someone already answered this.

Um, I'm lactose intolerant? Huh? I consume ridiculous amounts of dairy and the only issue I ever had was during training for lacrosse when my body started depositing calcium in my calf muscles because there was no where else to put it! My trainer said I was the only 20yo female she had ever told to LAY OFF the dairy and that was because I was consuming between 1/2 and 1 gallon a day....but sure, lactose intolerant, yeah.....

That being said, perfectly happy to support humane treatment through organic milk, it's tastier anyways (no idea why, don't usually notice a difference, but even the husband greatly prefers the taste of the organic milk).

The rest of the guilt trip is falling woefully flat however. "She" doesn't have the cognitive abilities you are trying to credit "her" with. The only animal that makes me squirm a little in this area is pigs, they are actually VERY intelligent. Unfortunately they are also by far the tastiest of the meat animals. It's a conundrum.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    have you ever tasted the milk from a big fat bowl of lucky charms?

i rest my case
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    But it's okay to eat vegetables priced by migrant workers in miserable conditions?

All I can imagine is someone at the grocery store with a price sticker gun, and am very confuse.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    romulus-remus-and-their-nursemaid-jacques-laurent-agasse-www-jacques-laurent-agasse.jpeg

I'm on the roman mythological diet, wolves milk for dat calcium and extra beast mode in the workouts.
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    That said, we weren't designed to exercise, run marathons, do the butterfly, do extreme acrobatics etc. either.
    Says who? You should read Born to Run (McDougall) at least.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in order for a cow to produce milk she must be pregnant. The cows are KEPT pregnant year round to produce it. The girl calves are kept to raise as new cows & the cycles starts again. The boy calves are killed as young as 5 days old as they become useless to milk production. 5 days old. Separated from their mother & killed because they are a boy.

Think about THAT when having your cows milk. The dairy industry won't tell you that either.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in order for a cow to produce milk she must be pregnant. The cows are KEPT pregnant year round to produce it. The girl calves are kept to raise as new cows & the cycles starts again. The boy calves are killed as young as 5 days old as they become useless to milk production. 5 days old. Separated from their mother & killed because they are a boy.

Think about THAT when having your cows milk. The dairy industry won't tell you that either.

If I wasn't pissed as a fart I could probably absorb that, care about it and take action to move my life in a more animal-friendly direction.

I may even research the validity of the argument, just for the hell of it.

But hey, can't deny the prevailing conditions :)