Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have always thought it interesting that humans are the only species to drink milk past infancy.

Do you find it interesting that humans are the only species to cook or bake their food?
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    For this reason I try to limit my intake of dairy and notice that I don't hit the snooze button so many times in the morning when I've cut it out of my diet.

Wait...

So now milk is to blame for sleeping disorders?? :huh:

Correlation =/= causation!

I assuming that you want me to say yes, so yes.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For this reason I try to limit my intake of dairy and notice that I don't hit the snooze button so many times in the morning when I've cut it out of my diet.

Wait...

So now milk is to blame for sleeping disorders?? :huh:

Correlation =/= causation!

I assuming that you want me to say yes, so yes.

Correlation does not equal causation. You do not know that eliminating milk was the reason you are sleeping better. There are too many other factors that could have created a better environment for your sleep patterns. This is why anecdote is not evidenciary.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My dogs happily chow down on both baked food and dairy products. They don't have the ability to cook or obtain milk themselves, but are more than happy to share in my good fortune.

On the other hand, I prefer not to drink cow milk, or eat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt, because I think it all tastes nasty. As does anything nut based. Yes, I must be picky!

That doesn't mean I'm going to tell other people what they should or shouldn't eat. We all have our preferences.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I have always thought it interesting that humans are the only species to drink milk past infancy.

Do you find it interesting that humans are the only species to cook or bake their food?

Or that an animal will not reject cooked or baked food when its offered to them?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Cows that have been raised on their dams will continue to nurse into adulthood.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That's why I only drink almond milk. It has fixed all my flatulence problems. Give it a try!
    I do agree....we only drink it because its easier to mass produce..I drink it I was raised on cows milk but I do think its why a lot of people have lactose issues...I prefer silk milk...and really not to drink cows milk by the glass at all..but habits die hard I guess and I always go back to buying the gallons of regular milk....
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I eat only human milk and meat.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I mean, honestly, this was such a predictable response. Lol. Moo.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Honestly people, the fact of the matter is that no animal species will reject food when food is available to them. The argument that humans aren't "designed" to consume any food item is ridiculous. If we lack the ability to process it, then our bodies can develop the ability to process it over time. However, as it is with genetics, some people are just going to be SOL!

If you're one of the unlucky few, I'm so sorry. But as long as milk isn't causing me issues, I'm going to enjoy at my leisure.

/thread
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We were not designed for anything. We evolved. And most of us with European or African roots have evolved to digest the lactose in cow's milk.
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    If it were the ideal nutrition then why would so many mother's choose breastfeeding when it would be so simple to feed cow's milk instead which we (human's) must be designed to consume by this point in time???

Not sure if serious.

Most baby formulas are made from cows milk. Wasn't that long ago that breastfeeding was scarce in western society with virtually all babies being formula fed.

Kids can switch to drinking regular milk once they start moving and getting nutrition from other foods as well. The big reason to avoid it before that is that cows milk is a good bit more calorically dense than human milk.

Just because it became fashionable for mother's not to breastfeed does not mean that it was optimal. There are milk based and soy based formulas and neither one is a perfect fit for every baby. I don't disrespect any woman who chooses to give formula over nursing but it wasn't the option chosen for my family.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Tell that to my cats and my dog... Why does the misconception persist... Just because they can't get up, go to the store and grab a gallon of milk doesn't mean they won't drink it if they had the chance to.

ETA: that doesn't mean they will be able to digest it properly due to the lack of lactose in their system due to the lack of drinking milk but they will still drink it all the same.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So corn fed beef is another myth?

Cattle are fed corn in feed lots when being fattened up for slaughter. No myth about it but I prefer grass fed beef myself......
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    We were not designed for anything. We evolved. And most of us with European or African roots have evolved to digest the lactose in cow's milk.

Woohoo! I'm a proud carrier of a beneficial genetic mutation!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    That's why I only drink almond milk. It has fixed all my flatulence problems. Give it a try!
    I do agree....we only drink it because its easier to mass produce..I drink it I was raised on cows milk but I do think its why a lot of people have lactose issues...I prefer silk milk...and really not to drink cows milk by the glass at all..but habits die hard I guess and I always go back to buying the gallons of regular milk....

Honestly? I drink cow's milk because I think almond, soy and coconut milks taste terrible. If all that many people today thought this stuff was better than cow's milk, they'd figure out the manufacturing difficulties. There has been a lot more exposure to the alternative milks recently, so maybe eventually the masses will decide for alternative milks, who knows.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    71557.gif
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Im alergic to almonds AND milk. *sigh*

What's a girl to do?!

Buy a goat.

Wait, is that against the rules too?
    How about cat's milk?

"You can milk anything with nipples..."

"I have nipples, Focker. Can you milk me?"

I'm a man, with nipples, try milking me and you'll be missing a few teeth . . . wait, on second thought . . .

~finds myself having completely inappropriate thoughts~
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    When you consume a milk or dairy product, you really have no certainty as to how it was raised.

542955_477354575620295_609669556_n.jpg

There are stupid and cruel teenagers everywhere doing bad things to animals. Not just on farms to cows.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've tried a number of the different 'milks' out there and while I like them, I find them awfully sweet, so I'm going to stick to my cow's milk, thank you very much.

Though I'm pretty certain that years of generations drinking cow's milk has made it okay for us to have it.

So why is there still lactose intolerance among our society? All humans are lactose intolerant, just some people are more "intolerant" then others. I'm sorry, but i'm not drinking a steroid & hormone laced milk that makes a calf grow to 900lbs in a few months.

I heard (I am not a scientist or anything) it is the homoginist (sorry spelling) process that is difficult for humans to process and if that person drinks natural fresh cows milk they wouldn't have any issues. I think we just over process EVERYTHING.