Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    a lady named bcattoes proved me wrong on this once before in a thread a long long time ago. cats drink milk lol

cats drink other animals milk? by choice? try again

...Have you ever tried to MAKE a cat do anything it doesn't want to do?

"Here, kitty, drink the milk!"

-cat f*cks off-

"...Well"

LMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh. I was thinking the same thing when I read that post.

Cat's do not do anything they don't want to. If that person had ever owned a cat they would know you don't make a cat do anything. I often envision my cat with fingers flipping me off because you know he is saying it.

So true of cats.

And, I have to say, given the way that my dog loves Babybel cheeses, if she had opposable thumbs and knew how to make the stuff, she totally would. (You can't even remove a babybel from the refrigerator without a sudden case of dog poucing on you. )
    Soy milk, in moderation, is a great alternative. High protein, low cholesterol. Just get it unsweetened.
    I heard that unfermented soy is bad for you...
    Not to mention the inhumane treatment of all those soys. Soy abuse has to end.

Have to say that I'm less than wholly happy with herbicide/Round-Up resistant soybeans. Seriously, the process that Monsanto took to genetically create soybeans that readily survive the poison they pour on them that kills everything else that happens to be growing with them, doesn't sound like the most natural thing in the world either.

Nature didn't design Round-up resistant plants. People did.
    Unless you have been surgically enhanced to have 4 stomachs, like a cow, then there is a pretty good chance that cow's milk was not designed for you

The multiple stomachs is an adaptation for the digestion of grasses.

So you don't have four stomachs, I assume that means you're also planning to give up all wheat products,, since wheat is a human modified grass.
  • Traceybanim
    Options
    I've switched from cow's milk to soy milk.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Im alergic to almonds AND milk. *sigh*

What's a girl to do?!

Buy a goat.

Wait, is that against the rules too?
    How about cat's milk?

"You can milk anything with nipples..."

"I have nipples, Focker. Can you milk me?"

Actually, men do have ability to breast-feed.

I did not know this before coming to MFP!
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Originally we we're not supposed to be able to consume the milk of other animals. The only milk we we're designed to consume is the milk from our mothers until we no longer need it. However, history and our ancestors have caused a genetic mutation inside of us that allows us to drink the milk of cows without feeling ill. Some people don't have the gene, lactose intolerant anyone?
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

I have no idea where you got this but it's a more than a little off. My family are dairy farmers and our cattle are NOT kept in tiny stalls, they have many acres of green grass to eat. For the small family farm they aren't possessions they are living breathing creatures who help us make living, so they are very well cared for....which is more than i can say for corporate farms that have THOUSANDS of cattle. The last cow we had die was 22 years old and stilll producing.

So I'll stick with my cow milk. I'll continue to be an omnivore and I'm so over those who think that 'their way' (veggie/vegan/etc.) are the 'only way' and go all "holier than thou are" on those who disagree.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Humans were not designed at all. LOL

In any event, if I drink cow's milk, my stomach revolts. So, I don't drink it. I care not even a little bit about what everyone else does with it. I like almond/coconut milk, so I use that. I think soy milk tastes like spite.

If you are concerned with the way animals are treated on dairy farms (and I grew up on a dairy farm, so I actually know what conditions are like on *good* farms), buy your milk directly from a local dairy. Usually, you will be able to meet the farmer and even tour the farm if you want. That should calm any fears that you have about how the animals are treated. There are a couple of local dairies here that sell their milk at the farmer's market. Seems easy enough.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    What about beer? Humans were not "designed" to drink beer. Thank you Evolution!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Some humans are not designed to drink cows milk, however many of us have a genetic mutation that allows us to consume it without discomfort. It's rich in protein, it's delicious, and you can't have ice cream without it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

People have been drinking beer for billions of years, I'm sure. With almonds for a bar snack.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

People have been drinking beer for billions of years, I'm sure. With almonds for a bar snack.

This. Thank you for your support
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I wasn't designed to eat spinach or kale, they both give me gas. I must not have enough stomachs or genes or something.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soy milk, in moderation, is a great alternative. High protein, low cholesterol. Just get it unsweetened.

Have to say that I'm less than wholly happy with herbicide/Round-Up resistant soybeans. Seriously, the process that Monsanto took to genetically create soybeans that readily survive the poison they pour on them that kills everything else that happens to be growing with them, doesn't sound like the most natural thing in the world either.

Every soy milk I've ever seen is made with organic soy beans, which means non-GMO.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

she's an animal, not a person.

That being said, all animals deserve to be treated well.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Im alergic to almonds AND milk. *sigh*

What's a girl to do?!

Buy a goat.

Wait, is that against the rules too?
    How about cat's milk?

"You can milk anything with nipples..."

"I have nipples, Focker. Can you milk me?"

Actually, men do have ability to breast-feed.

I did not know this before coming to MFP!

Quoting "Meet the Parents"
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

Every soy milk I've ever seen is made with organic soy beans, which means non-GMO.

They don't have to list it as "genetically modified". Genetic modification is a specific process, don't use that process, you don't have to call it that. Unfortunately, genetically modified is actually a more precise method of creating new strains than what they were doing. What they would do was expose the seeds and seedlings to toxins, deliberately creating 'natural' mutations until it finally created herbicide resistant one, through trial and error. You might actually be better off with a GMO variety. This was far more haphazard.

(And I'm pretty sure my uncle's farm wasn't commercially growing round-up resistant soybeans for nothing. They're used in something... given the prevelance of them in the farming industry, I'd say they're in a LOT of somethings.)
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly lactose intolerant and only get cramps, nothing else, when I have dairy. I love cow's milk. Can't stand any other kind. I did find it weird though how Ii quite happily drank cow's milk but couldn't bring myself to try breastmilk when I had my son. I like coconut milk too, but cow's milk is the best. Worth the stomach pain.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I may be getting a bit philisophical here, but ... Humans weren't meant to put almonds and water in a blender and call it "milk" ... :)
    Besides, unless you make your own "milks", they are usually full of stabllizers and thickeners like rice flour and tapioca starch ... And while some people may have an issue with cow's milk, there
    s always sheep and goat as an alternativve.

My favorite argument is the whole "Cow milk is meant to make baby cows fat, so *logically* it will make humans fat ... " ... insert buzzer noise here ... If you really feel that way (I personally don't) then drink the alternatives (sheep or goat) ... I mean baby goats and lambs don't get fat ... lol

EDIT: Can't type ...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been surgically enhanced to have 4 stomachs, like a cow, then there is a pretty good chance that cow's milk was not designed for you.

Cows do not actually use their 4 stomachs to digest milk. This is a common misconception. The rumen, reticulum, and omasum are all for digesting grass, grain, and other vegetative matter. When a calf drinks, the sucking mechanism runs the milk directly into the abomasum, which is the true stomach and similar to our own.

So unless you have 4 stomachs, you shouldn't be eating vegetables.

I consider this matter settled
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been surgically enhanced to have 4 stomachs, like a cow, then there is a pretty good chance that cow's milk was not designed for you.

Cows do not actually use their 4 stomachs to digest milk. This is a common misconception. The rumen, reticulum, and omasum are all for digesting grass, grain, and other vegetative matter. When a calf drinks, the sucking mechanism runs the milk directly into the abomasum, which is the true stomach and similar to our own.

So unless you have 4 stomachs, you shouldn't be eating vegetables.

I consider this matter settled

Hahahaha...this..excellent.

To say no human should drink lactose...? That's like saying no human should eat peanuts because one person has a peanut allergy...

I drink what I am in the mood for...sometimes it's almond milk, sometimes it's cow's milk.

What works for one person may not work for another. Diets are individualized according to tolerance and preferences.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

They don't have to list it as "genetically modified". Genetic modification is a specific process, don't use that process, you don't have to call it that. Unfortunately, genetically modified is actually a more precise method of creating new strains than what they were doing. What they would do was expose the seeds and seedlings to toxins, deliberately creating 'natural' mutations until it finally created herbicide resistant one, through trial and error. You might actually be better off with a GMO variety. This was far more haphazard.

(And I'm pretty sure my uncle's farm wasn't commercially growing round-up resistant soybeans for nothing. They're used in something... given the prevelance of them in the farming industry, I'd say they're in a LOT of somethings.)

In the US, products may not be labeled organic if they contain GMO.