Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This thread brings the LOLZ in the form of amateur anthropologists and arm-chair physiologists
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    Unless you have been surgically enhanced to have 4 stomachs, like a cow, then there is a pretty good chance that cow's milk was not designed for you.

Cows do not actually use their 4 stomachs to digest milk. This is a common misconception. The rumen, reticulum, and omasum are all for digesting grass, grain, and other vegetative matter. When a calf drinks, the sucking mechanism runs the milk directly into the abomasum, which is the true stomach and similar to our own.

So unless you have 4 stomachs, you shouldn't be eating vegetables.

I consider this matter settled

Hahahaha...this..excellent.

To say no human should drink lactose...? That's like saying no human should eat peanuts because one person has a peanut allergy...

I drink what I am in the mood for...sometimes it's almond milk, sometimes it's cow's milk.

What works for one person may not work for another. Diets are individualized according to tolerance and preferences.

Cows eat grass, not veggies
    Also, not sure where my post said that no human should eat products containing milk. Technically speaking, the statement that cow's milk was not designed for human's is 100% true, it was designed by nature for calves, will it kill other species? Highly unlikely but it may cause allergies or intolerance for many. For this reason I try to limit my intake of dairy and notice that I don't hit the snooze button so many times in the morning when I've cut it out of my diet.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    So corn fed beef is another myth?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been surgically enhanced to have 4 stomachs, like a cow, then there is a pretty good chance that cow's milk was not designed for you.

Cows do not actually use their 4 stomachs to digest milk. This is a common misconception. The rumen, reticulum, and omasum are all for digesting grass, grain, and other vegetative matter. When a calf drinks, the sucking mechanism runs the milk directly into the abomasum, which is the true stomach and similar to our own.

To say no human should drink lactose...? That's like saying no human should eat peanuts because one person has a peanut allergy...

I drink what I am in the mood for...sometimes it's almond milk, sometimes it's cow's milk.

What works for one person may not work for another. Diets are individualized according to tolerance and preferences.

Also, not sure where my post said that no human should eat products containing milk. Technically speaking, the statement that cow's milk was not designed for human's is 100% true, it was designed by nature for calves, will it kill other species? Highly unlikely but it may cause allergies or intolerance for many. For this reason I try to limit my intake of dairy and notice that I don't hit the snooze button so many times in the morning when I've cut it out of my diet.

Hence...to quote my own post "What works for one person may not work for another. Diets are individualized according to tolerance and preferences.

And how is drinking milk and eating products derived from cow's milk any different. I am curious.
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    There is no such thing as almond (or soy) milk. Milk comes from mammals. It should be called almond drink.

1 milk noun \ˈmilk\
    Definition of MILK

a : a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young; especially : cow's milk used as a food by humans
    b : lactation <cows in milk>
    : a liquid resembling milk in appearance: as
    a : the latex of a plant
    b : the juice of a coconut composed of liquid endosperm
    c : the contents of an unripe kernel of grain

So now we're defining something by saying it resembles itself in the definition. Either that's BS or the English language has jumped the shark.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This thread brings the LOLZ in the form of amateur anthropologists and arm-chair physiologists

seriously, who knew there were so many zoologists on MFP...?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as almond (or soy) milk. Milk comes from mammals. It should be called almond drink.

1 milk noun \ˈmilk\
    Definition of MILK

a : a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young; especially : cow's milk used as a food by humans

So now we're defining something by saying it resembles itself in the definition. Either that's BS or the English language has jumped the shark.

Let's call margarine butter while we're at it
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah all animals are just supposed to drink their mother's milk during development but milk is pretty good. We eat a lot of things we aren't "designed" to eat lol. With my meat/dairy products and produce I always make sure to get cruelty free & organic for health reasons and for the animals.
  • hillcontessa
    hillcontessa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have no issues having dominion over animals.

Ha!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For this reason I try to limit my intake of dairy and notice that I don't hit the snooze button so many times in the morning when I've cut it out of my diet.

Wait...

So now milk is to blame for sleeping disorders?? :huh:

Correlation =/= causation!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've tried a number of the different 'milks' out there and while I like them, I find them awfully sweet, so I'm going to stick to my cow's milk, thank you very much.

Though I'm pretty certain that years of generations drinking cow's milk has made it okay for us to have it.

So why is there still lactose intolerance among our society? All humans are lactose intolerant, just some people are more "intolerant" then others. I'm sorry, but i'm not drinking a steroid & hormone laced milk that makes a calf grow to 900lbs in a few months.

Not all people are lactose intolerant. Not even most people are lactose intolerant.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    71557.gif
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Im alergic to almonds AND milk. *sigh*

What's a girl to do?!

Buy a goat.

Wait, is that against the rules too?
    How about cat's milk?

"You can milk anything with nipples..."

"I have nipples, Focker. Can you milk me?"
    That's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote this :happy:
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

1 milk noun \ˈmilk\
    Definition of MILK

Let's call margarine butter while we're at it

I refuse to argue with this stupidity.
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options

Hence...to quote my own post "What works for one person may not work for another. Diets are individualized according to tolerance and preferences.

And how is drinking milk and eating products derived from cow's milk any different. I am curious.

I never said it was any different. I guess I wasn't clear. I do not feel that all people should give up cow's milk (be it in liquid form or processed or baked into any food you consume, if you huff it, boot it ore eyeball it) I'm just saying what I consider a common sense approach, if you don't feel good or think you could feel better, try eliminating it to see how you are impacted (and for the wise guy's on the thread, I realize that we eliminate everything we ingest). I would do this with any foods that I suspected one at a time to find the culprit. For people that have no digestive problems whatsoever, this is all a mute point.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have always thought it interesting that humans are the only species to drink milk past infancy.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have always thought it interesting that humans are the only species to drink milk past infancy.

I don't think it's that interesting. It makes sense for certain peoples that live in environments with limited source of dietary proteins and fats.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a jerk, but how would animals even obtain milk past infancy? They can't milk other animals.. Also, animals do not do lots of things that we as humans are able to do, so I don't think that this is a valid argument in the whole milk debate.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

We're also the only species that cook our food......I mean...if other animals understood how good sauteed mushrooms are and were intelligent enough to do it...I'm sure they would too.

We're more highly evolved...certainly as far as culinary skills.