Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    LOL "humans are not designed to drink cows milk" but almond milk??? SURE, because THAT used to come from magical fountains before the times when people started drinking cows milk. If we are not "designed" to drink cows milk, let alone things like almond milk, which are only MADE and COMMERCIALIZED BECAUSE people want to get away from cows milk for whatever reason. "Humans" can drink cows milk just fine, if you don't want to, that's fine too.

I, too, drink hazelnut milk everynow and then, but my body deals FINE with cows milk.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in order for a cow to produce milk she must be pregnant. The cows are KEPT pregnant year round to produce it. The girl calves are kept to raise as new cows & the cycles starts again. The boy calves are killed as young as 5 days old as they become useless to milk production. 5 days old. Separated from their mother & killed because they are a boy.

Think about THAT when having your cows milk. The dairy industry won't tell you that either.

Proof please?
    I worked on a dairy farm for 4 months out of the year for almost 15 years and never saw this.

^^This.

I've been working with dairy farming on and off now for about 15 years now, and have never seen anything like this.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    By grandfather used to drink goats milk from the goats t*ts and he is super healthy and strong at the age of 75.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in order for a cow to produce milk she must be pregnant. The cows are KEPT pregnant year round to produce it. The girl calves are kept to raise as new cows & the cycles starts again. The boy calves are killed as young as 5 days old as they become useless to milk production. 5 days old. Separated from their mother & killed because they are a boy.

Think about THAT when having your cows milk. The dairy industry won't tell you that either.

Proof please?
    I worked on a dairy farm for 4 months out of the year for almost 15 years and never saw this.

The general public needs the truth. We all want to enjoy our food with a clean conscience. Those who believe cows are treated fairly drink milk, those who do not, do not drink milk.

As a dairy farmer, what was your personal experience and what everyone wants to know is, did the cows suffer pain or abuse?
    Thanks in advance.
    My opinion is that people do not have enough facts to make a true judgement. I don't drink milk because I like the idea of eating food raw and from nature and I'd personally never approach a cow in a field and suckle it. And having dairy causes me skin and respiratory allergies.

I know you're not replying to me, but I'll jump in.

In my experience, they're treated as pets. Hell, my kids will jump in the straw beds at the end of the day and cuddle/sleep with them.
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How can anyone say with 100% confidence what humans are "designed" to do? its not possible to know that unless you believe in god and he somehow told you. Even science cannot prove without any doubt what our bodies are made for. We are ever evolving creatures with high intelligence and the ability to think for ourselves, so I say do what makes you happy and let others do the same instead of shoulding and shaming each other to death. sheesh people these days.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in order for a cow to produce milk she must be pregnant. The cows are KEPT pregnant year round to produce it. The girl calves are kept to raise as new cows & the cycles starts again.

First off, no. Do you have to be kept pregnant year-round to produce milk? No... cows don't either.
    The boy calves are killed as young as 5 days old as they become useless to milk production. 5 days old. Separated from their mother & killed because they are a boy.

Wrong again. Male calves are sold as studs to other dairy farms or to rodeos or they might be slaughtered for veal. But dairy farms don't do their own slaughtering. They sell the calves off and the new owner decides how to use them. The male calves are a commodity and a secondary stream of revenue.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Were we designed to drink almonds? Were almonds designed to be drank? Considering we don't get almond milk without a lot of processing I'm guessing the subject didn't come up when we were designed. Someone figured out we wanted something milky to drink later and came up with a few solutions at different times. The cow thing works good. Some people seem more on board with goats. Some nut (yup a pun) thought almonds worked well. Coconuts? Sure why not. Still though, not really designed to drink any of those. They work well and serve a purpose but it wasn't in the original plans. Water on the other hand. That's a biggy. Pretty much number one on the blueprint considering we're mostly made up of it. It falls from the sky and it's pretty much all over the place too. So let's just say water is the only thing we were really designed to drink.

I will take a leap and say yes. Humans were designed to suck nuts.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i think animal activists are worse than the "clean eaters"

at least clean eaters don't try and guilt trip me with sad pictures

Don't generalize.... If you feel "guilt-tripped", look within yourself for the reason.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the "we are the only species that drinks milk from another species" argument. We are also the only species that can read, write, solve physics problems, enter space....?

Just because no other species drinks milk past infancy does not mean it is necessarily harmful. If there are more scientific reasons for not drinking cows' milk then that is fine, but this justification alone doesn't really make much sense.

Also, mind you, I don't really drink milk very often. Have never been a big fan so I am an unbiased observer in this debate.

I loathe the "we are the only species" argument too. Most animals eat their meat straight off the animal's bones but I (and most of humans) prefer to have my steaks cooked and seasoned LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Although I will drink dairy milk from time to time I usually stay away from it. I do not know all the facts as some people are stating, but I assume that we are the only species that drinks another species milk....In a way it does not sound normal, but hey who am I to judge....I usually stick with coconut milk!

But in all reality.....I would like to know who the guy was who said "hey.....lets drink this";)

How many other species drink coconut milk?
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Breastmilk! Whoot!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    In what way are humans "designed" to drink almond milk?

Humans have been eating almonds for billions of years

Wait. What? Billions of years? Wow, that's amazing since "humans" have only been around for no more than 100,000 years. Oh, unless you're taking about those humans who live on other planets.

ERR NO

humans have existed for over 2 million years. Unless you're trying to say that only Homo sapiens people count as human. (homo sapiens first appeared around 150,000 years ago, although out of date textbooks will say 100,000 years ago) ...Which means that you've reduced the definition of "human" to possessing a dome shaped cranium, relatively vertical forehead and pointy chin. Homo sapiens are not even the largest brained humans to have ever lived, so brain size doesn't come into it if you only include Homo sapiens. (Homo neanderthalensis had bigger brains than Homo sapiens)

The actual definition of human is any species in the genus Homo, the earliest being Homo habilis, and what gets you into the genus Homo is being a fully bipedal ape and having a larger brain size compared to body size than an australopithecine and being able to make and use stone tools (or any technology more complex than stone tools), and passing cultural knowledge and skills from one generation to the next.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Although I will drink dairy milk from time to time I usually stay away from it. I do not know all the facts as some people are stating, but I assume that we are the only species that drinks another species milk....In a way it does not sound normal, but hey who am I to judge....I usually stick with coconut milk!

But in all reality.....I would like to know who the guy was who said "hey.....lets drink this";)

And if we arent supposed to drink coconut milk, then whats the purpose of a coconut? We give the coconut purpose! As we do cows, almonds, and whatever the hell they make twinkies with.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Not to sure..I know I do!!!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

And if we arent supposed to drink coconut milk, then whats the purpose of a coconut? We give the coconut purpose! As we do cows, almonds, and whatever the hell they make twinkies with.
    hahah! Nicely put:)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Wow, 24hrs later and still going strong.

Come on people, get a life - myself included. :huh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been surgically enhanced to have 4 stomachs, like a cow, then there is a pretty good chance that cow's milk was not designed for you.

Cows do not actually use their 4 stomachs to digest milk. This is a common misconception. The rumen, reticulum, and omasum are all for digesting grass, grain, and other vegetative matter. When a calf drinks, the sucking mechanism runs the milk directly into the abomasum, which is the true stomach and similar to our own.

What do you think you are some kind of doctor?

Nope, just someone who knows how calf digestion actually works.

that's what's necessary to eat GRASS, not milk. You don't need 4 stomachs to digest cows milk. Or any other kind of milk.

As has been stated repeatedly through the thread, those who are descended from many generations of dairy farmers have evolved the ability to digest lactose as adults and can drink milk without getting ill. This is evolution by natural selection (i.e. those who could digest lactose had an additional food source (animal milks) during food shortages, survived better and left more of their genes in the next generation....) and this is how EVERY animal has become adapted to eat what it eats.

If you're lactose intolerant, don't drink milk because it'll make you ill. If you're not lactose intolerant then you possess a gene called "the lactase persistence gene" which you inherited from people of dairy farming or herding extraction, in which case you can drink milk without getting ill, and there's no reason to abstain from milk if you don't want to.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

THANKYOU for this. I'm a veggie but am toying with the idea of becoming vegan. This helps.

you know if nobody bought meat or milk, that cow would have never been born, right? or would be meat instead of milk

Just so you know cows are not generally kept inside all the time except in the winter - and even then they are let out if the ground is hard enough so they don't cut it up too much. And they are kept inside in winter to allow humans to feed them so they live through the winter - before people knew about dairy nuts (concentrates) and silage only the very best animlas were kept through the winter, most of the rest were killed and eaten or salted for the winter nourishment of humans. If they were left out on the fields the wolves would get them anyway.

If you are really concerend about the lot of farm animals, spend your money on organic and/or free range meat, dairy and eggs. The more people eat it the more it is worth farmers converting to organic/free range - they need to have the economies of scale which offers them the better margin. If no-one is paying the premium it then they might as well get maximum profit by farming intensively.

Human dentition is that of an omnivore - we have evolved to need meat and fruit/vegetables. Our digestive systems are not evolved to cope on entirely plant matter - which is why unlike cows we only have one stomach.

And back to the subject of milk - I use semi-skimmed for everything, my family are very healthy and not particularly flatulent (when they are its generally pulses or artichokes which have caused the problem!)

PS Superannuated dairy cows either go to processed meat - yes, those delicious Findus lasagnes if they're all out of horse:tongue: - or more often aniimal feed. What you eat as a delicious filet mignon with sauce bernaise will be a beef anmal, from an entirely different type of bovine, killed at about 30 months (due to BSE, over-36month ban etc etc - please don't get me into this.......[dragged away by kind doctors]):bigsmile: :laugh:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Still going at it guys?

*Drinks a good cold glass of milk while reading*
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Proof please?

The general public needs the truth. We all want to enjoy our food with a clean conscience. Those who believe cows are treated fairly drink milk, those who do not, do not drink milk.

As a dairy farmer, what was your personal experience and what everyone wants to know is, did the cows suffer pain or abuse?
    Thanks in advance.
    My opinion is that people do not have enough facts to make a true judgement. I don't drink milk because I like the idea of eating food raw and from nature and I'd personally never approach a cow in a field and suckle it. And having dairy causes me skin and respiratory allergies.

Pain or abuse? Absolutely not
    Does it happen? I am sure at some dairy farms it does, but the many that I have worked on, it does not.