Who's getting 130g protein on 1800 cals (or just about)

Options

Replies

• renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you so I'm tagging this post for some suggestions too. I recently up'd my protein, and I dont think I've hit my new goal yet. I realized that I dont eat very much meat for an omnivore so I'm trying to put some poultry or seafood in every meal.

SS's suggestion of adding whey to food is great. I like my protein shakes after a workout, but I dont usually drink a whole suggested serving because I get so full from it. I'll def be looking for some recipes to try with the whey.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Can add if you like!

I'm 55
    61kg

1300- 1600
    135g (AIM) with shakes and food!

Clean eating!!
  • ChristyYerka
    Options
    You can also make a shake with your choice of protein powder, fruits or even coffee... Walden Farms Choco Syrup has 0 calories and goes great with vanilla powder and coffee... but instead of drinking it... put it in little cups and freeze it with a popcicle stick and have ice pops! You have to freeze for about 30 minutes first to get it thick enough for the stick to stand up straight!
  • phylliswhite
    Options
    Another way to eat your protein powder instead of drinking it.

Chia Pudding:
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons chia seeds

Mix and let sit overnight (the longer it sits the more like tapioca pudding it becomes (chia seeds soften)

In the morning, add 1 scoop of protein powder and mix thoroughly

Add mix ins (fruit, granola, chopped raw nuts, ground flax seed)
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eating a slab of chicken or beef may be off putting, but why not make chicken salad? A little mayo (light or regular), some chopped celery and walnuts, salt and pepper, and there's an easy 8 oz of chicken for lunch. As for beef, I throw a couple of sirloins on the grill when cooking another meal and then slice them thinly on the diagonal and put them in the fridge. I have one or two slices here and there throughout the day when I want to snack--no carbs, lots of protein. You can do the same with a marinated london broil--buy a larger one than usual, eat some for dinner, and then slice up the rest and snack on it later for extra protein.

You said meh to beans, but I make a black bean salsa that is fantastic with chips although I'm low carb so I even eat it with a spoon. I got the recipe from Women's Day, but here it is: 1 clove chopped garlic, 2 TB lime juice, 1 TB olive oil, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/2 medium finely chopped onion, one 15.5 oz. can of rinsed black beans, and one diced avocado, salt and pepper to taste. If desired, add 1 seeded jalapeno and some thinly sliced scallions.(I leave these out of the original recipe when i make it) . This makes 6 servings (yeah right, my SIL and I polished off the whole bowl by ourselves) 133 cals and 6 grams of protein per serving.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to open my diary but I can give you an idea of what I eat in a day!!

I usually have 0% fat greek yoghurt, dark chocolate and almond butter for breakfast and some slices of smoked salmon ~35g protein

lunch is usually some form of meat(lamb steak, beef steak or chicken) with a salad ~35-40g protein

dinner is usually a chicken stir fry (at least 150g) with veggies ~35 - 45g protein

then if I want to up my protein i have a protein shake, if I'm feeling like a treat i'll mix it with some chocolate ice cream ~25 protein

I eat around 1700 calories a day and aim for 120g of protein as a minimum. I can sometimes reach that without the protein shake if i have cheese and nuts for snacks.

I don't eat pasta, bread or rice much though but the leaner your protein is (chicken breast instead of chicken thigh for example or don't have read meat daily like I do) the more carbs you should be able to fit in there

WOW your really healthy............Nice food!!!

I might have to try your breakfast........Sounds so yummy!!! I usually have porridge with peanut butter....so yummy!!

:) Thanks.

Breakfast is my favourite meal!!

What I do is melt a square of dark chocolate (as dark as I can find! At the moment I'm using lindt 90%) in a small bowl in the microwave for about a minute then really really quickly mix in the yoghurt so it sort of turns into chocolate yoghurt, then just mix a spoon of almond butter in. yum yum yum.

If you want to use peanut butter I find it best to also microwave that with the chocolate for the last 15 seconds so it mixes in better

Sometimes I have it for dessert too :p
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I easily get my 135g of protein on 1800kcals (I'm having a lower week but keeping protein fixed, only carbs have dropped temporarily).

main protein sources for me are lean turkey, tuna, salmon, fish, chicken and pork as well as EGGS and dairy. I supp with WPI as well when i need to.

it's pretty easy actually (I find it harder to max my carbs LOL)

My diary is only visible to friends so happy for you to amigo me and have a look.

Cheers
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    My diary is open so if you want to look at that. I was getting between 130-150 on about 1800 or less until Sunday. After Sunday, don't look because I changed drastically and have gone on a cyclical ketogenic diet. But going Saturday backwards should give you a good idea what I was doing. I never had a protein "shake" but did routinely incorporate protein powder by including a scoop in the morning by adding it to my morning oatmeal. Protein powders can be a good supplement (with an emphasis on the word SUPPLEMENT) to natural sources and it can be added in a variety of ways besides taking it as a shake. Just use your imagination and see where it leads you.

One thing I have been taught by my dietician is that you don't want to overload the body too much at one time with too much protein. Your body cannot process it and will simply flush what it cannot handle efficiently out as waste -- you're pissing money away, literally. Spreading it out in smaller increments is the best way to let the body most efficiently use the protein for what you want it to do. Having 100g of protein all at once won't do you any good, since 60-80g of it may be simply pissed away anyway. Eat more often and spread the protein around throughout the day. Try to use "real" food, because it is best, but supplement where needed.

Good luck.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm also trying to increase my protein but also want to stay under 1400 cals (on my non-workout days). Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I eat fish 3 times a day...its light and yummy ..Also like eggs and yoghurt....I drink Protein shake just after workout...eating 1500 most days and getting 120-130 grams of protein...
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Chia Pudding:
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons chia seeds

Mix and let sit overnight (the longer it sits the more like tapioca pudding it becomes (chia seeds soften)

Def trying this. Always looking for new ways to use my chia seeds
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Like you I am not big into a slab of meat... a nice rare steak about once a month is good, but that's where I draw the line.

I do love salads though, so I will typically add a chopped up "slab of meat" and that helps to hit my protein, I also will add chickpeas, sunflower seeds or almond slivers, kidney beans or black beans to my salads for a little extra kick.

I am on 1770 calories a day, and the MFP protein suggestion is 66g of protein. I aim for 100, and am usually pretty close.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 1600 cals/day with 180g protein on days I work out (~150g days I don't). I usually do 2 shakes (one when I wake up, the other after working out. If i don't have one when I wake up, I'll have a casein shake before bed) and the rest is from food. I like to make foods in the beginning of the week that I can easily keep with me and have for lunch/snack on all day at work. Some good ones are grilled chicken, tuna patties<---favorites!!!---> ground turkey/chicken muffins, prepared salmon fillets on some lettuce w/ veggies, hard boiled eggs, and cottage cheese w/ almonds.
    If I find that there's a gap in there after I've pre-logged my cals for the day, I'll eat an extra piece of chicken/fish/turkey with dinner to avoid having another shake (they get expensive on 3/day). I like to top my meats for dinner with stuff I like so it's not like I'm jamming half an animal into my stomach just to meet my protein goal. Look up some good salmon/chicken/steak recipes so that you'll enjoy eating meat as the largest part of your dinners if you have to. My favorites are mexican baked tilapia, dijon maple salmon, and italian baked chicken. You just have to get creative with your recipes. Protein is my favorite part of eating =)

Edit to add: I also love adding fat free plain greek yogurt to recipes. That's an awesome way to boost protein. My favorite is a baked sweet potato with red & green salsa with a spoonful of yogurt as the "sour cream"

My dairy's open if you'd like to snoop :smile:
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Somedays I am. It is difficult unless I add in some protein powder. I am starting to get more serious about hitting my macros, but I am at 1800 cals.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Chia Pudding:
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons chia seeds

Def trying this. Always looking for new ways to use my chia seeds

Sounds delicious. I have to find some chia seeds...
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm 154 and 2050 calories, basically the same ratio. Feel free to check mine out!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I TRY to hit at least 130g of protein per day. Sometimes it's lower, sometimes it's much higher but feel free to take a look at it!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am getting in between 100-140 grams at about 1300-1500 calories. My diary is open, though don't pay attention to yesterday, I had some sort of 24 hour stomach bug and ate really light.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I get over 180 grams of protein in on 1600-ish calories.
  • laceylucas86
    laceylucas86 Posts: 120
    Options
    HAVE YOU TRIED BAKING WITH PROTEIN POWDER, I HAVA MDE BANANA AND CARROT MUFFINS WITH GREEK YOGURT AND PROTEIN POWDER WHICH MAKE THEM HIGH IN PROTEIN AND OAT FLOUR. YOU CAN GOOGLE THE RECIPIES :)