WTF???

Options

Replies

• DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Okay, I took a look at your food diary. I noticed you don't log frequently, you miss days, and don't log lunch, dinner and snacks. What you eat isn't very healthy, but if you are eating the exact calories what you say you are eating then good job, that is only if that's true.

* Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? If you haven't I recommend you do that, there are a ton of calculators on the internet for you to do that. * I believe you eat 10% - 15% below your TDEE, you'll have to check on that.

I think perhaps you are not be completely precise with what you are eating, do you tend to snack and forget? Also measure out your food so you know exactly how much you are eating. I got into the habit if I had a "Bad day" I wouldn't log, you need to log every little thing you eat because it all adds up.

BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEST OF LUCK!

* Edit - Check with your doctor
    Also, maybe you need to take a multi-vitamin weight loss is a-lot harder if you are deficient in a vitamin. Check with your doctor first.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My weight doesnt budge much these days. But, I am a size down and continue to see visual improvements.

Tip: Cut the sugar out. Or at least track it to see what you are eating. Try it for a week and see what happens.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For calories burned, a heart rate monitor (HRM) is the best tool I have found. I went through a few before I got one with a chest strap, but it's totally worth any extra you might pay for it.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You can get a heart rate monitor, Polar FT4 are very popular. They are way better at giving you your calorie burn than here. This site over estimates your burn.

Are you weighting/measuring your food?

I have an extremely hard time losing weight. This is due to medical issues and medication, I have learned to be happy if I lose .5 in a month.

Have you started your "change"? That is when all my problems started.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you're over-estimating your exercise calories and think that's the culprit. I can't imagine any exercise I do burning over 1,000 calories.

And you may want to get your thyroid checked just to rule that out.

It can be so frustrating. Good luck on your journey.

Laine

Thank you for your comment. I think you are right about the exercise calories. How do I fix that, not add the exercise? I do have hypothyroidism and I take med's for that.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You could have saved 100+ calories had you chosen a different sweetener and creamer for your coffee this morning.

Going to be hard to lose weight if you aren't going to change the foods you eat.
  • 201rainbow
    201rainbow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but you'll lose weight if you limit your calorie goal to 1300-1400 and ALWAYS fill it! It only takes less than a minute to write down what you had for lunch! And work out a lot! I was at 125 lbs and couldn't lose anymore than I went to the gym and burned 1200+ calories (did that every other day for 1 week) and dropped down 2 lbs!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, too, and have the same observations as many of the other posters. I noticed you eat a lot of sweets and drink a lot of soda. My recommendation is to cut way back on that - empty calories and only feed cravings. I also agree with others that you need to log in everything you eat every day. I have learned I have to do that, or the weight creeps back up quickly. This has become a lifestyle for me, but it's working and just about the easiest thing to do! Start eating more whole grains, beans and vegetables and cut back on the sausage for breakfast, desserts, soda and other fillers that are loaded with fat and sugar but no real nutritional value.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You may want to go see a doctor. Barring a medical condition, this works when you're totally honest with yourself and log everything. I would also add that weighing and measuring is very important...when people just eyeball they almost always underestimate their consumption and it really doesn't take a whole lot of underestimation (or overestimating exercise burn) to collapse your calorie deficit.

Personally, I'd focus on the diet first...get your calories straightened out...go visit with a doctor, etc. Don't worry about exercise right now...you should exercise for overall health and well being, but right now you need to get your diet and calories in order. Once you do that then you can start adding in exercise and exercise calories. BTW, how are you estimating your burn. If you're using a database, it's likely that you are substantially overestimating burn as well. Overestimating burn is a major issue with NEAT method calculators like MFP and people often think they're burning way more than they think they are because they're "working so hard." Truth be told, burning a ton of calories is pretty tough to do.

I used to use a HRM to estimate my burn and if I knocked off a good 30% for error it was fairly accurate. I always did that in conjunction with a simple formula and compared the two burns. The formula is to take 7-10 and multiply that by the number of minutes you exercise...7 being basically the equivalent of a moderately paced walk...you're moving and exercising but you can still hold a conversation, etc. 10 being you can't do anything except focus on the task at hand...you aren't reading a magazine...you aren't watching t.v....you aren't talking to anybody...you're exerting yourself basically to the max. It's all an estimate, but I found that comparing these two and basically assuming the lowest number worked for me.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If lack of internet access is an issue, put pen to paper and log that way so once you do have access to a computer you can fill out your diary and get a better idea of what your calorie intake is.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    There is no excuse to not log your food. If you can't log here, then write it down. There are loads of books, i.e. CalorieKing, that provide a list of calories for food. Also, make sure you measure your foods and not eye them. If you can get a scale, that will greatly help in determining what a serving of something is.

As for exercise calories, if you can get a heart rate monitor, that will help you figure out how many calories you burn. Yes, some do work underwater. For now, try to underestimate your caloric burn by maybe 1/3 if not more.
  • sayrejf
    sayrejf Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 5"10 and 260 pounds. I ride the stationary bike and break a sweat but still consider it in the "light" area. MFP is showing i burn about 345 calories in 35 min. Thought that was high as the bike only shows about 150.00, but thought the bike could be wrong too.
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    log everything and buy a food scales. I found this helps as at the start was just geussing the weight and was totally off. I was eating double the calories should of been. Its gets easier as the weeks go on. One day at a time. Good luck
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary a month+ back in time.

About 50% of the time you don't log at all, and 20% of the time you only log breakfast. Almost everyday that you do log you are under your calories by 300-1000calories. (Also I think maybe you need to take a serious look at whether you truly burn 1600 calories exercising, that would be extremely difficult)

I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you need to be more consistent with this calorie counting before claiming it doesn't work for you?

Also your ticker says you lost 17lbs, is that not true?

I did and thought the exct same thing. You might be able to get away with one or two days of not logging but definitely my guess is you're overestimating your burns and underestimting your portions. Log 100% for 30 days and don't "eat back" your calories, figure out your TDEE based on the hours of exercise you do. Then see if nothing changes... I bet you'lll be surprised.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do you log everyday? Are you honest about what you log? Do you weigh and measure everything you put into your mouth? Do you eat protein first? These are vital to weight loss!

Thank you for you comment. Here are your answers: I try to log in everyday when I have access to the intenet. Yes, I am honest about what I put in my mouth. I weigh but I haven't really measured along the way. I have a really-really hard time eating in the morning, I have to force myself.

I haven't read all responses, so I apologize if I repeat.

But I do agree with most poster that you seriously need to track and be honest. Even if it's a bad day, track. Otherwise you will never know where you are going wrong.

And if you don't have access to the internet every day, stop making excuses and do it the old fashioned way - pen and paper. Keep an actual food journal and record everything. If you don't know the calories, still write it down, then look it up later when you DO have access to the internet. This is the only way to really know where your trouble is. Exercise can only do so much, diet (calories in) is about 90% of weight loss.

Also, I would recommend looking into TDEE. There's a lot of back and forth about it on the forums, but generally TDEE is what MFP wants to be after you "eat back" exercise. I like TDEE because it's a little simpler and IMO a bit more accurate than the MFP calculators. Some good groups for info are:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

I highly recommend this starting point:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    Have you been to your doctor? There are medical situations (insulin, cortisol, thyroid, oestrogen/progesterone balance) which can seriously hamper weight loss. At over 300lb just making a few small changes to healthier options should see at least a small weight loss each week, especially if you are swimming regularly. If your genuinely sticking to a sensible calorie restriction and it's not coming off then something could be amiss with your chemistry.

Thank you for your comment. My doctor is crap! She is no help to me. I have been with her for years and yes, she offers me advise but since I have no insurance I get no testing done to see what is up with me. I have a low thyroid that is treated but that is it. I am trying to quit drinking soda ( love that stuff) been doing fairly well I think, I went from drinking a two liter or more a day of Mt Dew (Liquid Gold) to drinking caffeine free orange soda when I feel the need to have some but I know I need to just stop. When I wasn't logging for those long months I was eating better. I am like a noob again here after being off for months (5 or more) I guess I should have mentioned that.
  • endlessloser
    endlessloser Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Another thing you could do is get a BodyMedia Fit band / monitor.

You wear it on your arm all day (and night if you wish), and it monitors how much you burn all day long, both being sedentary and when you work out.

I bought one back in January, but only actually started using it a few days ago (we moved, it got packed in a box and had trouble finding it LOL).

Anyway, it's definitely been enlightening to see the calories that do burn when you aren't working out, so maybe it's something that would help you? (You can sync it with myfitnesspal too).

One thing to remember:

Every pound is worth 3500 calories, so in order to lose, you must create a 3500 calorie deficit.

While you do get extra calories from working out, you need to make sure that you don't eat "all" of them if you wish to lose, otherwise you're simply maintaining. (At least in my experience).

I struggle as well, but I know for me it's hormones causing the issues. And unfortunately, here it's difficult to get a Dr. who will do further testing for thyroid etc. unless it's blatantly clear there's an issue. (I'm borderline hypothyroid - and they won't treat it no matter how much of a fight I put up).

I've also learned that *what* you eat matters.

i.e., if you eat the same thing every day, but its (for example) carb heavy, (as in pasta, breads), and minimal fruit/veggies, it's going to be much harder to lose. (You can eat a lot more fruit/veggies to equal the same amount of calories in bread for example... so your body might think you're under-eating too).

An alternate would be to try something like:

- the 6 week body makeover (although its very strict, no dairy, no oils even)
    - the food lovers plan

Both are from the same company (different creators), but they do work. The food lovers plan has you make just one simple change per day, which makes it easier to change things.

The 6 week body makeover has you go through a quiz to determine your body type. It's quite informative, even for that part. And then it's pretty much eating LEAN protein at every meal (including snacks) along with your carbs (but fruit/veggie carbs mainly, not breads or pasta) during the losing phase. And you need to eat every 2-3 hours.

Frankly just following those guidelines will save you the cost of a purchase :)

Anyway, I'd do a diet check, I know I don't eat perfect, and I know where I can improve, and while yes, it's a lot slower, the scale DOES eventually go up then down.

Also, if you weigh yourself within a day of doing a workout, especially something you haven't done before, you might find yourself go up rather than down... it's discouraging, but stick with it and a few days later that weight suddenly disappears. (i.e., it was your body's protection mechanisms).

oh - and btw - another thought - your food may be loaded with too much sodium, which would also explain why you might be around your calories but still not losing. A lot of people forget this.

If you buy pre-packaged foods, that's one of the top ingredients - salt/sodium.

So after the diet check to monitor what TYPES of foods you're eating, I'd say get a bodymedia fit device, and also check with your dr.

Just some thoughts from someone who struggles too.

(ps - there's a book I thought was excellent - you can probably still get it at amazon - "where did all the fat go" - it's by the doctor from the biggest loser. It's REALLY interesting from a behind the scenes standpoint too. It might help.)
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    Do you log everyday? Are you honest about what you log? Do you weigh and measure everything you put into your mouth? Do you eat protein first? These are vital to weight loss!

Thank you for you comment. Here are your answers: I try to log in everyday when I have access to the intenet. Yes, I am honest about what I put in my mouth. I weigh but I haven't really measured along the way. I have a really-really hard time eating in the morning, I have to force myself.

I haven't read all responses, so I apologize if I repeat.

But I do agree with most poster that you seriously need to track and be honest. Even if it's a bad day, track. Otherwise you will never know where you are going wrong.

And if you don't have access to the internet every day, stop making excuses and do it the old fashioned way - pen and paper. Keep an actual food journal and record everything. If you don't know the calories, still write it down, then look it up later when you DO have access to the internet. This is the only way to really know where your trouble is. Exercise can only do so much, diet (calories in) is about 90% of weight loss.

Also, I would recommend looking into TDEE. There's a lot of back and forth about it on the forums, but generally TDEE is what MFP wants to be after you "eat back" exercise. I like TDEE because it's a little simpler and IMO a bit more accurate than the MFP calculators. Some good groups for info are:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

I highly recommend this starting point:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Thank you for your comment....I agree with everything you said. That is why I am here and was brave enough to post. I will look onto the threads that you posted. :smile:
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Stop eating crap. Completely. Once you'v experienced some success, are confident that you're permanently on a path to health and fitness, feel free to enjoy some of the crap you're eating now in moderation.

You're not going to be successful if you aren't willing to sacrifice.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    To me it is all a math game. When I go through a spell of "no weight loss" I weigh and measure everything I consume. I record everything single bite. There were many times on this weight loss journey that I felt hungry. Here are some of the tips I was given and found worked for me to get to my 60 pound loss.

When I wake up I immediately drink a pint of water.
    I measure out my water that I want to consume for the day. When it is gone I have completed my goal for the day.
    I chose to eat at the same time everyday. I would set the timer on my stove to go off when it was time for my 100 calorie snacks.
    Prioritized my walks every day. Over time I went from walking around the block to my minimum 2 hour walk most days.
    No more excuses about not having time to prioritize my health.
    No longer did I socialize with non-supportive people that included family.
    I did not go out to eat until I felt I had control.
    Food was an addiction for me and I knew I had to change my routine, people and places to go on this health journey.
    No more eating in front of the TV or by my computer. Less time on the computer and more time outside walking.
    Cleaned out my cupboards and fridge of unhealthy trigger foods.
    Changed my food shopping list. NO MORE JUMK.

I also joined TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly). I do not give TOPS credit for my weight loss but it is an inexpensive way to be held accountable and weigh in every week. I believe it was $28 per year plus whatever the group charges for monthly dues. I do give TOPS credit for helping me maintaining my loss.

There were days I wanted to give up big time. But I realized the excuses I made only harmed myself. Every time I felt hungry I would drink water then wait for my given time to eat. I spent far more time giving thought to counting my calories and changing my way of preparing meals.

Shirley in Sunny Oregon

Was I hungry at times? I sure thought I was...but I realized most of the time it was my addiction/habit talking.

I do wish you the best. If any of the above looks like it might work take what you want and delete the rest. Are journeys are all so personal and working to find what works is not easy.