I am starting a fast...any stories or tips?

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    she lost 42 pounds though, @ a pound a day....i think that is successful...if i do 15 days i should be about where i want to be and then wean myself slowly back to a healthy diet...thats what i am thinking anyway

She also was too weak to take care of her disabled mother, to really do her job, or to shop. Many of the people talked about diminished mental capacity. She developed severe muscle cramps (which she then downplayed when others expressed concern). She developed gout so bad that she couldn't walk. None of that would be considered positive benefits.

It's not just about the weight. The idea that food is toxic is messed up. The idea that, after 20+ days, it was "her nose that wanted food, not her body/stomach" is disturbing. Sure, she lost 42 pounds, but at what costs? How much of what she lost was muscle mass? She claims she was burning just fat, but that doesn't happen in ketosis; she was losing muscle as well.

The part that is the most concerning to me is the sudden, absolute end to posting. What happened to her? After nothing but water for 40 days, she could have had a heart attack (especially because she probably had an electrolyte imbalance). Or a stroke. Or something else. If she was so successful, why didn't she tell people about adding back juice and getting into her re-feed? Especially after they asked? So what happened to her?
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I still hope the OP is bored and trolling. That, too, seems to be going around today.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    subscribed... mostly because BAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

I love watching people like this. Seriously- wildly amusing. the weak... they are the amusement for the strong.

Grow up- get some self discipline and do it the old fashioned way- you know- watching what you eat and working out. Come back when you are ready to make ACTUAL life decisions and we'll support you 100%.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Make a plan. Stick to the plan. For instance, when I fast, I'll usually have around 250 calories on that day. I know exactly when I'm going to end my fast, and usually with what. I drink lots of water and the occasional tea or coffee, but that's pretty normal for me.

ETA: Upon further perusal of comments...don't do it! A 15 day water fast to drop quick weight in order to fit your clothes a certain way...is borderline, if not outright, anorexic behavior. Please, for the sake of your health, do it the right way, do it the healthy way. I'm not against fasting, I do it regularly. But what you are proposing, and the thought processes fueling it, are not healthy.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast

This woman may have lost 42 pounds, but she stopped posting in her journal at day 40. She said she was going to keep posting until day 61 as she juiced and then did the "Daniel fast." She never posted again, probably because she binged and gained the weight back.

she died.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Water-fasting does NOT equal starvation. But it does equal a debate on MFP!

Starvation is a severe deficiency in caloric energy, nutrient, and vitamin intake.

Your statement is invalid.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast

This woman may have lost 42 pounds, but she stopped posting in her journal at day 40. She said she was going to keep posting until day 61 as she juiced and then did the "Daniel fast." She never posted again, probably because she binged and gained the weight back.

I just read that for the first time yesterday and wondered the same thing - what happened to her?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, and to try to learn some discipline...i have a hard time with yo-yo-ing....i was 27 pounds 3 weeks ago and went on an eating binge and have since gained 15lbs....so i want to get that off fast while teaching myself to deny the urge to eat...i often do it for no real reason....its an addiction i think.

Isn't doing a water fast part of a pattern of yo-yo-ing? Look into something like OA or similar treatment for overeating. The long term solution to this problem is to learn to eat moderately, and normally. I don't think a water fast is going to help you. You're going to come back from it set up to hit another 3 weeks of binging.
  • mom38133
    mom38133 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would suggest going to Dr Oz website for tips on fasting or 48 cleansing. You are cleaning your system liver, colon and kidney but not getting weak at the same time. My mother does it once a month. I'm going to do my first one this weekend. It's called 48 hour cleansing.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options

she died.

But she fit into a small coffin.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to Dr Oz website for tips on fasting or 48 cleansing. You are cleaning your system liver, colon and kidney but not getting weak at the same time. My mother does it once a month. I'm going to do my first one this weekend. It's called 48 hour cleansing.

No.

Poop and pee? Ta-da cleansed
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

That was funny in all sorts of wrong ways :/
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

No.

Hush. Females don't do that.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My "tips": Eat at a moderate deficit, strength train, do some cardio and have patience. Drastic measures do not contribute to long term success. Trust me, I know.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Water-fasting does NOT equal starvation. But it does equal a debate on MFP!

Starvation is a severe deficiency in caloric energy, nutrient, and vitamin intake.

Your statement is invalid.

^^
    Stavation: Starvation is the result of a severe or total lack of nutrients needed for the maintenance of life.
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/starvation

The site also lists symptoms of different deficiencies. Many of them are symptoms described by the water fast thread linked earlier, after as little as 15 days of her fast.

This long of a water fast IS starvation.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

she died.

tumblr_m6h84mAoMS1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i looked at your profile pics, very slender, so my tip to you is dont do it

i know a lot of folks who drop weight really quick by eliminating carbs instead, it's a temp fix, but way better than no food at all.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

No.

Hush. Females don't do that.

Oh crap! I forgot and no farting either....... Doh! It slipped
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lineape...if you are going to fast do an Intermittent Fast. That way you will still get nutrients and calories while still fasting throughout the day...it's just not the whole day. All day fasting...although it has amazing results is so temporary and a meal or 2 can make u gain all the water weight back.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options

she died.

tumblr_m6h84mAoMS1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

9bad7qjpg.gif